“Nobody even there!”

Old Pressley Sapphire Mine
Ranked #5 of 5 things to do in Canton
Reviewed 21 October 2015

Drove out into the hills, bad roads and all. When we finally arrived, there was nobody around! What a waste of time!

1  Thank Bobbi B

Reviewed 31 July 2015

I traveled to NC to camp out with a group of fellow rockhounds, with my sister and niece in tow. We followed a group to Old Pressley Mine to dig for sapphires. We had so much fun there with the group and with the owner, his wife and a family friend. I did not go thinking I was going to strike it rich, but to have a new adventure and meet new friends! We got some nice stones but they are still sitting in a pile for me to inspect and tumble. My point is if you want to have a wonderful time and go without expectations, I hope you have as good of time as we did. I wouldn't have traded a minute of our day!! Thank you guys, it was fun!!

1  Thank Lenore C
Reviewed 16 June 2015

So we received our cut stones and basically have been advised by three different jewelers that because of the way the stones were cut the value is next to nil. The oval/round cut performed has decreased he value. So we spent more money on the bucket lof material than all five stones are worth combined.
So I am have to say this place is a tourist trap and don't have the owner cut your stones.

2  Thank pappanick252
Reviewed 5 May 2015

My sister and niece took a 3 week cross country vacation and one of the stops was to do mining. We had seen nothing but good reviews about this mine so we drove through the mud and rocks and made it to this cute little shack. We paid for a bucket of material, enjoyed our time and decided to have a few of our nicer stones cut. We paid for everything up front and expected to see our stones in the mail in a few weeks. Well, that was nearly 2 years ago. We are still waiting on all of our stones. I have tried to contact them, and either no one answers or I spoke with someone who took my information and never returned my call. I am on the east coast, and it has been a loss for sometime.

What was a great experience, including a cute cat story and some cool pictures ended up being mud in our face. Please don't fall victim to this scam. Look for another place.

11  Thank Nikki M
See more reviews
Reviewed 18 April 2015

We USED to take field trips to the sapphire mine with my class. However, the cost rose to $10 per child and they WOULD NOT BUDGE. The kids do enjoy digging and finding gems. However, the "gems" all look different and they call them Sapphire. The workers smoked right beside the kids who were asking if they had found anything worth keeping. Upside: kids love the experience and that's all that matters. Downside: over priced and poorly staffed.

3  Thank Angie R