“Best Value on the Blue Ridge” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Greene's Motel

Greene's Motel
Ranked #15 of 18 Hotels in Boone
Norfolk, Virginia
“Best Value on the Blue Ridge”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2011

It's not fancy - but at a time of year when rooms are jacked up to obscene rates, it is the best value out there. My room was quiet, immaculately clean, and though it is an older styled motel, it is well run and maintained. My room was a non-smoking, and didn;t have any hint of smokiness, or harsh chemicals, both of which can set off my allergies. It is set back enough from the main road that it is quiet, and I even had a delightful little private balcony to chill on, and watch the sun set over the mountains. I also had a microwave and fridge, lots of restaurants and shopping close by. My bed was comfortable, and I slept very well in the peaceful quiet.

I will definitely stay there again!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
      Location
      Rooms
3 Thank RamblinRedhead
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Charlotte, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2011

Even through the rooms were clean, the mattresses were hard as a rock! Looking out over the balcony you saw what use to be the pool area... Been closed for who knows how long.. Trash, weeds, etc... Front desk staff not very talkative..
I could probably over look at outside if the rooms had better mattresses. Wow!! My back still hurts... :(

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Woodman007

Travellers are raving about these Boone hotels

Wilmington, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2011

We come to see all of ASU's football games. The folks at Greene's are friendly and always accomodating. The hotel could use some updating but we always enjoy our stay. I would recommend it! We are starting out 5th football season and will stay at Greene's again this yr.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank sandy5498
Lithia, FL
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 August 2011

I was reluctant to stay at this hotel given some previously bad ratings, but a recent review indicated a reasonable experience. Also, all other hotels in the area were very expensive. The hotel was acceptable. The clerk was polite and even pointed me to a coupon for Horn in the West in a flyer. There was no breakfast provided. There was a musty smell in the room, but it was not extreme. We had a room in the back, and it had a semi-decent balcony view of the mountains. They advertised wireless internet connection, but the signal was too weak to connect. The room was relatively clean, but really needed to be remodeled. There were a few mildew stains in the bathroom. There was a microwave and mini-fridge.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with near the wireless signal if you need internet access, because not every room can...
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
Charleston, South Carolina
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2011

The only positive thing I can say about this hotel is that the room was clean. The check in was terrible. The check in clerk could not even find my rerservation which was booked and prepaid for through Orbitz. The clerk checking me in didn't seem to know what she was doing either, which kind of explains why she couldn't find my reservation and also why I was charged a second time for the room by the hotel itself. There was no one there in the morning to check you out either, just a basket on the counter that said keys. Very unprofessional to say the least. After I got home and realized the hotel had charged me in error for my room I called and told them I had booked and paid through Orbitz and they had charged me in error and could they please refund the money to my credit card. The owner of the hotel, Denny, told me he was not going to do anything and that if I wanted something done I needed to call Orbitz myself and have them take care of it. Since Orbitz wasn't the problem, he was, this didn't make any sense to me but after trying for over 15 minutes to talk to him about what could be done I saw dealing with him was going to be useless. I did call Orbitz and they called the hotel immediately and a few minutes later Denny, the owner of the hotel, was back on the phone now with me and Orbitz and said he would take care of refunding the money to my account right then and there. Now was that so hard??? I guess it was because days later the money was still not refunded to my account nor was it even in processing according to my bank. I called Denny back to ask him if he knew how long it would take for the refund to go through and he told me it was done that day and would go through either that day or the next just like the initial charge had. I told him that it had not gone through to my account yet and would he call the vendor for his credit card machine or maybe his bank to see what the hold up was or if anything else needed to be done. He flatly refused and told me that if I wanted something else done then I needed to quit complaining to him and get on the phone with my bank because it was my problem, not his. Since Denny is absolutely no help at all I did make that phone call to my bank and when I did I reported his hotel for the fraudulent charge and have a claim in process since it seems that is the only way I will ever get my money refunded from this shady hotel merchant. My advice is to stay as far away from this hotel as you possibly can. Lock up your credit cards if you don't as you won't have any money left on them when they are done if you don't.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo