“a little piece of heaven”

Harrah's Cherokee Hotel
Ranked #2 of 28 Hotels in Cherokee
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We had reservations 4/8/12 we was suppose to stay 5 days, but we had our 22 mos. old grandaughter and decided to stay only 3days. We almost cancelled but decided why not. We all had a wonderful time. Check-in went smoothly I was sent over to the VIP room to check in (don't know why) but I felt special. We stay in the new section of the hotel and it was absolutely gorious and spacious. We loved the walk in shower and my grandaughter had a blass in it also. The sitting area also served as her room where we put up her play pin to sleep. Even though we had to take turn watching her if the other wanted to visit the Casino, it all work out. We strolled her around hotel and outside on the terraces and along the creek. I have been to Las Vegas severals times and this Harrah's looks as good as the 5 stars hotels in vegas, Great job remodeling, looks great. We do so love to visit Cherokee, nc

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family

Reviewed 23 April 2012

Late late Friday afternoon we decided to make a run from Charlotte up to Cherokee. We called and were able to get comp rooms. We had a wonderful time playing this trip. We were cautious and lucky and came home as a couple 1500 ahead. We tried some new games and really had fun. We tried the new Paula Deems seafood last night and it was outstanding.....great price wonderful quality.

We have already booked a return trip...

• Stayed: April 2012
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I am one of those people that can sleep through EVERYTHING. I stayed in the Mountain Tower this past Friday night, and it was LOUD through the walls. I heard every time someone entered/left their room. The beds were comfortable and the room was huge, but I definitely did not sleep well.

The property is nice, and keeps getting nicer everytime I go there!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 April 2012

I've spent 22 nights in the hotel this year. All but one stay was in the Creek Tower. The other one was in the Mountain Tower which was inconvenient and not nearly as nice as the Creek Tower. Our room has always been ready when we've arrived. We usually get there around 2:00 or 3:00 p.m. but have been both earlier and later. We've never had to wait more than a few minutes to check in.

Initially, we used the valet parking but not the baggage assistance. However, after lugging our things a couple of times, we decided it made more sense to let someone with a luggage cart deliver everything to our room. Each member of the bell staff that has served us has been friendly, polite, and helpful. If it is going to take a while for them to do something, they let us know about how long it might be. The employees in the Valet department are also very helpful.

The trek from the Creek Tower to the casino is long and the return trip is uphill. There are lots of people who appear to have difficulty with the long walk. A golf cart is available as a shuttle but for only limited hours. The cart shares the same "path" as the walkers which can get crowded. It would be nice if the passageway between the hotel and the casino was made a tobacco-free area. Remove the ashtrays and maybe people will refrain from smoking. (One can only hope.)

The guys at Johnny Rockets are great. Try their pancakes for breakfast. Strawberry milkshakes have real chunks of strawberries. The cashiers never get flustered even when the lines get long. The clean-up crew tries to keep the tables and chairs clean as soon as diners leave.

Some times at the slots are better than others. Like others, I've seen smoking in the non-smoking area. I usually tell the smokers that they are in the wrong area.

Overall, I think management should hire and train more personnel for cleaning the hotel rooms and the casino. I ran my finger through the dust on a vent on the side of a $1.00 slot machine in January. As of last weekend, I could still see the track my finger made. I take packaged clean-up towelettes with me to clean the areas my hands touch on the slot machines. I play both day and night but have yet to see someone cleaning the slots machines. I consider it taking care of "my machines."

I go to play, not for the shows so I can't comment on the entertainment. Most people seem to enjoy hearing the oldies music in the elevators.

I look forward to going to Harrah's Cherokee Casino and Hotel again sometime soon. The other players are fun to meet and share our ups and downs at the slots. It is close enough to my home to be a convenient mini-vacation destination.

Room Tip: We've been upgraded to a two-bedroom suite a couple of times. If you have a problem with height...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Sarah W
Reviewed 17 April 2012

My company had a meeting at this hotel, so I had to stay there for two nights. Based on the other reviews I'd read, i wasn't too excited to stay there. As a heavy traveler, I'm used to being treated well by a hotel, and I have no status with Harrah's.

My first concern was the fitness room. I emailed our meeting coordinator at the hotel for specific information about the facility and he sent me a cut and paste paragraph from the website. On pushing him for more info or photos, he sent me a different cut and paste paragraph from the website about what the new facility would be like in the future. Since the group sales rep was no help, I called the hotel's general number and the rep was honest in saying he hadn't "been down there in a while, but I think it has a tread mill and a bike, and maybe some weights". Upon arriving, I checked out the exercise room and found it had a busted-up bike, three rough-looking treadmills, and a decent weight machine. It's a dump!

Check in was nothing extraordinary. A long line on a Monday afternoon, and an agent that wasn't warm or friendly.

The hotel room was surprisingly nice. Like everybody says -- it is a lonnnnnnggg walk from the room to anywhere else on property (which is a nice warm up when you're headed to the gym). But the mountain tower room was large, and nicely furnished.

The meeting rooms were nice and clean. The catered food for the meetings was mediocre -- baked goods were stale, coffee in the big dispenser was lukewarm.

It's really not a great place for a meeting. The campus is just not set up well for it. For example, breakfast restaurants don't open until 7 am in the morning and at night you can't run a tab at the bar, so entertaining employees is difficult.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business