All reviewsrestaurant areaextra blanketsfire pitbeef steakminute drivebudget optionboxed lunchperfect locationtour operatorspent nightsthe cottagesincredible viewscouple of dayshot waterbwindi national parkjunglerushaga
Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

Excellent value for money. We spent 2 nights here and couldn't have been happier. It's a really lovely hotel in a fantastic location right on the edge of the park. It's only a few minutes drive to the park entry where you will begin your gorilla trekking day, a perfect location.

There are different types of rooms- some bungalows and some attached rooms. We were in one of the attached rooms and it was perfect- very clean, comfortable and plenty of hot water (wait for 2nd person). There was also a lovely balcony area with nice views. The restaurant area has fabulous views of the forest and gorgeous manicured gardens. There's a fire pit too which we enjoyed sitting at.

The food was lovely- breakfast, dinner and we got a packed lunch for the gorilla trekking. Staff were so lovely. They even cleaned our shoes after the trekking! I highly recommend this hotel for its ideal location, lovely staff & comfort. It was brilliant.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 March 2018

This lodge is only 3 years old. The location, close to the Rushaga Gate means you only have a 10 minute drive to get to the NP for your gorilla trek in the morning....no need to get up at 5 or 6 am.

It has incredible views of the Bwindi forest and jungle - the same views that you see from way more expensive lodges., The lodge has created gorgeous landscaping and rock-walkways, and has a really nice fire pit area that looks out over the jungle.

There is a variety of rooms, some that are attached and others are separate partially tented cabins. (Be sure to reserve a bungalow/cabin, so you have no neighbors.) Our room/cabin had it's own balcony that looked out over the forest - the shower was sufficient and had hot water. We were very happy with our room!

The staff are very welcoming and friendly. The dining room and seating areas were well done and welcoming. The food was probably their weak point, but again this is a newer lodge, and we were there off-season. We were offered beef steak with vegetables and potatoes for dinner - which was good but not great. The beer was very cold, and very reasonably priced. For breakfast, we were given options that included eggs and toast - and it was not much different from other lodges we have stayed at in Uganda. The food is good and edible but not fancy, which is fine with us. The lodge also included a boxed lunch for us to take on our gorilla trek.

We were their only guests the night we stayed here - it was off-season. They are in the process of creating their rock driveway, so we had to walk down the long driveway entry. But, we were met at the gate by several staff members who helped with our luggage, had flashlights to light the way (it was already dark when we arrived), and were so apologetic about the improvements being done to their entry drive. It will be a nice addition when it is complete. The parking area and walkways around the lodge have already been done and are beautiful!!

Overall, we would stay here again - it totally met our expectations!!

Room Tip: Cabins/bungalows give the most privacy and best views!!
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 March 2018

I have to echo another reviewer: this was presented to me as the budget option by a tour operator (versus more expensive mid-price option and luxury option), but I don't see how this was the budget place! Based on some other reviews, I really expected something quite basic, and Rushaga Gorilla Camp exceeded my expectations and felt like a place that would cost twice as much.

First of all, the location is unbeatable. It's maybe a 10 minute drive to the Rushaga gorilla trek briefing center. The views of Bwindi are also incredible from here. We got some great pics after breakfast, but I wish we had gotten here earlier the day before (we only stayed one night) to enjoy sunset over Bwindi as well.

Second, the rooms were pretty enormous as were the bathrooms in the rooms. The beds were firm but I slept quite well. I have had some neck issues so I can be sensitive to bad mattresses--I was fine here. There were extra blankets in our room too, so we needn't have worried about it getting too cold. The one negative I can think of about the place (besides crappy wifi) is that the shower water in our bathroom never got hot. It wasn't freezing, but it was cold enough that you aren't going to want to linger.

Third, the food is not amazing but is perfectly respectable. In general, I was not impressed by East African cuisine which has lots of fried meats and starches. By those standards, the food here was probably above average, and I was pleased to see plenty of fruits at breakfast. The boxed lunch they sent with us that we ate after our gorilla trek was OK...I think most of us got peanut butter sandwiches which were pretty dry so maybe try something else like a Rolex (an egg sandwich concoction of sorts). The wine at dinner was terrible so if you want to drink, stick to beer.

Fourth, the service was quite good. Folks took our bags to our rooms for us. Everybody was nice. Etc.

As mentioned earlier, the wifi was bad. It's only available in the dining area, and even then, the best you can hope for is to be able to download and send emails/whatsapp messages. But this place is in the middle of nowhere so that's what I expected.

Now listen, I am not some 20 year old with no money backpacking around who is easily impressed. I have experience traveling on a much more significant budget. Trust me, this place is perfect unless you are incredibly persnickety.

• Stayed: February 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank bfwolf35805
Reviewed 6 February 2018

The Lodge lies about an Kilometer away from the last (dirtroad) junction, just after an steep uphill climb. When entering the Restaurant and garden area you have a phantastic view into the jungle of Bwindi N.P. The border is just a few hundredt meters away and you always have the chance to see or hear many birds. Even in the Lodge.

There are different type of rooms. The more budget ones in the back part, just right from the entrance, but even though they represent the cheaper opportunity, there is still everything you might need. A clean and well kept little bathroom, a comfortable bed and a little balcony. Only the view is less nice.

The more expensive bungalows lies in front of the Restaurant area, a bit downhill. Large balconys, huge windows, spectaculare views into the jungle of Bwindi.

The Restaurant serves a good variety of Food. From Chicken, over Beef to fish. There should be something for everyones taste. And Drinks from tea, coffee to beer or wine.

The staff is well organised and keeps everything running.

There is -in the end- nothing to complain.

Room Tip: Cheaper romms in the back part with less spectaculare views...but cheaper.
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled solo
Reviewed 4 February 2018

After studying at length all the accommodation options in the area we settled on Rushaga Gorilla Camp and are 100% happy that we did! The location and rooms are stunning. The food was very good. The staff were very efficient and friendly. The only small negative was that the hot water did not seem to last for long but it was enough for a shower. The gorilla trekking was even better then we could have imagined.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple