See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 23 February 2016 via mobile

The owner sent a taxi to pick us up at the airport for free. Then he welcomed us in person. When we wanted to go to the city center he asked a person he knew to come with us and he did quite a good guide thank you! The room itself was big but there were hairs on the sheets and in the bathroom. The shower and the lavabo were leaking so you got wet foot when you want to go to the toilets wich are in the same room. Good attention there was a soap.
No air is coming from the sea so it is very hot in the room, we moved the bed under the fan. It is a bit noisy in the evening but very quiet at night and in the morning.
The breakfast is OK with tea or coffee, banana and orange, toast with eggs butter and jam.
We could leave the bags at Tausi place while we were having a last ballade in town and come pick them later in the afternoon.
Good place for one night and very nice and welcoming person. Asante!

Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple
1  Thank pseudo08
Reviewed 28 August 2015 via mobile

Stayed here two nights and the guy that welcomed us was very nice. He even showed us a brief tour of stone town: Where we could access free wifi (because the lodge didn't have any!), good places to eat etc.

Pros:
-Friendly welcome
-Rooms were spacious (we had a twin ensuite)
-the locations was easy to get to and access the shops, slave market, beach. (All within a 5 mins walk)

Cons:
-The mosque will wake you up early.
-there's a school next door too which is loud in the mornings.
-No wifi.

Would stay here again though just for the convenience!

Stayed: August 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 November 2014

Stone Town is a big maze but I say Zanzibar Lodge was easy to find because Tausi managed to put signs up at the street...
I find the location great as it is easy to reach everything from the Old Fort to the night market and and the House of Wonders as well as the sea front. Well, Stone Town is not very big but often it happened even to me (after 3 months living there) that I went the wrong way round in that maze (=
There is a small shop at the entrance where you can get things like sweets, cigarettes and toiletries. Other shops, restaurants and a bank are only one minute walk away.
The rooms are small but I only go there to sleep anyway! All the rooms have bathroom which is fabulous. Due to the maze like streets you actually cannot hear the noise from the close-by traffic.
The staff is really nice and helpful - at the breakfast I told them my looooove for mangoes so I got an extra helping (=
Tausi also organizes tours for her guests and I saw her quite often at the Lodge to check on her guests whether they are ok and happy!
All in all a very pleasant experience

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 July 2014

The Lodge is a cozy place and the owner and her daugher are lovely and helpful!
For Stone Town the price is good, since it is generally a expensive town. The rooms are clean and big and the breakfast is fine for it's price. Ask for someone to pick you up, it is a bit difficult to find.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank RiaAddis12
Reviewed 30 March 2014

I stayed with Tausi at Zanzibar Lodge in April 2013 and have been meaning to post a review ever since. It's extremely hard to find affordable accommodation in Stone Town, and the Lodge was affordable and very pleasant. We had a private room with air-con and breakfast every morning (at whatever time we needed). The staff really put the Lodge over the top, however. Tausi arranged a few tours for us, and the rest of her staff was responsive and helpful. Great value!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Cydnee27
Tausi O, Owner at Zanzibar Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

Thanks all our valuable guest who stayed with us and left a nice reviews for my lodge...
I really appriciate your presence and time ..that give me more energy that woman can do better if have possibility...
Be blessed all