“Magical place in beautiful, tranquil setting”
Review of Douar Samra

Douar Samra
Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Imlil
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

Like other reviewers here, I'm a bit reluctant to give a good review of Douar Samra because I selfishly want to keep all its charms to myself.

We stayed in the main house which is built in the traditional Berber style. Our room was extremely charming and comfortable, and beautifully decorated. The fire kept us warm and cosy.

Food was truly excellent, home-cooked, using very fresh vegetables and local produce. Breakfast in particular was a highlight.

The staff were exceptionally kind and helpful and the owner has taken great care to look after them, as well as her neighbours, who seem to consider her a good friend and value her contributions to the local area.

• Stayed: January 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LucyLondon2018
JacquelineMarrakech, Propriétaire at Douar Samra, responded to this reviewResponded 3 weeks ago

Dear guest,

Thank you for your lovely review :) It's very kind of you to take the time to post it.
We love to hear about our staff and services. we really appreciate it and hope to see you soon, take care!

Warm wishes,

Bouchera

Reviewed 10 January 2018

We LOVED our stay at Douar Samra! Our group of four stayed for 3 nights around New Years. Jacqueline and Mohammed made sure that we had everything we needed... It really felt like being welcomed into a family. The rooms were beautiful and comfortable, and the food was the best we had in Morocco. As much as I selfishly want to keep this place a secret, it's somewhere really special that should be experienced.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Treehouse and the views in winter were amazing! It's a bigger room, but has mor...
  • Stayed: January 2018, travelled with friends

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking your time for the review. We really appreciate it.
We love to hear from our guests every time they stay with us.

We hope to welcome you next time.

Reviewed 6 January 2018 via mobile

I am writing this review slightly reluctantly from a selfish perspective as Douar Samra is one of those rare places that you want to keep a complete secret. It is a very special place; from the breath-taking views across the Toubkal valley and the incredibly warm welcome I received from the owner an host-extraordinaire, Jacqueline and the rest of her local team, I was made to feel like part of the extended Douar Samra family and treated to an authentic-feeling sample of Berber life.

I was travelling solo and Douar Samra was my first stop in Morocco, and the communal spirit of the place in sitting with the other guests to share delicious home-prepared feasts (courtesy of Rachida and her small team of excellent cooks) in front of an open fire and candlelight, made it the perfect welcome. I don’t think it was just down to luck that I met some amazing and like-minded people during my 3-night stay, as everyone embraced the shared experience. It also meant it was very easy to join other guests in arranging walks with local guides, which Mohammed arranges with no hassle. I went on the longer Loop walk (6 hours) where we crossed two Atlas valleys and a more gentle walk to the Waterfalls (4 hours), and both offered incredible views of the mountains and nestled Berber villages, that were constantly changing with the light. Just stunning. I would definitely recommend taking at least one walk during stay to experience the rugged beauty of the place.

I stayed in one of the Garden rooms which came complete with electricity (the rooms in the main house are without), which made things easier but it’s the open fires and Moroccan lamps that add the touch of romance to the Riad, so I probably wouldn’t have missed it too much. The fire was always roaring as I returned to my room from dinner, with extra logs on hand and even a hot water bottle stowed under the blankets to keep me cosy through the cold Atlas nights. And after a long days walk and a hearty meal, there’s no danger of not sleeping well.

It would be misleading to describe Douar Samra as outright luxury but every creature comfort is catered for, and the authenticity and character of the place puts it ahead of any 5-Star Riad in my guide book! With my ever-expanding travel wish list, I’m not usually one to return to a place. But I’m definitely willing to make an exception for Douar Samra! I can’t recommend it highly enough as the perfect base to explore and experience The Atlas.

A huge thank you to Jacqueline and her amazing staff for such a memorable stay.

Rich

Stayed: January 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank RichBeecroft
JacquelineMarrakech, Propriétaire at Douar Samra, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2018

Dear guest,

Many thanks to you for taking the time to post your review, it's very much appreciated. glad to read that you enjoyed your stay.
We hope to see you soon again :)

Warm wishes,

Reviewed 4 January 2018

We could hardly believe that Douar Samra could be as good as its reviews. Believe me, it is. You have the feeling of staying in a family house, eating together and sleeping in quirky, characterful rooms, all with open fires. Ours (Kran) was right at the foot of our bed. We had a couple of electricity sockets; our kids (in Mouss) had more.

On the other hand, this is a place with an underlying French style, where everything - for example the cande-lit staircase in the evening - is done beautifully. And your room is quite big enough for plenty of private space outside mealtimes. The food is of course great (this is Morocco).

The local walks can be breathtaking. Do the one over the hill to the waterfall - the views are spectacular even if the waterfall itself is a waste of time. The walk up the road and then through the trees behind the hotel you can do yourself without the need for a guide. Some fellow guests of ours had even found an app which took them around without a guide - though we found at least one of ours good company and worth the money. Buy carpets and ceramics here at a fraction of Marrakech prices.

If we had a quibble it was that, when we were there, the firewood ran out - which with evening temperatures down to 1-2C was not comfortable. It also meant that the hammam not on offer. Rachida, the local manager, got in wood from her own home but it was never enough. Whatever the local transport problems might have been, this was an inconvenience that should have been avoided.

It probably won't happen again. So go and enjoy. You won't find a more characterful and memorable place to stay anywhere. We'd like to go again March-May when the flora is said to be spectacular and the guides organise 2-3 day (or longer) walks under canvas.

Room Tip: Ask for one with a fire near the bed
  • Stayed: December 2017, travelled with family

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking your time for the review. We really appreciate it.
We love to hear from our guests every time they stay with us.

We hope to welcome you next time.

Reviewed 8 December 2017

We stayed for four nights at Douar Samra in November 2017 and really loved it - the people, the stunning mountain views, the comfortable room, good (vegetarian for us) food, the quiet and interesting hamlet. From the moment we were met at the top road and helped down the rocky track with our bags we felt welcome, greeted as we were with mint tea on the roof terrace with that wonderful view of the Atlas Mountains all around, the village of Imlil 2km below us. We had the beautiful Sdez room upstairs in the out-house which had electricity, a kettle, en-suite shower room, own balcony with tree view, and an open wood fire which was lit whilst we had dinner in the main house - this was very welcome because the nights were cold in November! There are several terraces with stunning views and lovely outdoor sitting areas for all residents to use. Wifi was good in the main house - it didn't reach to our room in the outbuilding, which wasn't a problem for us. Meals are communal in the beautiful candle lit dining room, sitting on low cushions with colourful Berber rugs and cushions, and the vegetarian food was tasty, plentiful and varied. We did two guided walks and would recommend both - to the shrine and to "the summit", breathtaking views on both. Many thanks to Rachida, Mohammed, Omar and the team for a wonderful stay! Andrew and Jennifer

• Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank blogfish
JacquelineMarrakech, Propriétaire at Douar Samra, responded to this reviewResponded 22 December 2017

Dear Andrew & Jennifer,

Many thanks to you for taking the time to post your review, it's very much appreciated. glad to read that you enjoyed your stay & you loved it.
We hope to see you soon again :)

Warm wishes

Bouchera

Also consider these accommodations in or near Imlil
1.6 km away
15.6 km away
Domaine Malika
Domaine Malika
#1 of 2 in Ouirgane

Been to Douar Samra? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK