“You'll get what you're given”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of LUX* Le Morne

LUX* Le Morne
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Le Morne
Kinross, United Kingdom
“You'll get what you're given”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2012

We arrived in Mauritius having spent 10 days of our honeymoon in South Africa. The honeymoon was wonderful to this point, and we planned a few days lying on a beach before returning to the UK.

The location is stunning, but there were some serious lacking in comparrison to every place we stayed in South Africa in almost every other catagory. The welcome was good, and we were taken to a very nice room with outdoor shower and view over the beach.

We were on the infinity package, so I expected to pay very little extra for food and drink. However, the way they are setup (especially in the restaurant breakfast is served) is a minefield. I had to try and navigate my way around what was included, and what wasn't. On our first evening they had run out of some of the included desserts by 8PM. The problem with what is included and what isn't in this resturant is that there is very little discernable difference; it's not like it's only Lobster which you have to pay more for, it's lot's of pretty basic foods. We didn't go back to this restuarant and the service was slow, and poor.

Nipa and the Beach are both very good; nice food and great service without the supplement issues the other restuarant offers except on the Nipa tasting menu fish night which is understandable.

We had a stunning meal on our last night on the beach, with a fire and marquee. The service was ok, if abit slow as we were sharing a waiter with another couple further down the beach. We paid around £60 extra to have this, but it was worth it.

My biggest issue here was this idea that you get what you're given. I would have expected ultimate flexibility for guests here, but I did feel as though I was a number just working my way through the system. There was a lacking of attention to detail and i'll give a few examples which were faulty tower-esque.

On the menu they serve kettle chips. We eventually realised that they clearly had run out after a few days of ordering them, not recieving them, asking again, not recieving them, asking again, not recieving them and eventually getting a bowl of hot chips. The issue isn't about the fact they didn't have any, it was that they didn't just say so. It became a running joke throughout the holiday about what might turn up if we ordered them!

- At the light snacks bar, we ordered breaded mororella and after waiting for an hour recieved breaded fish. (Alongside some battered fish we had also ordered).
- The singer on our last night asked if we had any requests, we had one, Your Song by Elton John. He didn't do this, but gave us a Bryan Adams number as there seemed to be nothing else.
- I ordered a flat white from the coffee bar one morning, and the waitress working behind the bar told me she didn't know how to make it even though it was on the menu.
- They managed to bring completly the wrong order in Nipa and then took an age rectifying it.

The last issue for me was on our last day. The infinity package ended at 1200. Not withstanding the fact we arrived very late on our first night, this was frustrating as we had to pay for things we'd had included all week. Flexibility is needed here, as it leaves a bad taste in your mouth when it's just not necessary.

It must be noted, this place looks beautiful and if you are happy to go along with what they give you it is great. I unfortunatly expected a lot more, better service, flexibility, attention to detail. They need to sort out what is included and what isn't, and really, let the all inclusive last until you leave.

We did have a nice time, but it wasn't a touch on the service and places we stayed on the Western Cape.

Room Tip: Get an ocean/junor suite, they are great!
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
10 Thank mallaig50
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (466)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Kolkata, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 July 2012

An amazing place to relax, enjoy, relish..... List can Go On....
Gr8 Gr8 Hospitality....

Keep Going...

Looking fwd to come back soonnnn....

Room Tip: Junior Suites - COOL
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Risch, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 July 2012

Wonderful holidays. Hotel,rooms,beach,sports all super.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Gurgaon
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2012

Stayed on my honeymoon for 10 days. Its just beautiful. Its quiet, good food, clean beach, good range of activities and the rooms are super great. We got a complimentary upgrade to the suite room with direct access to the ocean. It was WOW! The room was big, the bathroom was bigger with a separate open shower place. Just lie down on the beach, get tanned and just let urself loose. The Italian restaurant on the beach is a fine dining option. I remember one day having all my meals there! Even at the main restaurant, the chef specially tossed an Indian dinner for us! The housekeeping is superb and the spa is awesome - must go. It was a magical stay.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Aparna09
Newmarket, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2012

this was our second stay here , the first we had nothing to complain about , by the end of our second stay overall the experience was so good we didn't have the heart to bring up the points that spoilt our stay.namely our welcome and the changeover launch party.

we stayed during the changover week from las pavilions to lux le morne. after a 11 hour flight we were met by Mannie who informed us that they were fully booked and we were to be moved to another hotel. she seemed to think we were on honeymoon which we weren't. we were not best pleased to put it mildly. when we explained we had pre-booked diving etc. she changed tack and wandered off again. she had just wandered up to us as we were checking in and didn't introduce herself or ask our names. we were left thinking who the hell was that , as the person dealing with us came back and showed us to our rooms.
Mannie was the only member of the hotel staff who didn't say hello to us for the rest of our stay.

on the positive - the dive school is definitely the best asset this hotel has , superb ,all the staff are great.

overall with the food , location and the rest of the staff we thoroughly enjoyed our stay again and will be back. just a shame our welcome from mannie wasn't quite what we expected from the last time we stayed (2010).

as for the changeover show and party (which we were not warned about) , the less said the better.

overall though I would recommend this hotel , hopefully someone does read these reviews from the hotel and will respond. this isn't a peronal attack on mannie I just happened to see her mentioned by name on another review. she needs some further training I feel on how to treat customers who have paid good money to stay at lux le morne.

I actually feel though that cusomers who stayed during the changeover party should have been warned in advance and maybe some form of discount should be offered on a future stay (if we come back) . I will definitely be back to the easy dive center though which was the highlight of my stay , passed my open water there in 2010 and my advanced in 2011 , so will be back there even if we decide to stay elsewhere.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank IanLDiver
, General Manager at LUX* Le Morne, responded to this review, 5 July 2012
Dear IanScubaUK,
I read your review today concerning your stay in December 2011 and we are very sincerely sorry that Manie’s welcome has been so poor. The changeover has certainly created quite some unrest during these few days and Manie had the difficult task to relocate our guests; we are at fault unquestionably and I apologize for any inconvenience caused. Thankfully we will not engage in any rebranding/launching in the foreseeable future. We have reinforced Manie’s Team and have appointed a very competent Front Office Manager since January 2012, and a lot of training has taken place. I thank you for your kindness about the show. By all means should you wish to come back to enhance your advanced PADI, please get in touch with me as it will be my duty to show you that we have indeed addressed this issue.
Yours sincerely,
2.4 km away
Paradis Beachcomber Golf Resort & Spa
53.1 km away
Four Seasons Resort Mauritius at Anahita

Been to LUX* Le Morne? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK