See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 15 May 2016 via mobile

I visited the Westport Lakeside Motel several weekends from May through early June last year, as my husband was on the road for work and was staying at this motel along with several of his coworkers. They had several problems along the way and in retrospect my husband and his coworkers all should have moved to a different hotel/motel sooner but hindsight is 20-20. I hate leaving bad reviews but when I just saw some memories from last year on FB I was reminded I never reviewed this motel to pose a warning to other travelers.

First I will start with the good: Beautifully situated motel. Rooms are clean. It is quiet.
The owners are outwardly nice people- very gracious and friendly when I first met them. I am sure if I were staying with them for just a BRIEF time I wouldn't have had a problem.

The liveable/okay but not so great: It is really hot in the summer. No AC. It cools down at night but you have to put your fan in the window and sacrifice some privacy to do so. The windows are cross ventilated but the fan needs to be situated in them to be effective. No wireless- which I normally don't complain about but there is MINIMAL cell phone service so you are a wee bit disconnected. TVs are tiny. Very hard to watch from bed.

The nitty-gritty/not okay (in list format to make this easier):

1.) We stayed in three different rooms (remember I was up there several weekends). Two of those rooms the shower drains did not drain. They would almost overflow and you'd have to stop the shower and let it drain down before continuing.

2. There were another group of workers staying at the motel one weekend. They were a little drunk but seemingly harmless.(mind you, it was just my husband, myself, and two of his coworkers staying here aside from them) Sometime late, while in bed watching a movie off our laptop, my husband and I could hear someone peering into our window, laughing, and then jumping down. The next day while sitting beside the lake, the owner (I forget her name now- maybe Jane?) walked over to us and asked in a mildly accusing manner if we knew where all the lawn chairs from outside the big room on the end had gone. We didn't know but speculated that perhaps the group of guys who had been staying there took off with them. Later, when the events of the evening before dawned on me again, I took a glance behind the motel to find chairs stacked outside other motel bedroom windows. Someone had indeed been peering into rooms the night before. I drove over to the hotel (where you check in and where the owners are located) and spoke with the male owner to inform him we found their chairs and to report a peeping tom. He couldn't have been bothered with it. He legitimately just said "well my wife's asleep. I don't want to bother her" and that was all. I left. Big strike one. A privacy invasion like that feels really unsettling. We were careful to completely barricade the windows the rest of our stays.

3. My husband and his coworker (who would room together during the week) came back to their room after a 14 hour workday to find a note on their door stating "As discussed, you will need to vacate this room from Friday to Sunday as it has been previously booked." This was NOT discussed. Why would two men, working 14 hour days want to move into a place, (long term-over a month) prepay for it and then have to move out of for a weekend. Why would they prepay for a weekend they wouldn't be staying there?They called the owners and made it clear it was not discussed. My husband and his coworker told them they would be moving out permanently, and immediately started looking for other accommodations closer to Ticonderoga where they were working. The next day they returned to their room to find a new note from the owners stating that they "juggled things around" and wouldn't need to move out. The motel was usually pretty empty (aside from Memorial Day weekend where they tried to kick them out) so I suspect they didn't want to pass up on the money they were making from the boys staying there. I also suspect they tried to kick the boys out for that weekend so they could jack the prices on the room and rent them to boaters. The boys ended up staying because accommodations in the area were hard to come by( big mill shut down with lots of workers in town) and they brushed the encounter off as a fluke.

4. I stopped by the hotel to book a room for following weekend at one point. I did so with the female owner. I booked the same room as that current weekend because it had a king bed. The next weekend I arrived and they did not have my reservation and someone was already in that room. I booked this IN PERSON. I was not thrilled but let it go.

5. The last straw: After prepaying for another couple of weeks, my husband and his coworker came back to ANOTHER note stating "as discussed" (which it wasn't) they would need to vacate the property for the weekend because it was previously booked. These guys were working long days. They had time to eat, sleep, and shower and that was it. (Which is why i traveled EVERY weekend from Mass to NY with food and my husband's laundry). After 14 hours working they were angry that this happened again to them again.

So hindsight is 20-20. The guys should have moved out the first sign of trouble. Unfortunately due to how inundated the hotel/motel demand was, it was tricky.

I will say, if you need to stay just a brief time, go for it. It is a clean, pretty little motel. The lake is BEAUTIFUL.

If you need the rooms for anything longer, for any reason, go elsewhere.

I would have rated this motel higher for it's cleanliness and view but the experience we had was just exceptionally bad.

Stayed: June 2015, travelled on business
11  Thank TravelerXYZ1213
Reviewed 10 September 2015 via mobile

Upon review on trip advisor we were anxious to try this place. Yes it is clean and rustic. The room is small as described BUT. There is no office on the property, stuffy room with no A/C. No wifi. Poor cell phone signal and the beach is a ways away! Hmmm. Overpriced at $89 a night.

Stayed: September 2015, travelled with friends
2  Thank Linda T
Reviewed 9 September 2015

As a previous reviewer noted, the rooms are exactly as advertised and clean. We got just what we wanted: a budget priced, clean, perfectly acceptable motel room for the night.

Check-in at the hotel (a short drive away) was quick, easy and cheerful. The location by the lake is great and the motel grounds are neatly groomed. Also, there's ample parking. The motel is close to a major road but we didn't notice traffic noise even with all the windows open all night. Our neighbours (I'm guessing that the motel was about 3/4 full on a long weekend) were quiet, too.

Our room had double and twin beds, lots of towels, shampoo and soap. No a/c, hairdryer or kleenex. If there was a landline phone, we never found it. It was a very hot day and an overly warm night so we put the room fan to good use. I appreciated the almost instantly hot water out of the tap and the good shower head. Also, it was nice to have the use of a microwave and fridge along with a coffeemaker, not to mention the small flat screen TV.

The one thing I missed was wifi and/or good cellular service. There was neither in the room. Outside, the cell reception was spotty but workable.

Checkout was easy — leave the key in the room and lock the door.

We often look for old-fashioned roadside motels when on the road. This one fit the bill. It was quiet, very clean and comfortable with plenty of towels and a good shower. All more than adequate for the price.

• Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 August 2015

Rooms look exactly as advertised, were clean. Was right on the water easy access we had kayaks. boat launch right next to motel if you have a motorized boat. Easy access to town (not much in town) Sitting area at water front and a fire place we made a fire one night. Was quiet. Great value for the price.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 June 2015

The motel is situated on the shores of Lake Champlain, with a nice little grassed area near the lake for relaxing - the office and staff are situated nearby at The Westport Hotel and Tavern, where guests pick up their keys. Motel rooms are tiny, very basic and very outdated - varnished plywood walls. Requires a major upgrade or at least a coat of paint once every 10 years. Very sporadic WiFi but only if you went outside the rooms - no reception in the rooms (we were a group of 7 using 4 rooms). No cellular service. The tvs require use of two remote controls but there were not even simple instructions for how to use them so 3 of our 4 rooms could not watch tv. The continental breakfast was pitiful - it was to be "served" at 7:30AM but at 7:20AM there were 12 guests waiting in the dining room for it (no staff on hand) and there was one Nexpresso coffee machine so our group of 7 and the 5 other hotel guests all had to wait to make their own coffee one by one. The "breakfast" consisted of pre-packaged muffins and pre-packaged dry cereal - about as basic and cheap as possible. The owner showed up at 7:30 with juice and milk. The owners had promised to provide us with hard boiled eggs for breakfast but gosh, they must have forgotten. Suggest the owners hire a student for breakfast service.
We did have an excellent meal in the main hotel's dining room the previous night - the food was excellent and so was the service. Would strongly recommend the hotel rather than the motel, which was very disappointing.

• Stayed: June 2015, travelled with friends
Jayne V, Owner at Westport Lakeside Motel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 August 2015

Nightly rate for The Lakeside Motel is $79 plus taxes for a charming, very clean albeit basic motel room. The entire motel exterior was recently repainted and we chose to keep the wood walls inside rooms because of it's rustic charm! Remotes in rooms (yes, thank you Charter...there are 2) are labeled appropriately. One for on/off, one for channel changing. Quite simple, actually. We think it would be hard to find a setting as beautiful, a little motel as clean as this one right on Lake Champlain! Green yard and sandy beach!
Complimentary Continental breakfast is a bonus for guests at a price of $79 per night in mid season. We stand by our quality and gracious hospitality.