“Breakfast at Sunrise”

Sunrise Restaurant
Ranked #357 of 2,480 Restaurants in Charlotte
Cuisines: American
Reviewed 10 November 2016

My husband and I decided to have breakfast at Sunrise this morning. Sunrise is a diner with breakfast, sandwiches, pasta dishes, hamburgers, and dinner plates that are the home cooked style. It serves, breakfast all day, and is open for lunch and dinner as well. It is rather small and several of the booth seats need to be reupholstered. I hate sitting on a seat that has cracks...never know what's inside them...

The sanitation grade has come up to 97 which made me very happy!

I’ve posted about the Sunrise before about dinner, so let me talk to you about breakfast. We had the breakfast special which comes with your choice of either one or two eggs cooked the way you want them, bacon or sausage, grits or hash browns, and toast or biscuits. Your coffee or soft drink is additional of course.

The breakfast plates are huge and I’m sorry to say I forgot to take pictures. I ordered scrambled eggs, grits and bacon. One half of my plate was grits, the other half was eggs and my two slices of bacon lay on top of both. I ordered toast. I should tell you that the plates are the big oval kind.

My husband ordered his eggs over easy, hash browns and sausage. He ordered biscuits. The biscuits were huge, made from scratch, and he said they were good. My eggs were good and the bacon was cooked perfectly -- crispy and not under-cooked or overcooked. My grits were yellow today so I think they may have added cheese, which I don’t usually like, but they tasted good. I just couldn’t eat them all!

For breakfast, Sunrise also has pancakes, waffles – all the usual breakfast items and for those of you who like it, they even have liver mush!

I love the breakfasts here and I think you will, too!

Reviewed 17 October 2016 via mobile

Low key cheap diner. Always breakfast available. Always friendly staff, nice owner, we've been eating here for years.

Reviewed 18 September 2016

I have eaten at the Sunrise since it was a breakfast only restaurant and transitioned to an all day restaurant. We have not been in a while because their sanitation grade had dropped below a 94 and that’s my limit for eating anywhere; today it had a 98.
Tonight I had the cured ham sub. The sandwich itself is good, but I hate those large steak fries they offer as a side. The sides are a cup of soup, salad, or fries. I got the fries because the soup was vegetable and they put beans in the soup which I don’t like. The fries are never cooked completely, I guess because they’re so big.
I do like their baked spaghetti and the baked chicken with stuffing that is a special on Tuesdays, I think.

They remodeled a few years ago and it looks a lot better, even though it is looking a little worn out now. That carpet just has to go – it’s so dirty looking. The booth seats used to have large splits in them before they remodeled, and that just creeped me out…no telling what’s down in there! I just cant sit in a seat that is torn or taped up.

Anyway the food is mostly home cooked style which I really don’t like because it’s kind of “country style”. I do like the stuffing that comes with the baked chicken and I usually order double stuffing. They used to have the most wonderful homemade chicken soup, but since we haven’t been in a while I don’t know if it is still good or not; they have a different soup every day. I like the BLT sandwiche, the cured ham sub, and the French dip sandwich. My co-workers and I meet there for breakfast sometimes and I love the breakfast. The special consists of two eggs cooked any way you want it, bacon or sausage, hash browns or grits, and toast or biscuits. I usually get scrambled eggs, bacon, grits, and toast. You get tons of grits and they are very good. The price for breakfast is fair and much better than its competition’s for what you get. I actually like the breakfast better than the dinner items and they do serve breakfast all day. Oh, yeah, they have liver mush as an option for those of you who eat that.

The clientele is mostly senior citizens, but people of all ages do eat there. I’ve noticed in the last three years though, that the customer base is dropping and it’s not very busy like it used to be. Not sure why, but I do hope they don’t close…

Reviewed 30 June 2016 via mobile

I go here all the time its very family oriented all the waitresses are great and really nice and I love the breakfast here plus is super cheap!

Reviewed 27 June 2016

WENT TO DINNER AFTER BEING AWAY 6 MONTHS. FOOD HAS SLIPPED QUALITY WISE AND TASTE. MEDIOCRE AT BEST. I know their clientele is older and on a fixed income and food has gone up on price but it has been cheapened so that the quality has gone. Time to rework menu with better food and adjust the prices. Have a set seniors menu section and offer that. Good food satisfies better than a lot of low quality.