“Great ribs”

Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Neighbourhood: University City North
Neighbourhood: University City North
Reviewed 25 February 2013

Nice BBQ joint, some of the best riibs around. Walking distance to the Hilton. They also now have some great salads and burgers, nice bar area with many beers on tap.

Reviewed 19 February 2013 via mobile

Just came out on a week night and my hope for this place is they are on the A game more on weekend nights. It was slightly later than the supper rush but they had a manageable crowd in my opinion.

I had no real complaints about the food. Everyone at the table with me enjoyed their meal. I had the ribs and pulled pork. Ribs were great, pulled pork a little dry. I was wondering if maybe I just got the last of the earlier diner's tidbits that mine may not have been as moist...I dunno.

There is absolutely nothing askew with the menu or price for a restaurant in a metropolitan area like Charlotte.

The waitstaff was nominal at best. I really don't put ALL the blame there it all starts with good management and leadership. Long wait time between beverages and taking the food order. No utensils after meal was brought (I didn't realize was missing until my plate had arrived)

I'm hopeful that the real problem from beginning of the typical dinner service on a weeknight to closing was bad follow through (golfer analogy) Provably had a great beginning but not strong to the finish and THAT my friends is what brings back customers.

Reviewed 3 February 2013

This was not our first choice of a restaurants, we only came to this restaurant because Macaroni Grill was crowded. They had a medium crowd not crowded not empty, So we were seated immediately. The waitress came over and she seemed a little rushed when she asked for our drink order. I asked a few questions about the menu in which she seemed to get a little more irritated. We finally ordered and when I tasted my salad dressing it tasted like pure honey mixed with mustard, I had ordered balsamic the vinegar. The waitress stated that that was the Balsamic vinegar even though I tasted no vinegar in it and she seemed even more irritated. One of my guest with me ordered a baked potato with butter and sour cream and it was cold. The waitress took back the baked potato and brought yet another potato after 20 minutes of waiting, and it too was cold. Finally after 30 minutes of talking to managers and waitresses, finishing her meal, we finally got a potato that had a little heat to it and could melt the butter and sour cream.

My biggest complaint for the night was the loud vulgar music playing in the background, If you are going to play music with cursing and derogatory terms in it you need to play the radio version! There were children in the restaurant and I just felt so embarrassed and ashamed that they will play this type of music in a restaurant where people are paying good money. They have pool tables which made the matter a little worse because guys were over there cursing and talking vulgar at the pool tables also.

The food was just mediocre some of the items tasted pretty good, most items were just inundated with sugar. The manager discount our bill $6 but I don't even know if that was worth my coming back...

Reviewed 29 January 2013

First time visiting Smokey Bones BBQ and I found both the food and ambiance great. When I travel, I always try to find a BBQ place to taste the local ribs and the ribs here were outstanding and I was glad that I found this place.

Atmosphere was great with the bar located in the middle of the restaurant. Though I was by myself, I didn't feel as if I was by myself. Nice and friendly waiter/waitresses and bartenders.

Great place for a solo traveler or a family. If you are in Charlotte and are in the mood for BBQ, don't walk but run to this establishment and you will not leave hungry but very full and satisfied.

Reviewed 11 January 2013

We went to Smokey Bones at the last moment, and that was a big mistake! First off, looking at the menu, they are ridiculously expensive. We all ordered hamburgers, I wanted my med rare, my daughter wanted w/ Mayo, my wifes well done. The waiter brought the food out and said" We are out of Mayo" What kind of restaraunt is out of Mayo? My Hamburger was like a paper weight and well done. Needless to say , We won't be going there again. We were wondering why the parking lot was fairly empty on a Saturday night, and now we know. Just Horrible!!