We arrived in Mauritius having spent 10 days of our honeymoon in South Africa. The honeymoon was wonderful to this point, and we planned a few days lying on a beach before returning to the UK.
The location is stunning, but there were some serious lacking in comparrison to every place we stayed in South Africa in almost every other catagory. The welcome was good, and we were taken to a very nice room with outdoor shower and view over the beach.
We were on the infinity package, so I expected to pay very little extra for food and drink. However, the way they are setup (especially in the restaurant breakfast is served) is a minefield. I had to try and navigate my way around what was included, and what wasn't. On our first evening they had run out of some of the included desserts by 8PM. The problem with what is included and what isn't in this resturant is that there is very little discernable difference; it's not like it's only Lobster which you have to pay more for, it's lot's of pretty basic foods. We didn't go back to this restuarant and the service was slow, and poor.
Nipa and the Beach are both very good; nice food and great service without the supplement issues the other restuarant offers except on the Nipa tasting menu fish night which is understandable.
We had a stunning meal on our last night on the beach, with a fire and marquee. The service was ok, if abit slow as we were sharing a waiter with another couple further down the beach. We paid around £60 extra to have this, but it was worth it.
My biggest issue here was this idea that you get what you're given. I would have expected ultimate flexibility for guests here, but I did feel as though I was a number just working my way through the system. There was a lacking of attention to detail and i'll give a few examples which were faulty tower-esque.
On the menu they serve kettle chips. We eventually realised that they clearly had run out after a few days of ordering them, not recieving them, asking again, not recieving them, asking again, not recieving them and eventually getting a bowl of hot chips. The issue isn't about the fact they didn't have any, it was that they didn't just say so. It became a running joke throughout the holiday about what might turn up if we ordered them!
- At the light snacks bar, we ordered breaded mororella and after waiting for an hour recieved breaded fish. (Alongside some battered fish we had also ordered).
- The singer on our last night asked if we had any requests, we had one, Your Song by Elton John. He didn't do this, but gave us a Bryan Adams number as there seemed to be nothing else.
- I ordered a flat white from the coffee bar one morning, and the waitress working behind the bar told me she didn't know how to make it even though it was on the menu.
- They managed to bring completly the wrong order in Nipa and then took an age rectifying it.
The last issue for me was on our last day. The infinity package ended at 1200. Not withstanding the fact we arrived very late on our first night, this was frustrating as we had to pay for things we'd had included all week. Flexibility is needed here, as it leaves a bad taste in your mouth when it's just not necessary.
It must be noted, this place looks beautiful and if you are happy to go along with what they give you it is great. I unfortunatly expected a lot more, better service, flexibility, attention to detail. They need to sort out what is included and what isn't, and really, let the all inclusive last until you leave.
We did have a nice time, but it wasn't a touch on the service and places we stayed on the Western Cape.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled at the foot of the majestic Le Morne mountain in the South West corner of Mauritius is the tranquil beach hotel, LUX Le Morne. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, HotelQuickly, Agoda and Hotel.de so you can book your LUX* Le Morne reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Lux Le Morne Hotel Le Morne
- Les Pavillons Le Morne
- Hotel Les Pavillons
- LUX* Le Morne Mauritius