“Great hotel - but the parking killed it”

HYATT house Charlotte Center City
Ranked #11 of 178 Hotels in Charlotte
Reviewed 25 June 2012

I'll start on the good, the room was huge, super modern, clean, and had a mini kitchen (fridge, stove, sink, microwave, dishes). I was surprised the room cost so little compared to what I got. The location was also great, very centrally located in the heart of the city. But of course with being in the heart of the city you then have the dreaded parking issues.

A few of the other reviews talked about the parking. Not much bothers me so I thought it couldn't be that bad or that it would bother me. I was wrong. I was driving a rental car covered by my company - both have my company and the rental car company have a clause stating I'm the only person who can drive the car, so my first problem was when the hotel told me the only hotel parking is required valet and it costs $22 (with in-and-out privileges). And no, I couldn't just drive it into the garage to unload and check in. It was required valet for $22 for one minute or 24 hours.

As other reviewers stated there are other cheaper parking lots very close to the hotel but none had in-and-out privileges, though I don't think you would get caught doing so in the lot just east of the hotel. I parked in these lots and was ok until I got sick.

Running a 102.6 temperature I decided I would valet the car because I couldn't get into bed quick enough. At 2:00 in the afternoon, I went to valet my car and I had to wait, they were backed up or something. At 2:00 pm for $22 I should have some service wouldn't expect to have a wait.

To sum it up, it is a great hotel but just add the $22 on to what ever they quote your for the room price and don't expect great valet service.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank ksm67e
Management response:Responded 26 June 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We are pleased that overall you liked out hotel.
As far as our parking, we do only offer valet parking in our lot for convenience to you, and for the safety our guests and their vehicles. Valet parking is very common, and all rental companies will permit valet to their vehicles since they do carry their own insurance as well.
As far as pricing, please consider using Hyatt.com, as we have a parking inclusive package on there where we lower our room rate to help compensate for some of the parking fees. You can end up saving about $10 per night on your overall costs if you have a car.
We will bring up the wait with our Valet company, sometimes we do have short delays depending on what we have in the hotel with our groups and events.
Thank you again for your review, and please let us know if there is anything else we can do to help.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for HYATT house Charlotte Center City

Reviewed 16 June 2012

I was visiting Charlotte for a meeting. The conference hotel was sold out so I looked online and this hotel fit the bill location and price wise. I had researched the CATS Sprinter bus, which runs every half hour down town. For the green traveler or one on a budget, you can't beat a $1.75 bus fare! I had to wait just 15 minutes, but once on bus, got downtown in 25! Route 5 btw, and if you forget, one of the nice ladies at the info desk can give you a schedule, and some restaurant coupons too! The stop was a block from the hotel, no problem even with luggage.
I was greeted with an appropriate blast of air conditioning but a warm welcome from front desk. Room was well appointed including nicely applianced kitchenette and modern decor. I was able to walk to several restaurant choices and a CVS, which was a welcome change from being stuck with the selection in lobby, although the bar area was very inviting. In morning they had a better than average buffet including made to order omlettes with lots of filling choices. After my meeting, I headed back to pick up my bag and they called a car service to bring me back to airport, which was a nice upgrade and at same price as cab.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank ctscoutmom
matthew_allen30, Director of Sales at HYATT house Charlotte Center City, responded to this reviewResponded 18 June 2012

Thank you so much for the great review you left us here! How fortunate for us that your host hotel was sold our and you chose to stay at our hotel. We look forward to seeing you the next time you come to Charlotte!

Reviewed 15 June 2012

My fiancée and I stayed here for our recent visit to NC on personal business and I had a few deliveries set up for him, celebrating our anniversary as well. The hotel staff was very accommodating and ensured that the deliveries were made to our room instead of having him go down to the front desk (which would have ruined my surprises). The staff was very nice and friendly. The hotel sits in the middle of Uptown Charlotte and is in walking distance of some great attractions like the Time Warner Cable Arena (Home of the Bobcats) and the Bank of America Stadium (Home of the Carolina Panthers, Go Panthers!!!) It also has a nice nightlife that is not too rowdy but still fun!

***Oh did I mention that Charlotte is the home of NASCAR?!?!!!***

Great Stay at the HH in Charlotte!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank ShellynMass
Management response:Responded 25 June 2012

Thank you for including us on your annviersary celebration! I am glad that we were able to accomodate all your needs on your special day. Its great to see you were able to get out and enjoy some of the nightlife and restaurants that Charlotte has to offer.
We hope to see you again at the HYATT house!

Reviewed 13 June 2012

Just returned from a weekend stay at this well-located property in downtown Charlotte. I found it to be excellent value for my dollar. Highlights: I arrived very early on a Saturday morning, but they let me check in early, no problem. On the back end, I was able to leave my luggage and rental car in their parking garage quite late without getting charged. The room was a mini-suite, very comfortable and well-appointed. I like how the large flat screen tv swiveled between the sofa and the bed. The unit had a small kitchenette which I did not use as breakfast was included. Service throughout my stay was excellent; efficient and friendly. I have nothing but good things to say about this place. The only curious omission was no safe in the room, which I would think is pretty standard these days.

Room Tip: High floor is good. Avoid 7th floor where they have parties and a pool/spa so it's busy.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank flunie
matthew_allen30, Director of Sales at HYATT house Charlotte Center City, responded to this reviewResponded 13 June 2012

Thank you for taking a moment to write about our hotel, and thank you for such a wonderful review. I am sorry we do not have the in-room safe, I am not sure why it was omitted as well, but we do offer safety deposit boxes at the front desk for your convenience. Please make sure you consider us the next time you are in the Charlotte area!

Reviewed 31 May 2012

I was visiting the Charlotte area for CIAA and decided to stay at this hotel based on pricing and location. The hotel is located just two blocks from the Epicenter which was the main spot my friends would hang out for the weekend. The room was very nice and upscale. We we especially impressed with the free breakfast in the morning. My issues came when we decided to valet park, this hotel has no drive around or real area to keep your vehicle while waiting for a valet. When we checked in we were told by valet that he didn't know who's bright idea it was to only staff two valets on one of the busiest check-in days of the year. And he was correct valet was very unorganized and with so many streets blocked off traffic was a nightmare to get through to valet. And we were often left waiting for long periods of time to get the vehicle. Also unlike most hotels, this hotel had no nightlife after 10-11 on one the busiest weekends of the year. Quite a few guest were walking to other hotels in the area that had a more lively atmosphere. I even asked the staff if the hotel was really trying to make money if they couldn't even extend bars hours for just one week and the front office girl replied she wasn't sure, but they must not. While not a bad hotel, I will be looking for somewhere with a more happening night life next year.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank atbell21
matthew_allen30, Director of Sales at HYATT house Charlotte Center City, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2012

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel for your stay over CIAA. We are pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay with us, and I would like to take a moment to address your concerns.
We have recently added a new drive up area that cars can sit while either unloading or waiting for the valet to return. This project will actually be completed this week.
I do apologize for the comments from our valet, and we do communicate all special event weekends with our valet company, this should not be an issue moving forward.
We do keep our bar hours flexible (typically we close around 11 but can stay open longer if we have guests). On these types of weekends, it can be difficult with most of our guests out most of the day and evening, and just returning at or later than 11. For next years event, we are reviewing our bar times once again.
Thank you again for your review, and please do not hesitate to contact us if we can be of assistance in the future.