“First class Service in the hotel is lef down by the restaurant”

Watkins Glen Harbor Hotel
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Watkins Glen
Bathgate, United Kingdom
“First class Service in the hotel is lef down by the restaurant”
Reviewed 30 January 2012

This was my second time at this hotel and my Husband's first. We had booked the stay and dine package. When we checked in Mary at the front desk was wonderful, explaining the restaurant voucher and the car park voucher. It was our anniversary and we Mary informed us we had been upgraded which was a wonderful surprise! Our room was 300 and it is on the corner of the hotel facing Seneca Lake. The room was very clean and spacious and the bathroom has both a shower and jacuzzi bath.

In the evening we went to the restautrant (Blue Pointe Grill) and unfortunatley the restaurant service did not match the hotel. This is the third time I have eaten here and unfortunately the service was terrible, unlike my last two visits here. There were two large parties in the restaurant when we arrived and another arrived while we were eating. Our server Josh came to take our drink order and the bottle of wine took 15 minutes to arrive at the table. We were served by two wait staff in the evening but unfortunately neither of them were very attentive. We asked for our water glasses to be topped up and Josh said he would do that straight away but the next time I saw him he was taking an order from a different table and we had to ask once again for water.

My hasband had the shrimp to start and the strip steak which he said were both really good. I had a soup to start which I though was ham and chedder but turned out to be some sort of spicy carrot and ham which although nice was not what I thought I ordered. For main I had the eggplant and I found it quite odd to have eggplant stuffed with rice and also served with polenta. There were two many tastes and textures for me to really enjoy it. The final straw was discovering on check out that the restaurant had not taken our voucher off and instead used it as a gratuity for themselves! Luckily for us Amanda on the front desk noticed it and took the whole meal off of our bill as we had been so disappointed.

However, much as we didn't enjoy the experience in the restaurant we loved the hotel, the location is perfect for an overnight while on the wine trail and the service and cleanliness of the hotel and the staff are wonderful. We would stay again if we are back in this area.

Room Tip: Go for a lake view if you can and try and get one of the rooms on the corner of the hotel which is q...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (468)
Scranton, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 26 January 2012

My husband and I took a weekend trip to Seneca Lake two weeks before Christmas, and we hope to make this a regular trip we take. The Harbor Hotel was spectacular. First of all, this is probably the cleanest hotel I have stayed at in a very long time; everything was spotless. The king-sized bed was very comfortable, and the showers were spacious and had great water pressure! The room temperature was easily adjusted, and there were other nice perks, including a great chaise. The view of the lake was beautiful, although had we booked a balcony room, I would have probably enjoyed it even more. One feature I really liked was each individual floor having a coffee and tea service in the morning, which I believe was set up no later than 7 am. We ate dinner in the pub area the first night, which was a super-comfortable atmosphere with friendly staff, reasonable prices and great food. Finally, the staff throghout the entire hotel could not have been nicer. I am so excited at the prospects of returning to this beautiful, comfortable hotel!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
WORCESTER
Reviewed 19 January 2012

This hotel looks brand new, yet it still looks like it belongs at the southern tip of Seneca lake. It truly is a perfect location. The views of the harbor are picturesque yet you are within walking distance of shops and restaurants in Watkins Glen. It is also directly on the wine trail, there are at least 10 wineries within 5 or 6 miles of the hotel. The room was spotless and very comfortable. They left a bottle of champagne in our room because we were celebrating our anniversary. Parking was free.We ate at the restaurant down stairs for dinner and it was delicious. Everything we had was fresh and tasty. Their concierge service was also outstanding when we came back from a wine tour they got us a luggage cart for our wine and when we asked about places to eat in the area they took the time to ask a few questions about what we like and then suggested a few places. Her suggestion was perfect and it was great service. There is only one negative thing I can say, I was disappointed that there was no gift shop.

Room Tip: There are rooms on the front that overlook the parking lot and Watkins Glen, I would suggest upgradi...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 December 2011

We stayed at the Watkins Glen Harbor Hotel the week of Thanksgiving 2011. Having never been to this area of New York, we were interested in the excellent wines and the scenery around the lakes. Not the best time of year to visit due to the cold and many of the trails in the state parks being closed, but we still had an enjoyable time.

The Harbor Hotel is a fairly new facility (opened in 2008) that sits right at the south end of Seneca Lake in Watkins Glen, NY. The hotel actually looks over the small harbor and then on up the lake. If you want this view however, you have to request a Lakeview or harbor side room. And if you want a balcony, make sure to request the Lakeview patio. Otherwise, there are less expensive rooms (called Village View) that look towards the parking lot and town of Watkins Glen as well as the cliff face that is a portion of the state park.

We stayed in a Lakeview King patio with a sofa/bed, as there were 3 of us. We were given a room on the top floor with a balcony. Although it was cold, the rain stayed away most of our stay so the balcony was a nice amenity. In the summer months, this balcony would be a great extra splurge for your room as the views are very nice. The rooms, being fairly new, were well maintained and comfortable. The maid service was very professional and it seemed that they kept a watch on our room so that they “knew” when we were gone and would quickly and efficiently make up our room before we returned. There was also turn down service every night as an added bonus.

The hotel has a small fitness room with elliptical machines and treadmills as well as a multi-purpose weight machine. This fitness room has a view of the harbor as you work out as well as TVs built into the machines. There is also an indoor pool that looked nice however we didn’t try it out. Outside, there is a nice patio that has a fire pit. I believe in the warmer months there are dining amenities out there and it is just off of the bar area.

There is a nice upscale restaurant in the hotel called Blue Pointe Grille as well as a nicely appointed adjacent bar. We ate at the restaurant one evening and the food was very good, although expensive. One plus to the restaurant was that we weren’t charged a corkage fee for a nice bottle of wine we had purchased at a Finger Lakes winery. I’m not sure if this is because we were staying at the hotel or that it was a slower weeknight but make sure to ask. There are so many great wineries in this region, you’ll want to bring some of your purchases to the local restaurants, corkage fee or not.

Except for Thanksgiving, we ate at various restaurants in Watkins Glen and the surrounding villages. We ate one night at Jerlando’s Ristorante in Watkins however we felt this was just an average Italian restaurant. Another night we ate at The Village Tavern in Hammondsport, which was unique and had very good reasonably priced food. Their selection of beers and wines was amazing if you are so inclined. We also ate in Ithaca one evening with friends who live there – I’d recommend searching on Trip Advisor or other restaurant recommendation sites as there seem to be many nice restaurants in this college town (home of Cornell University).

I mentioned Thanksgiving dinner. I had made reservations for us for the Thanksgiving buffet provided by the Blue Pointe Grille but set up in the large conference rooms at the hotel. If you happen to be in the area on Thanksgiving, I’d recommend this for your dinner, as the buffet was excellent. In addition to turkey, there were other well prepared meats and the side dishes were all very well done. And the dessert offerings were all worth sampling if you had the room after gorging on the large buffet. We again brought a bottle of Finger Lakes wine with us and this time were charged a nominal $10 corkage fee. I believe the buffet fee was $25.00 per person but it was worth every penny and judging from the crowded dining area, this is a highlight Thanksgiving buffet for this region so if you plan on this for next year, make your reservations early.

Don’t miss the Corning Glass Museum if you happen to be staying in the Finger Lakes area. Well worth a visit as this is a very unique and enjoyable museum. And lastly, do visit your share of wineries in the region. Having done many “winery trips” in the past, I would have to say that this region is one of my favorites and holds it’s own to any wine tasting trips anywhere in the U.S., including Napa!

Overall, our stay at The Harbor Hotel was very nice and the Finger Lakes region is an excellent vacation destination. Hopefully, we’ll be able to go back up there in the summer or fall at some time in the future.

Room Tip: If you want a balcony, ask for a lake view patio. Also ask for a harbor view or you may end up on o...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 22 December 2011

Situated on Lake Seneca, this hotel is very well run, spotlessly clean, and the rooms are large and very comfortable. I stayed there for my birthday with my husband and my two adult children and their husbands. We had a wonderful time. The hotel staff made it a very special weekend for us. We found the food in the hotel restaurant to be delicious and Eric, our waiter was very attentive. We had the opportunity to use the pool and whirlpool, both of which were well maintained and very clean. All the staff were just wonderful. I would recommend this hotel to just about everyone, and I will definately stay there again.
Rosemary G

Gorgeous View Motel
#2 of 9 in Watkins Glen
13.6 km away
The Inn at Glenora Wine Cellars

Been to Watkins Glen Harbor Hotel? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK