“So Happy”

Holiday Inn Express Charlotte-Arrowood
Ranked #109 of 180 Hotels in Charlotte
Reviewed 19 September 2011

I think this hotel is the greatest. The front desk staff was very nice and helpful. They were so friendly and wanting to make my stay there pleasant. I loved the breakfast and the pool area was very clean. The GM was at the desk one morning and she even asked if everything was ok and when I stammered with an answer she was so willing to correct any problem. I will be staying here when I come back to Charlotte again.

Room Tip: Lower floors add quick access to breakfast and the parking lot if you have meetings off site.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Counselor817

Reviewed 11 September 2011

We stayed in this hotel for 2 nights as part of our "States of Independence" tour. We chose this hotel for 2 reasons. One, it was only a short drive to Carowinds theme park and two, we needed easy access by public transport into Charlotte for a concert at the Time Warner Cable Arena.
When we checked in we told the manageress why we were visiting the area, and she informed us that she thought the Taylor Swift concert had been cancelled. She then looked up on the internet and then even phoned the venue to confirm and found out how we could go about getting a refund on our tickets. This service was above and beyond the expected. Throughout our short stay all the staff were very courtious and professional.

Our room was large and very clean and comfortable, and all the ammenites are what you would expect from a Holiday Inn.
Breakfast is included and is a typically Holiday Inn Express "start" breakfast, including hot freshly cooked cinnamon rolls, egg, bacon / sausages and grits (still can't eat these !!), cereals including froot loops (hell yeah !!) make your own pancake machine, bagels and breads and juice and coffee - plenty to set you up for the day.
The location for us was ideal, but there is very little in the area of the hotel. Access into Downtown Charlotte was easy by Public transport - bus 56 stops outside the hotel and takes you to Arrowood station, where the Lynx light railway takes you to the heart of the city.
You can also purchase discount admission tickets to Carowinds, home of the AWESOME Intimidator roller coaster, which is highly recommended.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank anjoco69
Reviewed 31 July 2011

This was our first time we have stayed here and will be our last. The hotel was booked solid on Fri and Sat only. We stayed 5 days. The front desk clerk was nice and the breakfast was great and plentiful every day. However the housekeeping was atrocious. Our room was clean when we arrived. The beds were not great but do-able. The first two days at 4:30 pm I had to go down to front desk and ask if our room would be straightened up and refreshed. As the maids were going out the door...one was retained to go up and clean our room. On Sunday I dopped a cherry stem on the Bathroom floor...it was still there on Tuesday when we checked out. On Monday night when we came into our room, we found 3 sheets of toilet paper on the roll. I went downstairs at 11 pm and asked for toilet paper. The best that could be found was 1/2 a roll found in the public bathroom which was then given to me. There were never any towels in the pool area for 4 days. The last 2 days we only had 3 towels instead of 4 left in our room...and hair conditioner...no shampoo. The housekeeping was not up to HIE standards by any means. For the price we paid, I will find somewhere else to stay the next time we visit family in the area.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank TigerLily1010
madea415, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Charlotte-Arrowood, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2011

I am very sorry to hear of your experience here at Holiday Inn express & Suites,Arrowood. I would have liked to have had the opportunity to speak with you during the five days you stayed with us. As the General Manager, I take every guest concern very seriously and would liked to have been able to address the issues while you were still a guest with us.
I'd like to respond that the mattresses are chosen by IHG (the Holiday Inn parent company) and not us as an individual property. Ihg puts much time and efforting into choosing the best products for our guests. Most of the guests love our matresses and we frequently get calls from guest inquiring as to where they can purchase that exact mattress.I would imagine that it is very difficult to find a product that pleases eveyone, so for this we do apologize.

Not cleaning a bathroom floor is completely unacceptable here at Arrowood. It would be helpful to me as a GM to be made aware of an incident like this as soon as the guest is aware of it. We keep very detailed info about the cleaning of each and every room. Since this review left no information, ie. guest name, dates of stay or room number; it is virtuely impossible for me to investigate. I have check the front desk communication logs and I can find no record of this having been communicated with the front desk either.

The TP incident is completely unacceptable as well. That is absolutely "NOT" typical of the level of service given here at this property. Again, I would love to have known who at my front desk did such a thing. While this is unexcusable and not tolerated by me from any member of my staff, there is little a GM can do if guests do not communicate such concerns with the management of any property (particularly when it can be verified and addressed).

Also, we do not keep pool towels in the pool area during Carowind season due to the fact that about half of our inventory end up at carowinds. Towels are always available at the front desk 24 hours a day.

Again, I am sorry about any negative experience resulting from your stay here at Arrowood. As to the cleanliness of our rooms, I will proudly let our August 2011 cleanliness inspection score of 98.49 speak for itself.

I wish you a more plesant experince on your next stay in Charlotte.

Yours in Service,
GM

Reviewed 15 June 2011

My husband, child, and I stayed in the Holiday inn Express Arrowood last over the weekend. Parts of the stay were mediocre at best while other parts sucked. The front desk staff was very short, the maintenance man was horrible and the breakfast staff was rude. The beds were the worst Ive ever experienced in a HIE and there was a large teenage group up slamming doors and running down the hallway all hours of the night. (I realize that this wasnt the hotel's fault, however the way they handled it was... they took no action although they told us at 1130 pm when we called after enduring the noise for 4 hours that they had received several complaints.

My husband went to get breakfast after working out in the pitiful gym. It was 929 am when he walked in the breakfast area and the staff told him it was closed. Really? I mean they are just going to throw away the leftover food anyway.

We also had an issue with the pool. We started to get in it one morning only to find white crystals floating all over it. My husband went to the front desk when the clueless staff said she didnt know what they were. My husband tracked down the maintenance man who told us he had shocked the pool an hour before. It was good that we noticed it before our child got in or she could have had serious chemical burns.

Over all downright indifference on the staff's part was the worst part of the stay. No one ever smiled or said hi.

Find another hotel to stay in... there are tons on this and the 1st exit!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank sarcasdic
madea415, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Charlotte-Arrowood, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2011

I am very sorry that your stay with us was so unpleasant. As I told your husband earlier - we strive to make every guest stay a superior one here at HIE Arrowood, and we succeed with "most" guests. It is not a perfect world a we are not perfect people. We do our best to deliver superior service here at Arrowood and we excel in this area; as our previous Guest Service awards support.
There was a ball team in house and I am sure this was the cause of the noise. I apologize for any inconvenience this may have cause you or your family. We will do a better job at managing large groups in the future.
Our breakfast runs from 6:30am to 9:30 am M-F and 700am-10:00am Sat. & Sun. When your husband came to the desk to inquire about breakfast it was 9:44. I was in the front office and witnessed the encounter. I would love to be able to keep breakfast open as long as all of my guest would like, but considering everyones different internal clocks, that would make us a restaurant. Your husband was able to get some breakfast from the items that had not been pulled from the bar at that time.
I’m sure you as a reasonable person understands that many people are in and out of the pool and sometimes less responsible people don’t treat the property with care. Our response, once we become aware of it is to address the issue – which we did. Also, there is no reason why the individual working the front desk should know what some other guest has thrown into the pool. Her job once she becomes aware of it is to contact the Chief Engineer; which she did - it then becomes his responsibilty to correct it; which he did. He closed the pool and put "Pool Closed" the sign on the door. There was no chance of your child getting into the pool with the high chemical levels unless you would have disregarded the posted sign on the entrance door to the pool.
We do an excellent job at pleasing “most” people. I am sorry that we failed to meet your standards. It’s obvious that we failed to please you or your husband on your stay here. I sincerely hope on your next visit to Charlotte that you and Mr. Hall will find accommodations that are more to your liking.
Thank you for the feedback. We view every guest feedback as an opportunity to come up higher and we will do so with yours. We are still a work in progress.

Your in Service,
"KC"

Reviewed 26 April 2011

Stayed here 3 nights. Room was clean & Hotel was quiet. The entire staff were very friendly. My family enjoyed having breakfast there each morning. Overall, it was a nice place to stay.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family