“Nolichucky Duckies - Full Day Raft Friday Aug. 4”

High Mountain Expeditions
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Welcome to High Mountain Expeditions. We are located in the heart of the Blue Ridge Mountains, with two locations to serve you in Boone and Banner Elk, North Carolina. High Mountain Expeditions offers outdoor activities, such as whitewater rafting, caving, and hiking for every member of your group or family.The team at High Mountain Expeditions invites you to join us in the beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains on one of our many outdoor adventures.
Reviewed 6 August 2017 via mobile

We had a large group of 10 - from NC, Virginia & California - Ages 14yrs. thru 78 yrs. , all with varying degrees of experience on rafts & whitewater.

GRAHAM was such a hard working guide with a VERY pleasant attitude. He always made you feel as though you were doing everything right, while also 'taking up the slack' for you. He took great care of my older parents who really wanted to experience the full day trip with the grandchildren.

"Big Mama" would like to give a big shout-out to spotter & guide...SCOTT.
Scott really made ALL the difference in my personal raft experience.
Thank you again Scott, I owe you a lot.

All the guides knew the river well-and made safety a high priority.

The water was low, but it was a big bonus to have the opportunity to experience the "duckies". Although it was challenging, everyone felt very accomplished at the end of the day. I wouldn't do it any differently next time.

The Nolichucky Gorge is a very beautiful unspoiled place. I wasn't aware such majestical beauty was so close and accessible. We saw an Osprey, River Trout, River Otters, Monarch Butterflies, and Leatherback Turtles.

The bus ride was fun, and lunch was great.

I recommend this outfitter.

Reviewed 6 August 2017 via mobile

Enjoyed our trip down the river. Guides were great and paid very close attention to safety. Lunch was good, except for the bees (but what else do you expect in the woods?).

I wish we had truly understood when they called to tell us the water was low...what that meant. Smaller boats and "funyaks." We had 5 people in our party...3 in a raft and 2 in the kayaks. With the water low, the kayaks got stuck on almost every rock and it got very frustrating and tiresome well before lunch. The water was slow and we had to paddle the entire time...we weren't expecting that. We weren't the only ones complaining.

We were told the best time to come is during spring. May
timeframe.

Again, I gave it 4 stars because of the guides and the hospitality.

Reviewed 4 August 2017 via mobile

Beautiful scenery. Prepare to get wet. Guides made a tame family river ride a lot of fun. Be sure to take a change of clothes.

Reviewed 1 August 2017 via mobile

This was a great trip for our first rafting adventure with our 9 year old. The staff was awesome. If you are looking for a lot of whitewater, this isn't the trip for you. But, if you want a nice, wet ride down the river, the half day trip is great.

Reviewed 31 July 2017

This whitewater rafting trip does not advise its' customers that they will be soaked with freezing cold water often and there is no 'opt out' for those who want to stay dry and enjoy the scenery and learn something about rafting. The moment you step into the raft, buckets of freezing, recently released dam water is thrown onto your raft. You may think - okay - that's a funny initiation but it's not just the beginning, this cold water 'hazing' continues. The company did mention there would be 'water guns' for some fun spraying of other boats but the correct term would be 'super soaker's'. They also have buckets in each raft so lots of freezing water is being thrown at you from the guides.
The temperatures on the Watauga did not support continual dousing of freezing water - it was not a super hot or even warm day. There seemed to be plenty of people that enjoyed the water fun but there also seemed to be a lot of people that did not find this fun. I was one of those. All I could do was sit in the raft and be continually soaked and shivering cold for over 3+ hours. And with air temperatures in the 70's, I could never dry out or warm up.

I was glad for it to end, or I thought it had ended. Once ashore we changed into dry clothes and warmed up a bit. Then on the long bus ride home, we were soaked 2 more times on the highway from a truck shooting water into the bus windows...

The guides work hard to try and make the trip fun with jokes and stories (some are in poor taste) but my suggestion is that they re-assess the buckets and soaking of all of their customers. IT is way over the top. We would have gone with a different rafting company if we had known about the constant soaking.

No joy from our family with High Mountain Expeditions.

2  Thank HeidiHo2016