“Good experience, but was hoping for better” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Alpen Acres Motel
Ranked #9 of 16 Hotels in Blowing Rock
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Good experience, but was hoping for better”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2011

Our family of 4, (kids 16 and 13) spent one night at Alpen Acres and I think it will be the last... nothing horrible, just was hoping for more. Pat at the front desk was very friendly and helpful. Our room was very large so if you are a family and need to spread out this is a great option.. Our kids enjoyed the pool. The room was very warm and we could not figure out how to turn off the heater (In June no less) and the beds were very firm. The bath room was very clean, but dated and in need of a face lift. The most disappointing part is the motel is located right on hwy 321. Because the address is Old 321 I thought that meant main street of Blowing Rock. It does not.. Old 321 is not a hwy but rater a u shaped road along side of 321 that is home to about 4 other hotel/motels. The sound from the road was not terrible, just disappointing and in no way are you walking distance to the main town of Blowing Rock. Over all, it was acceptable for a one nighter, but next time, I think I will spend the extra 30 bucks to stay in town...

1 Thank gracious-yoga
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Orlando
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2011

Contrary to most other tripadvisor reviews, I can't recommend this motel. I expected quaint and comfortable, but the reality was shabby and in desperate need of a rehab. The motel says it provides wireless internet, but it wasn't accessible from our room - we had to sit on the porch outside the motel office to get online. The "Light continental breakfast" we expected consisted of unappetizing packaged muffins or small granola bars and coffee or tea (no fruit or juice).

I was most disappointed in the condition of our room. Two of the three window screens had holes in them. The showerhead was too low (I'm 5'7" and the water hit my shoulder) and there was a leak around the base of the toilet. The bathroom sink faucet was difficult to turn on and off, and leaked. Our room had a futon that we couldn't figure out how to use (fold out) until our last night when we finally removed the mattress from the frame. Instructions on its use should be located in the room or, at the very least, given to guests at check-in. In fact, we called the hotel phone number about 8:30 that evening to get instructions about using the futon and didn't hear back from the manager until 6:00 the next evening, after we had checked out.

The positives: The manager, Pat, was very nice and stayed up late to make sure we found the motel (it was tough to find at night). And the location was very convenient.

Unfortunately, the few positives didn't make up for the uncomfortable mattress, hard-as-a-rock futon and overall poor quality of the property. For the price, we didn't think the place would be swanky - after all, it's a motel. But I didn't anticipate shabby and sadly worn out.

I hope the owner will give the place a good scrubbing and invest in some paint, new carpet, curtains, fixtures and repairs. Alpen Acres could be a delightful gem, but it's got a long way to go before it could be described in those terms.

Raleigh, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2011

My husband and I planned a trip to take my 3 year old son to see Thomas the Train at the Tweetsie Railroad in June 2011. After searching all the normal avenues for hotels in the area, and coming up with results for $140 rooms at places like the "Sleep Inn" and the "Red Carpet" for the weekend, we came across Alpen Acres. It was cheaper than any of the other local places. We arrived and I was immediately smitten. The grounds are beautiful - very well manicured and landscaped. There is a nice sized, clean pool in the back, along with a small swingset and a shuffle board court. We got to spend some time playing in the pool and our son tried his hand at shuffle board one morning. Our room was adorable and immaculate. It was perfect for a small family - a queen bed for my husband and I and a futon bed for our son. We were less than 2 miles from Tweetsie and no more than 5 miles to both Boone (in one direction) and Blowing Rock (in the other). All in all I would highly recommend this hotel (and already have) to anyone visiting the area!! Thank you Alpen Acres! My husband and I are already planning our next trip back!!

1 Thank emjojackson
Georgia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2011

We booked this motel based on the reviews right here on Trip Advisor and were not disappointed. Alpen Acres is a small motel with about 20 rooms, tucked away on a hill just past an entrance to the Blueridge Parkway. Upon arriving we were impressed with how neat everything kept. Check-in was a breeze.

We had room #12 which for 2 adults and 2 small kids was perfect, as the room is very large and on the end. I appreciated not having guests on either side of us because the kids can sometimes be a bit rambunctious.

The motel has a heated pool which we used both days we were there. It also had an area with a swingset and volleyball net. I appreciated the room for kids to run off their energy.

The motel is between Blowing Rock proper and Boone, a great location, as nothing was far. We went to Tweetsie and this motel was truly a perfect distance.

I didn't give 5 stars because "breakfast" was just some bars and small pre-packaged buns. I suggest not worrying about breakfast at the motel and riding into Boone or Blowing Rock proper for a good meal. Also, the beds are FIRM so be prepared!

1 Thank oneluckyb
Tempe
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2011

In waiting for our summer retreat to be fixed among all the foreclosed surrounding homes and on going POA regulations, my wife and I found ourselves spending a few days at the Alpen Acres Motel.

I could not have been more pleasantly surprised. It has been a rainy spring for this East Carolina state but the trees, grass and flowers couldn't have been happier. This place was surrounded by beautiful Red Maples, moss covered Oak trees and the amenities were incredible. Forget the high tech video game center, disco tech and spa rooms... We had shuffleboard (and yes, all the pieces were there, the deck was cleared off and the numbers were not faded), horseshoes, hiking trails, volleyball court in the grass, swing sets, and a swimming pool. The pool was even heated for you warm blooded southerns. I thought I was on the set of "Dirty Dancing" and the Houseman's were inviting us over to their cottage for pie. But I did have cable and wireless internet.. so move over Babe.

The rooms were non smoking so the fresh clean mountain air breezed through the windows like music. The rooms were simple yet timelessly classic. The bedspread was one you would find on your grandmothers old sleigh bed with tasseled fringe. The bathrooms small, yet had everything one needed to start their day.

The staff was certainly one to be recognized on their own. They brought southern hospitality to the mountains charm. And the value made me rethink the idea of a vacation summer home. Thanks for a great experience. I never would have imagined...

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple