“Great photography but be polite and ask.”
Review of The Beautiful Eyes

The Beautiful Eyes
Ranked #23 of 41 things to do in Stone Town
More attraction details
Owner description: We start more than three year ago, a fine art photo gallery in the centre of Stone Town in the former tourist shop of Zakia.The idea to initiate The Beautiful Eyes as a place to present art photography started in May 2008 when three photographers visited Zanzibar for a week of photography. They missed a place to talk, present and even to buy photography.In September 2008 Hans Agterdenbos, one of the three, came back to stone town and started investigations to open a gallery. He met Zakia Abdullah they married in march 2009 and they founded The Beautiful Eyes place to talk about photography, find inspiration and maybe good ideas. Up to the present time ±4500 visitors found the way into there gallery.Some take an original photograph home, others attend one of the workshops the Photowalk© the Shambawalk© the Pembasafari. Most caught some inspiration and all of them left the gallery with a good feeling and positive words
Reviewed 18 May 2016

The architecture and people of Zanzibar are wonderful to photograph and Stone town is worth staying at least 2 nights before heading for the most amazing beaches.

5  Thank Mark O

Reviewed 6 January 2016

The Beautiful eyes is a small gallery in the heart of Stone Town. You can buy beautiful photographs of Zanzibari everyday-life, nice shots, artistic and full of atmosphere.
I was interested in the owners Henna and she recommended her neighbour who did a stunning design for me. Nice and friendly neoghbourhood indeed :)

2  Thank LaLu259
Reviewed 1 October 2015

This is a small shop run by a European and his Tanzanian wife. They are photographers. There photos look good but one does not see many people buying photos there!

3  Thank CarlosPeter
thebeautifuleyes, Owner at The Beautiful Eyes, responded to this reviewResponded 4 October 2015

I remember our many contacts the last three years as very pleasant.

Reviewed 8 September 2015

I did two workshops with Hans and Zakia. The first was a walk around Stone Town for serendipitous portraits. Hans has an effective technique for approaching strangers and making them comfortable for a photograph. Zakia immediately breaks through any barrier. You also get to glimpse Stone Town behind its tourist facade.

On the second day we went to a rural village for a few hours of shooting. I found I could take the lessons from the first day and apply them. I felt I captured some of the best images I've made in a long time.

Hans is a great conversationalist and Zakia is a sweetheart. I highly recommend this.

3  Thank Steve R

Thank you, thank you, looking forward to see your work.

See more reviews
Reviewed 1 May 2013

Writing this I still hear the advising words from Hans during my photowalk, and I must admit there was tuning needed. The photowalk is not complete without zakia who showed me very well how to approach the children and citizens of her stone town. The walk for more than three hours was just fine in time came home. In the hotel with full memory cards with beautiful shots I can not wait to work on them with the software tricks. Hans gave me some really good advices on how to do this. The photowalk was a very nice experience during my days in zanzibar.

3  Thank Robert J