“Family reunion”

Ranked #5 of 17 Hotels in Chapel Hill
Atlanta
“Family reunion”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2011

We booked 5 rooms at this hotel, for various family members. We were very pleased with our room....quiet, clean and comfortable. Two " room bookings" were not as pleased but the staff was helpful in making adjustments to the room cost. The displeased family members voiced their concerns on the morning of departure, as any "problems" were experienced on the Saturday segment. The breakfast area is rather small, for the number of accommodations, at this facility. We have stayed at a different Hampton Inn, on prior visits to family, and this facility is much newer and cleaner than the other one. I would stay here again, as the location was very convenient, and my personal experience was satisfactory. The staff was very helpful and apologetic for any issues that were brought to their attention.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
long beach island, nj
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2011

Whenever we plan a vacation, I spend a good amount of time here trying to find just the right place to stay. Yes I am picky about my hotels! I'm glad I listened to the reviews here because this Hampton far exceeded my expectations! We stayed here last night for one night as one of our stops on our way to Hilton Head. My teen son is a huge UNC fan so we decided to stay in the area and tour the basketball museum.

The place was immaculate, updated and well-kept. There was a sign to excuse our appearance because of updating furniture. Honestly, it looked pretty updated to me. The rooms are spacious, we got two rooms so the teens could have their own. Great rate too. Bathrooms are updated, loved the slate tile on the floors. I saw here that someone commented on how comfortable the beds are....YES THEY ARE! Extremely comfortable and clean as a whistle. I pulled back each bed to check them and you could tell they were freshly made. Absolutely no problems with the rooms.

The breakfast was your usual Hampton complimentary breakfast. I'm not a huge fan of them, but they do the trick. The only complaint I do have is with the breakfast area, it was pretty crowded and there was a tennis team who took up a good amount of space, which is fine, but when some tables cleared, I thought someone could have come from the kitchen and wiped them off in between people using them, spilled juice, syrup, etc. Not a huge problem but it would have been good if it was done. Also, the milk was in like a milk machine kind of thing with different choices which made it luke warm at best. Those are the only complaints I have about this hotel!

The ride to UNC was approximately 10 minutes, not far but definitely not right there. It was fine for us. A plus is the free basketball museum, I highly recommend it for the sports fan. We then went to Franklin Street and did some shopping. Beautiful campus and area.

If you do stay at this hotel, I HIGHLY recommend a restaurant which is in walking distance, but really it is kind of a busy street so we took the car....the name is Nantucket Grill, food was amazing! Basic stuff that most people like, but really, so freshly made, reasonable and awesome desserts. You can get half or full portions of dinner and cake slices. It was a Friday night so it was a little crowded but the wait was only 15 minutes.

All in all, great stay at UNC!

1 Thank travelbug698
Asheville, North Carolina
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2011

We've stayed at this Hampton Inn & Suites several times when visiting our daughter at UNC, most recently in November 2011. It's a good Hampton Inn, which means it's head and shoulders above most other chain motels in the category. But it's not yet a great Hampton Inn.

Where it's lacking: The included breakfast here is mediocre, even for a Hampton Inn (whose breakfasts don't compare with other brands in the chain). Carpets and furnishings could use updating, though we noticed that furniture is being replaced throughout the motel. Bathrooms especially are showing a little wear and tear. But mostly what's missing is that extra effort that marks Hampton Inns that are out to be ranked as the top units in the chain.

Still, this Hampton is much superior to the other Hampton Inn in Chapel Hill, which is comparatively an antique.

On this stay, we were upgraded to a king suite (I'm a Hilton Diamond), which I appreciated.

I'd definitely stay here again, but I'd like to see the property owner go that extra mile to make this a great Hampton Inn.

--Lan Sluder

1 Thank LanSluderBelize
florida
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2011

This is the first time I have written a review like this but after thinking about it for some time, I feel I wouldn't be a reliable reviewer if I didn't. I stayed here in July, 2011 and on morning one I noted a black spot on my pillow. I was in a hurry so I ignored it and left. When I returned that evening I didn't note anything unusual, but on the following morning, I saw two small black dots. I put on my glasses, and to my surprised there were two tiny insects. I took a tissue and picked one up to look at it closely. That's when I discovered it was a tick and when I killed it, it ozzed blood. I went to the front desk with the tick still in the blood stained tissue and quietly showed the clerks. Both the young man and woman at the desk were overwhelmed and disgusted and called someone from the back room who came out with a plastic bag and gloved hands to take it from me. She didn't identify herself as a manager or anything, she just said, "We are very sorry, we had no idea and we will look into this." They took off one night's charge. I expected a call or a letter, something, but I received nothing. When I received the standard e-mailed survey, I responded and mentioned, in great detail, what I encountered. I received an e-mail from management assuring me they were looking into the "insect problem" and that if I were ever in the area again, I was welcome to call them for a discount room or an upgrade to a suite. I have to admit, I wasn't thrilled with the resolution. I thought it was pretty serious knowing that tick oozed blood because it bit me during the night, and the letter I received just didn't satisfy me. There are many other places in the area so I have no desire to stay here ever again. I suggest if you do, you check the beds!

Room Tip: Think twice before booking a room here
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
HamptonInnSuites1, General Manager at Hampton Inn and Suites Chapel Hill / Durham Area, responded to this review, 4 November 2011
Ms. Zamora,

Please allow me to opportunity to apologize for the issue you had with insects at our hotel. I wanted to write you personally again to apologize for the lack of follow up on my part when you took the time to complete a survey. I do remember speaking to my staff about this issue and writing you the initial apology email. When I noticed my Front Desk had already credited you for a room night I was happy to see they took the initiative to take care of your charge. After doing so I was hoping that through the email apology we would be able to communicate to make sure you were satisfied. I do apologize that I did not follow up again after sending the email and do appreciate you bringing the concern to us which prompted me to call Orkin to come inspect the room. Just to keep you in the loop after the Orkin employees inspection he was unable to find any additional insects in your room. I actually just looked at the paperwork we have on file showing his comments so I'm just not sure where or how the insects got in your room but am terribly sorry that you had to experience them.

I really want to make this right and appreciate any additional feedback and would also like to offer you a complimentary stay certificate for your trouble.

Please contact me via tripadvisor or at my email kevin.rooney@hilton.com so we can try and make this up to you.

Kevin Rooney
919-403-8700
Columbus, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2011

Great stay at the Hampton Inn and Suites Chapel Hill on Farrington Road this weekend. Location is right at the door of University of North Carolina Chapel Hill and was within an 8 minute drive to the University Mall, K& W Cafeteria and Dean Smith Center. Hotel lobby and breakfast areas all immaculate, with a helpful front desk. King suite was clean; kitchen area clean as well but dated cabinets and appliances. Granite counters. Complimentary breakfast was bountiful and tasty. Only damper was the room cost which was higher than an Embassy Suites but my guess is it was due to location and Homecoming Weekend for UNC and Duke. Also, we booked this hotel due to the advertised hotel shuttle to UNC but discovered, once we arrived, that the hotel shuttle does not operate on gamedays. Overall good stay but we would stay at the Carolina Inn next time so we could walk around UNC campus instead of using our vehicle and gasoline.

Room Tip: Room on upper floors away from elevators very quiet.
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family