“Nice place to stay”

Ranked #8 of 17 Hotels in Chapel Hill
New York City, New York
“Nice place to stay”
Reviewed 29 May 2012

First time at a Courtyard. The location was good. Close to UNC but a little out of the way. Needed a car to go almost anywhere. Neat, clean hotel. Good value. Beautiful room nice lobby. Friendly staff. Would have been nice to have an outdoor pool. It was really hot. Outdoor patio was a nice touch. I would stay there again.

• Stayed May 2012
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (82)
Wilkes Barre
Reviewed 22 May 2012

I would like to thank Cynthia Knight and the general manager for correcting a misunderstanding on my bill. Also, the room was comfortable for a middle class person without all the extras that you usually pay for and don't use. I recommend the breakfast. Everyone was nice.

Room Tip: We stayed on floor 4; the elevator was fast. Ask for a discount.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
CrystalBynumGM, General Manager at Courtyard Chapel Hill, responded to this review, 30 May 2012
Thank you for the review of our hotel. I am happy to hear that we were able to correct the misunderstandning with your bill. We hope that we have the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.

Thanks!
Pittsburgh
Reviewed 22 May 2012

Please read other "Terrible" review, don't take my word on this along.

You make your reservations more than 45 days in advance, follow all of the rules, show up and are told you are being "walked" to another Hotel as they are over booked. Still have not figured out what "Walked" means, must be Marriott speak for "Get Out".

We were booked for 4 nights, they made a one night reservation at another Hotel we had to find on our own, in the dark. We were on our own for the rest of our stay.

No apology, no directions, no gratuity, just hit the road with a cold impersonal form letter that had been copied a thousand times, telling the new Hotel we were entitled to one night and one phone call on the Marriott.

As a frequent business travelers we were not happy and will never use them again.

To their credit when I did call Marriot Corporate and complain that I at least would like my points, the General Manager did accomodate them, just what we would have gotten if we had stayed the 4 days, and a little more (please, about $5 worth). I should never have had to ask.

No Thanks, there are better places to stay.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank mLIZp
Thank you for the review of our hotel. There has been a situation in the last month in which we had an unforeseen circumstance that placed the hotel in a situation to relocate a few guests. In this scenario, we pay for the first room night and welcome you back to the hotel on subsequent nights. We take full responsibility for the issue that caused the limited availability of guest rooms which is why we pay for your one night stay.

If the point compensation isn't what you expected, please feel free to contact me directly at (919) 883-3402. I want to be sure that you are satisfied with the compensation so that we can maintain your loyalty to the brand.

Thanks and I look forward to hearing from you soon.

San Diego, California
Reviewed 11 May 2012

This hotel is obviously quite new - and it includes many nice features beyond what I usually see in a Courtyard.

The lobby is very large with high ceilings - which creates a great atmosphere upon arrival. The front desk staff were VERY friendly and welcoming. There is a nice (and pretty large) bar area where you can sit, enjoy a beverage and unwind/chat. I did not eat at the restaurant, but it looked fine.

There is a very handy 'cafe' where you can purchase snacks, yogurt, juice, water, beer, and wine by the glass - as well as sandwiches, salads and cereals. For those times when you just want to grab a healthy bit of food to take to your room, this cafe was ideal.

My room was extremely clean, and the internet service was fast for a hotel of this size that must have MANY people using the internet connection at the same time. Everything in the room was relatively new and worked just fine (refrigerator, coffee maker, TV, etc.)

While Courtyard hotels are certainly targeted at business travelers, this one was a 'cut above' the standard business hotel for the same price as more average alternatives.

Room Tip: Get a room that ends in "01" (like 301, 401, etc) they are corner rooms that are slightly...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank MarkSandieg0
Thank you for the review of our hotel. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and found many nice things to say about the staff and hotel. We aren't the typical Courtyard hotel and take pride in providing a unique experience.

We hope that we have the opportunity to serve you again in the near future.

Thanks,
Asheville, North Carolina
Reviewed 6 May 2012

The room was relatively clean, but there were a couple of glaring errors by housekeeping (which I always attribute to poor management/poor training): upon opening the little lotion bottle toiletry in our bathroom, we found the lotion top was caked with old, dried-out lotion; there was a completed hotel evaluation form in our room...it was dated 3/1/2012...we stayed in the hotel on 4/25/2012 so that completed evaluation form had been sitting in our room for nearly two MONTHS without being picked up or looked at by any staff member (yucky!).

Overall, I would say this is a TOTAL businessman hotel. It definitely caters to men traveling on business, but it didn't appeal to us. Here are some reasons I call it a Businessman hotel: The room decor is dated with a very masculine aesthetic (look at the photos I posted to see what I mean). No breakfast is included, but you can print for free from their computers in the lobby. The workout room has giant windows that overlook the indoor pool and hot tub (seriously!!). The TV channels were definitely NOT to my tastes as they get TONS of sports channels, every news channel you could think of, and the basic network channels, BUT they do NOT have Bravo, TLC, WE, nor HGTV. They just did not have very many TV channels compared to comparable hotels. They did get HBO, which was very nice.

One of the biggest downsides of the hotel was that there were no restaurants within walking distance. You had to get in your car and drive somewhere if you wanted to get food. We drove to a nearby grocery store for salads and empanadas for dinner, and left the hotel for breakfast (no free breakfast though you can order food in the lobby if you like). There is free coffee in the lobby during the morning hours, but it is NOT Starbucks coffee, as the sign in the elevator leads you to believe.

The rooms do have a mini-frig, but they do NOT have microwaves. The single window in the room is really very small compared to most hotel's window/s.

Overall, this is the fifth hotel I've stayed at in Chapel Hill, and it was probably my least favorite. I didn't like the location, the TV channel selection, nor the value-for-money here. I won't stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple