“I think the chef cannot cope”
Review of Trilussa - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Trilussa
Price range: US$ 21 - US$ 30
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood, Spanish
Reviewed 7 January 2012

Poor, poor man, he has great cooking talent when not under pressure! I had some wonderful dinners there. It's the experience that wavers for the customers. It's an emotional roller coaster and the mood is cooked within the food you are served.

Catch the chef on a good night, your golden. Catch the chef on a less than good night, don't go! But how would you know until you show up?

1  Thank Paisleyday

Reviewed 12 April 2010

I ate here over winter and i can safely say it was the worst meal I've had in my six years of living in the Triangle area. We waited forever for water and bread, and then for a tasteless appetizer. I ordered the risotto, but the waitress brought out an entirely different dish. When pressed, she stated without apology that "we are out of risotto." Never mind that I might have liked to choose my own replacement meal. What was ordered by the other people in my party, however, was so foul that perhaps it would not have mattered. The pasta sauce was sub-Ragu. The butter was served in plastic packets. The food was only mildly warm. I wouldn't have been surprised to learn they just microwaved some Lean Cuisine meals and served them on plates. Even when we expressed how unacceptably bad the meal was (and that I never got the entree I ordered), no apology was given, no refund issued (yep, they charged me for the non-existent risotto).

2  Thank trotskycore
Reviewed 9 December 2009

We have eaten at Trilussa several times when our son was a student at UNC. He has now graduated but we continue to return to Trilussa for what has always been a wonderful meal, reminding us of so many wonderful meals in Italy. When crowded with people, the somewhat worn decor is not as noticeable. But the reason to go is not for beauty but for the authentic food and good times with friends.

Reviewed 16 February 2009

We had eaten a few times at Trilussa when we lived in Chapel Hill and had found the food quite good and the atmosphere charming. So for Valentines day this year I thought it would be nice to drive into Chapel Hill for a cozy dinner. Mistake! When I made the reservation the Chef/owner was explicit that we must arrive no more than 10 minutes early or 10 minutes late - we arrived exactly on time at 7:30 and realized at once there would be trouble. There was a line on the pavementoutside of people dressed for a night out - but not outside in 40 degree weather! It turns out that some of them were still waiting for their 7 pm reservations. The hostess was unable to cope even with recording who had arrived when so she could seat us in order arrival. We finally were ushered in to find our own table at about 8:15. The food was acceptable but not very special and we were rather rushed. Other people, in contrast, we saw sitting and waiting forvever between appetizer and entree. And on Valentines day we were told that there were no desserts!! So we ended up spending less time at the table than we had on the sidewalk. Somehow, I just don't think we'll be back.

1  Thank Michael S
Reviewed 12 February 2009

We ate there once and ONLY ONCE. I ordered my steak med rare. It came well done. I sent it back. We could hear the poor waitress being yelled at by the chef, also the owner we've been told. She came back telling us the chef could only cook steaks well done. So, I said I'd take something else and ordered a pasta. More yelling coming from the kitchen. The waitress came back to tell us the chef would not cook anything else for me. So, we boxed up the other meal, paid for the one edible meal and left.
BEWARE the chef doesn't think he can make any mistakes and you are expected to eat sub par food if that is what you are served.

1  Thank rtpken