All reviewshotel is spotlessly cleanother islandsscilly islesno liftbreakfast and dinnertop floordining roomindoor poolhugh townan excellent hotelshort breakvery pleasant staynext yearquiet locationstayed for nightskippersfood is excellent
Reviewed 18 October 2017

Easy to reach from the harbour, this excellent hotel happily offered all I need when travelling for a very good price. I had a double room at the front, and later a single room at the back, both en suite, quiet and confortable. As a single traveller I have seldom experienced such a good value for money.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
1  Thank PipingAngel
Reviewed 11 October 2017 via mobile

The hotel is well situated for enjoying St Mary's and all Hugh town and old town facilities are near by. The room was ensuite although the ensuit looks like it was taken from a large modern caravan in the fact it is modular and added to the room at a later time in it's life. Room 21 is next to the entrance, reception and information board and as such has a high footfall outside with people stopping to discuss thing a meter from the room on a constant basis.
I was on the morning flight and was being picked up at 7:55am and was told by reception only cereal and toast was available as chef didn't start until 8am. No mention of this on booking. A great hotel for the older crowd maybe. I however will book else where next time.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
3  Thank BaldBob
Daniel-Lawson, Manager at Bell Rock Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2017

I have to say, that on occasion, we do get the odd average reviewer who wishes to try and defame the Hotel’s good name with word of libellous inaccuracies and its eye catching title. I am sorry to see this is one of these times. After a long season, with staff going out of their way to help guests, this grates just a bit as their efforts went without any thanks. Let me try to set the scene: You were checked into the Hotel for your one night stay, booked through a “business travel management service” that’s pre-paid for (presumably by your company and not yourself), courteously and in a helpful manner by my staff. This is when you informed them that you had an early pick-up for the airport at 0755hrs. You enquired after an early breakfast, to which you were informed this would be possible to have at 0730hrs for cereals, toast and indeed all the buffet options, as the cooked breakfast items wouldn’t be ready before 8am; not at all as you say, that the Chef doesn’t start until 8am. This is a preposterous idea, as he would need to be in much before this to prepare. Therefore it was arranged for the early breakfast for you at 0730hrs. For this service to occur, required two members of waiting staff to come into work earlier than their shift starts to prepare. At 0740hrs, you had not showed up, so a member of the waiting staff knocked on your door to check if you’d be coming to breakfast as previously arranged; concerned that you were nearing your pick-up time and would be leaving on an empty stomach, only to be informed that you wouldn’t be having breakfast after all! Quite discourteous considering the efforts made, and to only have it thrown back in a flippant and inaccurate review.
The room you were in, Room (21); this suits many, many; in fact I’d say probably 99.9% of our guests who stay in it, and is a frequently requested room due to the size and ease of access. If you plan to come to Scilly and just spend your time in the bedroom, then I would agree, this room may not be for you. The bar is located downstairs away from this room, as such any noise from here doesn’t exist, and generally speaking, the Hotel is very quiet as far as footfall & noticeboard reading goes by 9pm after dinner service.
I’m not sure what you are trying to achieve with your photos? To this I have taken upon myself to take some photos of my own (using only my mobile phone, I hasten to add) and uploaded these to TripAdvisor for more visual information for our potential guests. The room can be made up as a twin bedded room, or as a super-king double. The room also offers scope for being used as a family quad, as there are bunk beds hidden away behind the screens opposite the bed. This has proved to be very popular indeed this season, and is a new feature for 2017.
Summed up, maybe you weren’t happy to be sent to Scilly on business, and maybe you were hoping for a more business like faceless transit hotel with more amenities and extended food services (we note you didn’t have dinner either). But, we are a friendly, 2 star only Hotel who’s staff go out their way to try and help. It is of course your choice to stay elsewhere next time. I am happy and respect your decision.

Reviewed 3 October 2017

I have just returned, with a group of friends, from a short trip to the Scillys. We were extremely lucky to have been booked into the Bell Rock Hotel.
Our rooms were spotless, staff amazing, and the pool was just the right temperature.
The tea making facilities included hot chocolate, which for me was just magic.
We ate in the hotel for breakfast and dinner on all of our four days, and I am delighted to say that the choice, presentation and quality of food was excellent. As a fish lover, the salmon with poached egg for breakfast, and choice of a fish course daily for supper made my stay perfect.
I would love to stay at Bell Rock again.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with friends
Daniel-Lawson, Manager at Bell Rock Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 October 2017

Many thanks for your review of Bell Rock Hotel. It is lovely to see that you and your group of friends enjoyed your stay with us, and that our staff were able to look after you and help to make your stay all the more enjoyable. We are keen to provide a friendly, hospitable service that hopefully exceeds people's expectations of a 2 star hotel. Many people ask why we only have 2 stars, and this is mainly due to services we don't provide, such as a lunch service & room service. We've never really found our guests require these services; lunch especially due to being out most of the day exploring.
We hope to see you back again with us soon.

Reviewed 10 September 2017

Staff amazing, prices reasonable, don't expect the Ritz - but do expect very clean and comfortable rooms. Perfectly located to the beach and town. Staff amazing! professional and couldn't do enough to make our stay fabulous

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family

Thank you for your brief and to the point review. Lovely to see you enjoyed yourself and that the staff here all helped to make your stay a pleasant one. You are quite right, we are not the Ritz, as we are only 2 star, but what we do, we aim to do well, as the majority of our reviews will concur. Traditional values of helpful, friendly staff, offering attentive service with quality food and a clean hotel. Hopefully we may see you back again in the future.

Reviewed 10 September 2017

This was a late booking so we were very glad to get any accommodation at all. We had the small double which was adequate but having glimpsed in the normal doubles I would happily have paid the extra had they had availability. The bed was very comfortable and tea things topped up with nice fairtrade supplies. Breakfast was a bit hit and miss with quality, the sausages were poor but the smoked salmon excellent. Friendly staff who weee very accommodating.

Stayed: September 2017
Daniel-Lawson, Manager at Bell Rock Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 September 2017

Our Compact Doubles offer a cheaper tariff for people looking to spend less, but are often only allocated as single occupancy with a supplement that is less than a standard room with the single supplement. As a late booking this must've been all we had available during our peak time. We are pleased to see you were comfortable in this room despite it being a smaller size.
The latest update on breakfast sausages (following on from the previous review & response) is that we have tried a sample of alternative ones at the weekend, and I'm not happy with these. I have 2 different types coming later this week and we are hopeful that one of them will be suitable for future use.