“Reasonable value”

Ranked #11 of 18 Hotels in Boone
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Reasonable value”
Reviewed 18 February 2012

Stayed here just the other night. Property is fairly up to date and clean. I'll echo the mattress lament of a few others; it seemed to slump in toward the middle which is a weird & uncomfortable feeling. Had this same experience at another HI property recently in SC, BTW. Other than that...the room was nicely sized. I liked the bathroom layout. WiFi connection is good and painless. Breakfast is continental and mediocre.

If you're in town for work, as I was, the location is good; if you're there for vacation or an ASU event you might want to consider another property.

Overall, my stay was okay but I will try another property the next time that I'm in town.

• Stayed February 2012
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
tennessee
Reviewed 3 February 2012

Stayed at this Holiday Inn Express with my son while on a weekend ski trip. The exterior of the hotel appears nice but the inside is in need of some updating. The interior is very hospital like. The rooms are equip with old non flat screen televisions. The wall mounted airconditioners blowing supper cold air or supper hot dry air. Staff was nice. Next trip I'll stay some where else.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Virginia
Reviewed 31 January 2012

The hotel is clean and inexpensive for a nights stay. I think I paid about 72 dollars for a two queen room. The room was clean, the breakfast was nice for the maybe three guests there on our sunday night.
I paid an extra 5 dollars for a room with a balcony. Not to burst the bubble, but the balcony overlooks a Lowes parking lot and highway. The room had no way of setting a temperature. The heat on low was too hot and on just fan, too cold. A thermostat would help control it.

There is a nice steakhouse across the street called The Peddler.

Room Tip: fifth floor end room was very quiet. The extra five dollars for balcony did not improve our stay.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank movedsouth
NC
Reviewed 16 January 2012

Stayed here for two nights to go skiing up the road at Beech Mountain. I would put the hotel at the upper end of the Holiday Inn Expresses I have stayed at. For under $100 a night I don't think you can beat it. I am a platinum priority club member and request a room upgrade every time I stay at a hotel. The hotel originally gave us a great suite (I think it was room 300). Equipped with a separate living room, bar and kitchen. Stand up shower, whirlpool and double sinks. Unfortunately, I was traveling with a friend and not my wife and after debating who got the pull out couch we decided to down grade to a standard room (Suites only have king beds). The standard room was still a step above most Holiday Inn Expresses. It had a small, but nice balcony with a door and the typical layout. Bed and restroom were standard for Holiday Inn Expresses. We slept great. The room was up to my standards of cleanliness nothing stood out as dirty.

We could not use the pool because it is outdoor. That was one draw back as a hot tub would have been nice after skiing. The lobby/breakfast area were nice and large. Plenty of seating and some couches with a TV to watch. Ample free parking and free WIFI. The location is great with easy access to dining and the University Area "downtown". We drove one night and then chose to take a taxi the second night so we could have a few more drinks. We used Boone Taxi which appeared to be a college student trying to make some extra bucks. There weren't a lot of options in Boone. Nonetheless, the rates were flat around town and she was punctual/responsive.

Room Tip: Ask for room 300
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank AdvisorBrad
Port Saint Lucie, Florida
Reviewed 29 December 2011

We are currently in the middle of a 3 day stay at this hotel. We have stayed here before and thought we knew what we were getting. Unfortunately, that is not the case. The other reviews stating the mattresses and pillows are in dire need of replacing are right! Definite hole in the middle of the bed. With two people in a bed, it is very uncomfortable. Pillows feel as if there are just shredded pieces of foam in them. It even seems as though they are skimping on the breakfast compared to our last stay. Very disappointing compared to the experience we are used to getting from other Holiday Inn Express hotels. My next trip to Boone, I will stay at another hotel.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family