“Paradis Hotel & Golf Club” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Paradis Beachcomber Golf Resort & Spa

Paradis Beachcomber Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Le Morne
Brisbane
“Paradis Hotel & Golf Club”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2012

One of the best settings for a swimming pool and definitely one of the best island beaches with the gorgeous 'Blue Marlin' Restaurant overlooking the calmly, lapping ocean - oh so relaxing......

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Loren Kim C
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (149)
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Beirut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2012

We had stayed in Mauritius for about a week and stayed at 2 different hotels.
However, this hotel location is amazing; the beach is to die for!!!
Staff is friendly, food is great!! There are many restaurants to choose from. Try also the restaurants from the hotel next door.

The room could use some refurbishment but it is ok, the bathroom is spacious which also includes the closet.
The spa is great (you should try it).

We went dolphin watching, snorkeling, helicopter ride and went for day in the mountains.

I highly recommend the resort and we hope to go there again.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ReemDoughan
Colchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 February 2012

Le Telfair v Le Paradis ......

We travelled as a family (kids 16,15 and 12) to Mauritius pre christmas 2011 for 10 days. It was our first visit and given the vast list of hotels to choose from, I did a lot of research before going. The southwest corner of the island appealed due to the more mountainous backdrop and being west facing (sunsets etc)...above all I wanted good food, comfort, good watersports and golf. I write this review as comparison of the two hotels that we stayed at : Le Telfair (5 nights) and Le Paradis (4 nights) to help other families in the planning phase.

Bottom Line : If I were to return to Mauritius with just my wife, Le Telfair would win this fairly easily. If with teenage kids however, I think Le Paradis would just squeeze the popular vote. If you are British and dont want to share your holiday with your fellow Islanders, then stay away from the Paradis !! but therein lay the appeal for our children.

In that conclusion you already have the main differences in 'feel' of these two hotels. I make these comments as someone lucky enough to stayed in Aman's, Four Seasons and Banyan Trees etc so I have a fair idea about what good hotels are trying to achieve.

Le Telfair
Wins on :
* Quality of infrastructure - This is one of the very few hotels that I ever stayed in where the property is nicer than the pictures in the brochure. (they should re-shoot brochure actually). The layout of the property and asthetics of white washboard are really very attractive and the flaura and fauna is much more established than it looks in pictures.
* Rooms - They are lighter, more modern and much smarter than Paradis. The bathroom has a sliding wall that opens to the bedroom if you want. Only niggle...shower was fitted by someone who is not nearly as tall as my 1.90m !! That said baths at Paradis were far too shallow and 1970's brown !
* Pools - they have 3 excellent pools here compared to 1 at Le Paradis ..despite Le Telfair being half the size. Children progress towards C Beach Club at Telfair leaving the pools relatively toddler free.
* Food - a Telfair highlight actually. GinJa on the beach and The Chateau on the golf course are seriously good restaurants that would live it up with best in London's west end, but even Annabella's (half board inclusive) does a pretty good job of feeding everyone each evening. The only gripe is that because it is a served restaurant and not buffet in evening, it was occassionally on slow side. Le Paradis has a bigger choice of restaurants on paper and especially if you include the neighbouring Dinarobin (better food), but much revolves around perfectly good buffet style fare and then other themed restaurants where the food actually was not much better than the buffets and certainly not memorable as at Telfair. On balance, I think that Le Paradis probably just wins the Breakfast competition on scale and choice although both offer a cracking start to the day ! Last point here, Telfair is more generous than Paradis on Half Board cash contribution to other non half board restaurants. Le Paradis, annoyingly, give kids under 14 less allowance..costing me double to give my son a steak than myself. That really grates.
* Golf Course - I really enjoyed the Telfair course. It is in excellent condition and sewn with European grass (not bermuda) unusually. It has a variety and scenery that really appeals. The Paradis course is more demanding to score on, but I found it less fun and a little 'samey'. My boys were keener to play a second round at Telfair, that probably sums it up.
* Staff - such a difficult one. When I left Telfair, I particularly searched out and tipped four members of staff, who had shown a strong desire to make our holiday special. They were ueber friendly and keen to please and be helpful. When I left Le Paradis, while all very competent, no staff member stood out for me. This difference comes with the size of the hotels to an extent, but was a disappointment given the extremely self-confident prediction by the welcoming manager on our arrival, that Le Paradis was in a different league to the Telfair from a staff perspective. Wrong !
* Teenage beach club - we liked the C beach club at Le Telfair the hotel has recently built aimed at the teens. Actually at lunch time its a good place for all family to eat (better salads than on main beach) It is an easy walk, but is situated on the other side of river inlet which gives an ' away from the parents' feel. But close enough if needed. An excellent addition to property.
* Evening drinks for two ! - The Bar at the Telfair is really stunning, but better suited to couples than huge families. The quality and variety of furniture sticks in the mind.
* Spa - the spa at the Telfair is top notch (but expensive)and is in a different league to the Paradis. Enough said.

And Le Paradis wins on:
* Beach and 'non-hotel' watersports - the Paradis and Telfair have two very different beach feels. If you want your sand white and your water blue then the Paradis is going to be difficult to beat for anyhotel. It is a glorious stretch (although less good nearer Dinarobin). Interestingly, the water is deeper here off the beach than at Telfair where it is quite shallow, but in the Bay behind Paradis the water is also very shallow and good for watersking etc. Both hotels provide their own watersports with a similar menu of activites for free. Le Paradis water sports centre is some walk from the main pool/restaurants which is a disadvanatge v le Telfair, but this is also somewhere that I felt staff were better at the Paradis. The snorkelling at Paradis is a clear win for the hotel..infact was awesome.
* Non Hotel watersports - Well Le Telfair doesnt have any (which is a good thing to some exent) but Le Paradis seems to be a boat park for many offering waterskiing, dolphin watching etc. I have no idea how consistent quality is here but we would all like to recommend Mervyn, a black dude, who got us all wake boarding and waterskiing in double quick time. This guy is a seriously high quality teacher and pleasure to be with and be taught by. They have two boats on the beach called Kolmar 1 and 2 or similar ...memory failing. Do look him up 4000 rupees for an hour.
* Beach food - Le Paradis beach is served by non-hotel beach sellers of fine salads and the hotel provides v good pizza's etc. The salads were a hit with the girls in particular. Le telfair did a 'smarter' job of providing you with food at your beach bed on a smart tray etc ...but food was maybe a little too fussy except for burgers, which were excellent. Actually difficult to choose between hotels here.
* Wind - Le Telfair is on the south side of the Pensinsula on which Paradis occupies the furthest westerly point. It is more exposed to the trade winds as a result. Indeed whilst the weather in 2011 I understand to have been some of the worst for a while around Christmas and both hotels were rained on during our stay...we certainly felt more protected from the clouds and wind at Le Paradis.
* Tennis - facilites at Paradis are top notch. Indeed Martina Hingis was there coaching a list of Australian Open hopefuls. Tennis at Telfair is fine but an after thought.
* Evening drinks for Families - following on from comments above....the bar has a decent size and nice proximity to the beach at Le Paradis which certainly is better suited to entertaining larger family gatherings.
* Nighlife - Le Paradis has a nightclub which seemed to attract the teens each night ! Luckily it is not situated too close to any rooms.

In conclusion :
I hope that gives you a good feel for both hotels. I will just leave you with a few closing remarks :
**Pillows - many reviewers comment on the pillows at Le Telfair. They are right to ..They are really not good at all. Funnily enough we actually slept quite well on them but for a five star hotel they are lumpy and not of usual expected quality. Hotel Manager ..you must change this.
**Heriatge Awali - is at least a full star below Le Telfair in all aspects...maybe more when it comes to food quality. Its style is very different - more wood and thatch..but dont get fooled by Tripadvisor rating here. If you are at the Awali you are going to be wishing you were at the Telfair all week unless you cant hack colonial type white washboard !
**River rooms - a river goes through the Telfair grounds. The river is brown ! The hotel offers rooms with river view.These rooms should be much cheaper than they are. They are same rooms inside but ..do you really go the whole way to Mauritius to be next to a river ?
**Tides - many reviewers have mentioned the tides at Telfair. Yes when the tide goes out then the beach is not your classic whitesand/blue sea look, but it really could not have mattered less. Infact it was quite enjoyable exporing the seabed...see what happens when you stand on a wine fish ! Fascinating. The only annoying thing about the tide is does restrict time for water sports, but again you quickly adapt your day around that.
**Reef break - this has not been mentioned before but I am compelled to. The reef at the Telfair is relatively close to the shore and has a huge break on it (surfers would sit all week thinking ..'if only' !) The roar from this break is wonderous and I found hugely therapeutic. We immediately missed it when arriving at the Paradis.

To sum up : Both hotels are definitely five star and worth travelling 12 hours for ..Telfair, is a stunning property and more discerning with superior food and spa, Paradis with better beach scene and better equipped for large groups but rooms feeling dated.

Room Tip: Paradis covers a very long stretch of beach. Be close to bar / restaurants. Ground floor rooms give...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
10 Thank 3KMax
Moscow, Russia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 January 2012

Just came back from Paradis last week - will try to be as objective as possible (kind of tough as it was our honeymoon after all... :-). Bear in mind that I have been to Mauritius quite a few times and have stayed in at least 5 different locations spread across the island and know the island really well as I drive around quite a lot every time.

LOCATION:
Absolutely beautiful - the setting with Le Morne in the back was truly breathtaking. The hotel beach is definitely the best one I have visited in Mauritius thus far! Readerd, beware: should you wish to venture out of the hotel, you will need a car, which I had opted to rent as opposed to relying on taxi's.
Readers should also be aware that Mauritius- despite is small size - can really have very different climates between North vs South vs East vs West. In general, you should expect definitely more wind and more variation in climate in the South - there were quite a few days where our friends in the North would say that it was a clear blue sky but we had a complete "mixed bag" of sun, clouds, some rain (or a lot in couple of cases) etc. All in all, we were lucky with the weather - but like most tropical locations, it can be quite unpredictable.
Also the South and South West are much more "originally Mauritian" in my opinion in terms of landscape, vegetation, forests etc. I liked it more than the North.

HOTEL AS A WEDDING LOCATION:
The kiosk at La Ravanne is nice but not great to be honest - would have been nice if there was a longer walk without any of the other little "thatched kiosks" around it from a scenery perspective. I also daresay that it would have been better if the kiosk was actually wooden all together as opposed to Thatch roof - it does have somewhat of a worn out look. I would give it a 6&1/2 - 7 out of 10 - though in fairness, decorations do make it quite much better. But still...
There are another 2 options (one towards the end of the hotel beach and as it turns towards a bay (a NO NO for us) and the 3rd option is at the beach in front of last hotel rooms as if driving out of the hotel towards the security gate (this was better but only for a beach wedding, where everything would need to be set up from 0).
Our advice and suggestion: ask the coordinators (and push depending on who your coordinator is) to send you photos of all the possible locations beforehand. Also be creative and suggest other locations that could be possible in the great gardens near the beach (privacy might be an issue...) or even near the edges of the Golf course. Finally, do ask for the Dinarobin - Guest relation will most certainly help you get the information to compare the locations. If you have bad weather as a possibility, this is where Guest Relations absolutely shine (look further down): they will solve the problem as they did for us :-)

ROOMS:
We opted for a junior beachfront suite - and did not regret it. This placed us quite far from the main reception and the centre of all activities but gave us much more privacy and more secluded beaches. Plus golf carts are always available to take guests anywhere.
The rooms were spacious and waking up overlooking the beautiful lagoon, with exotic birds singing away was just unbelievably relaxing - truly a divine experience.
Probably the only drawbacks: Rooms do need somewhat of a re-touch and would be better to change the air-conditioning units to more "recent" models (ours just did not cope so well - but was never a problem). Mattresses a bit tough - but I happen to like it so no problem with that :-)
I should probably add here that we had booked the Dinarobin for the second week of our honeymoon - but once we were moved there and were taken to our rooms, within 15 minutes I called to ask if we could have our old room back. Do not get me wrong: Dinarobin is also a great hotel - maybe even better in some ways than the Paradis as it is newer, has a "Club" option, absolutely impeccable service from the staff we met. But rooms were somewhat smaller and there was definitely a sense of more coziness and more space in general (rooms, gardens) at the Paradis + plus we also preferred the formal but somewhat more relaxed (than the Dinarobin) ambience of the Paradis hotel and its staff.

FOOD:
Absolutely great - another hotel highlight. Not only do guests have access to the 4 restaurant hotels but they actually have access to Dinarobin's (adjoining) restaurants as well. Great choice, very good wine lists. Of all the restaurants, Blue Marlin was my favourite and La Ravane was my least favourite but that was just my opinion.

SPA:
Visited twice - and should have visited much more.Absolutely great!

SPORTS CENTRE:
Used the tennis courts quite a bit and table tennis as well - pleasantly surprised to have free access to courts (reservation based) and rackets - just needed to buy a set of tennis balls as we did not have any.
Gyms well kitted out, good schedule of classes from yoga to Pilates to spinning.

SAFETY:
No issues what so ever - would have been nice to have bigger safes in the rooms but we managed just fine without any problems.

STAFF & SERVICE IN GENERAL
Reception staff were absolutely great - if I had to single one out as exceptional it would be Magalie who was an absolute star.
Porters also great - though we did have 3-4 times when our golf cart never turned up. Mind you, might have to do with the fact that we were quite late coming down from the room. :-)
Guest relations: we had to interact with them quite a lot, as the wedding coordination falls under this department. All in all, I would say a positive experience but in hindsight, we might have opted for a different coordinator had we known all of them from the beginning(would highly recommend either Isabelle or Laura). I think the function is very much a solution-solving & proactive function and these 2 ladies absolutely embody this.Having said that, there was nothing that could not be solved with the involvement of the Manager, Mme. Clothilde - a lady to which both my wife and I are eternally grateful for helping us solve the potential issue of location vs. bad weather on our wedding day.

Room Tip: All rooms with a 1 (as previously suggested) are close to the centre of activities. We opted for a 4...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LT-Planetwanderer
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2012

We have just returned from our third trip to the Paradis and our fifth to Mauritius. The unique site of the hotel on a peninsula backed by the spectacular Morne mountain is the best on the island. The beach is huge, pristine and white. The sea is turquoise with coral for easy snorkelling from the beach. The golf course is spectacular with awesome views. There is only one pool which is surprising for a resort of this size and calibre but the sea is so perfect. The rooms are fairly basic for such a smart place but in some ways this is quite charming. All the food is amazing - we need to lose weight now.. So to sum up this is the resort on Mauritius it suits families who want to do stuff. Between us we golfed, snorkelled at least twice a day, played tennis, scuba dived, did the odd fitness class, sailed, wakeboarded twice a day, windsurfed, kite surfed, read books and ate for England. The mini club leaves a little to be desired but is alright. The other guests were charming French, Swiss, and Italians over New Year. It would be lovely to see more Brits but the Paradis is not marketed in the UK. After New Year the Russians arrived. We have been to The Residence and The Heritage but the Paradis is the best all rounder.

Room Tip: The rooms starting with a 1 are best. They are sited nearest the sailing centre, restaurants and be...
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
LUX* Grand Gaube
LUX* Grand Gaube
#1 of 4 in Grand Gaube
5.0 of 5 bubbles 4,144 reviews

Been to Paradis Beachcomber Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK