Review Highlights
Fun and as good as expected

Reviewed 27 October 2015
getgone
atlanta
Magnetism26

Reviewed 25 April 2018
Magnetism26
via mobile

See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 25 April 2018 via mobile

Very educational. Had a great time exploring for gems. Quiet place off the beaten path. Clean facilities. Fun for the whole family.

Reviewed 15 August 2017 via mobile

After reading reviews we decided to check this out on our way cross country. No way to know before we arrived that it was a wasted trip. They are no longer open to the public. Total bummer, whole family was looking forward to digging around a bit.

6  Thank Jojabohe
Reviewed 6 July 2016 via mobile

This is a genuine mine to visit! No enhanced stones shipped in to fill this real deal. The owner, George, and his wife, Brenda, are the nicest people and full of information to help you out. My 10-year-old son and 7-year-old daughter were in heaven digging for stones and rinsing them off! We stayed for over 5 hours and found MANY stones. My kids were thrilled with the whole process. Will go back many times in the future!

Reviewed 3 July 2016

Had a great time found some good sapphires well worth the money and the memories well last a lifetime.

Reviewed 2 July 2016

so here's the deal-- this is an all day adventure. Wear your old clothes and boots, bring an ice chest, and a lunch.( and gloves)( and a towel) $25 pp and you actually walk to a site and dig--- you only bring down the larger rocks you think might be something to wash. The children loved it. The water is shaded, there's a picnic table and a portable toilet. I drove a Lexus to this place and did not drag the bottom out of it, although if it had been raining I might have had a problem. We came out with a lot of sapphires, 3 large ones.(probably not gem quality) More importantly, we learned a LOT and had a ball.

2  Thank SVtravelagent
Reviewed 24 June 2016

We were allowed to dig unlimited buckets from the mine tailings pile for one admission fee. We enjoyed visiting with George (owner) and learning about the sapphire mining and the areas history. Flumes were shaded. Water water was clean. It was a fun day!
This would be a good place to take young children or go as a family.

Reviewed 30 January 2016

Read all of the other negative reviews (a majority of all reviews are either "terrible" or "poor" ) if you are considering going to the Old Pressley Sapphire Mine. IF you decide to go despite these warnings, DO NOT PAY for their "jeweler" to cut, polish, and mount your found "sapphires"; take your "treasures" home and polish them yourself in a rock tumbler. My wife and daughter are still waiting (since October 2013) to receive their "jewelry" which they paid for.

3  Thank PAW622
Reviewed 27 October 2015

Treated very nicely. Just don't go expecting Disney world or the Star of India. This is a back in the woods place that mines rocks. Some are sapphires and some aren't. Fun for kids. We had two stones polished and they arrived just as described, although the delivery was slow.

Reviewed 21 October 2015

Drove out into the hills, bad roads and all. When we finally arrived, there was nobody around! What a waste of time!

1  Thank Bobbi B
Reviewed 31 July 2015

I traveled to NC to camp out with a group of fellow rockhounds, with my sister and niece in tow. We followed a group to Old Pressley Mine to dig for sapphires. We had so much fun there with the group and with the owner, his wife and a family friend. I did not go thinking I was going to strike it rich, but to have a new adventure and meet new friends! We got some nice stones but they are still sitting in a pile for me to inspect and tumble. My point is if you want to have a wonderful time and go without expectations, I hope you have as good of time as we did. I wouldn't have traded a minute of our day!! Thank you guys, it was fun!!

1  Thank Lenore C