“The best for romance...”
Review of LUX Le Morne

LUX Le Morne
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Le Morne
Reviewed 9 April 2012

My boyfriend and I went at christmas and had the most remarkable time. Make sure you swim with the dolphins and also ask for the private BBQ on the beach was absolutely the best holiday i have ever had.... the spa treatments were fantastic and also the food was delicious especially loved the Honestly Healthy option on the menu - very rare in a hotel that you get delicious sugar, gluten and wheat free food. Thumbs up big time for this trip! we will be back!!!

Room Tip: They are all fantastic but the rooms on the front are brilliant if you want to hear the sea and see...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank NCLondonLondon

Reviewed 8 April 2012

We have just returned from a 10 night stay at Lux Le Morne. What a wonderful holiday from the outset. We arrived to cool scented towels, very welcome after the flight and transfer. My husband and I got married at this resort nine years previously and decided to return with our 7 year old son Charlie. We waited for a period to return in order that our son would cope with the flight and also remember the holiday. We had a seamless check in with a cooling cocktail and then taken to our beautiful room overlooking the indian ocean.

The suite we were in was amazing, about 20 yards from the beach and water, we were on the right hand side of the hotel, near the tennis courts and spa.I could not fault the room it was beautiful with a sea view from the bath tub. It was cleaned and remade early on everyday alongside the mini bar being restocked. Nice touches were tea and coffee making facilities and much to my husband's delight an nesppresso maker, therefore a home from home. It could not be better including the beautiful terrace and decked area overlooking the ocean. The terrace also included a day bed, table and two chairs a welcome shady respite from the heat of the day and a beautiful place to sit in the evening, looking at the indian ocean and listening to the often hilarious frog chorus from the swimming pool.

The beach was painstakingly cleaned and raked every day by the diligent staff, sun beds and towels were set up daily, plenty enough sun beds to go round and no rush to claim an early morning sun bed, as often happens in other resorts. The pool was beautiful and appeared
chlorine free, with a wonderful seating area to one side where one can rest to have a cooling ice cream or cocktail. The bar staff were fab and fun, very friendly and interesting to talk to especially about the local area and Mauritius itself. A waiter beach service was also offered for drinks and food, nothing was too much trouble, I especially recommend the peach bellini's.

The food, I cannot fault the food. I have noticed in other Trip Advisor reports that there have been complaints about the food, this I cannot understand and I have eaten in some wonderful restaurants around the world. The breakfast was amazing, one of the best I have had in a hotel. This was taken in the named Kitchen restaurant every morning, with a warm welcome from the hostess staff, a special mention to Deepah who made us most welcome with her lovely smile and chat. There was a plentiful selection of food, from the honestly healthy selection, fresh yogurts and juices, fresh banana smoothie, pancakes, waffles, french toast any type of pastry thinkable to cold meats and cheeses as well as any type of cooked eggs and the usual bacon and sausages, I would say something for everybody. We also had breakfast on our terrace three mornings, what a treat on a beautiful sunny morning overlooking the Indian Ocean, this must be ordered the previous evening and has a tray charge of 200 rupees per person, around £5, but well worth every penny considering the care that goes into the service and choice of dishes available. I would highly suggest the all inclusive package, one never need worry about the cost of selected drinks and food. There are two all inclusive packages, one also includes a day trip to Coco Island. We had a fab lunch everyday in the Beach restaurant, there is a wood fired oven which has the best ever pizzas as well as seafood, pasta and grilled meats, wonderful with a chilled glass of wine, this restaurant is on the edge of the sea near the boathouse, a great venue for a chilled lunch. Other venues for lunch were the beach itself from 10am and cafe Lux from 3.30pm onwards, cafe Lux has the best pancakes with a vanilla cream, do not expect to stay slim on this holiday!! Dinner can be taken in The Kitchen restaurant, buffet style in the evening. There was no end of choice. A huge salad bar, show cooking, grilled meats and fish. There was also a childrens food selection available. So many endless and delicious choices of food you did not know where to start. I again have a very special mention for Allain and all the staff in the restaurants, who were very attentive and welcoming we could not have asked for more, I would love to mention each one by name. The other thing I should mention are the meals that can be taken as a couple or as a family, which are specially prepared. These of course do not form part of the all inclusive package, but if you want to do something special they are worth every penny. We had the Bonfire Dinner. There are only two of these per night, at either end of the beach. You have your own bonfire built, surrounded by candles, lights, cushions and a rug all set by the edge of the ocean. There is a low table set alongside your own picnic hamper of chosen menu. We had lobster salad, herb salad, a selection of breads, skewered meats and fish and of course marshmallows. Bliss and very romantic, you are left to your own devices to cook the food and enjoy the evening. There are also other special meals to choose from and the two A La Carte restaurants Nipa and The Beach, these can be booked prior to breakfast at the entrance to The Kitchen restaurant, as well as any special meal.

Activities are numerous - Yoga, a well equipped gym for the more energetic, tennis bicycle use and of course the spa. Water sports form part of the all inclusive, canoes, pedallos, water skiing and of course the glass bottom boat. Lots of fun to be had. Big game fishing can also be booked at the boathouse with various price options. Look out for Skipper Dan who comes along the beach, he is not part of the hotel, but he has a twin engined boat to take you out for fishing and other excursions. We went out with him on an early morning dolphin trip, which was a must, we saw around 70 dolphins at dawn a sight not to be missed, although we were not brave enough to swim with them! He also took us deep sea fishing, my son caught his first tuna and my husband an 80lb Wahoo. Negotiate prices with him for what you would like to do even cooking your catch on a secluded beach!

The hotel offers a daily newspaper given to residents prior to breakfast, in The Kitchen. This details all daily hotel events, special meals and interesting facts about Mauritius and the local area. Events include Lobster night every Tuesday and the very special Creole night every Saturday these two events have an extra charge but well worth it. Star gazing on friday evening and a movie screening on the beach, weekly.

Not to give all the secrets away, look out for the Secret Bar, it moves around !! and the messages in a bottle !!

All in all an unforgettable holiday and wonderful to return after nine years to the fabulous rebranded Lux le Morne, we will not take so long to return again. I do not believe I can find any faults and hope that anyone who reads this will have as wonderful a time as we did. Many thanks to Rocco, Vic and all the very wonderful staff at Lux le Morne that made our holiday so unbelievable.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
13  Thank char7Hampshire
Reviewed 8 April 2012

Stunning from start to finish. Great food, facilities, staff and couldn't have asked for a better honeymoon.

• Stayed: May 2011
Reviewed 7 April 2012

The island of Mauritius is a joy. It seems able to combine the tasks of producing crops/products for export and providing wonderful holiday experiences. We went there using a company that put together the complete holiday - flights, connections, all inclusive hotel, although you can go with companies like Thomson. We used Emirates to break up the flight, stopping at Dubai, as an alternative to what we saw as an arduous 12 hour non-stop flight with either Air Mauritius or British Airways. At the airport we were picked up as arranged and my wife discovered that our taxi driver was happier speaking to us in French than English, despite his English being fluent. She thoroughly enjoyed her taxi ride across from the airport on the east coast to our hotel on the west. And she had a similarly chatty ride back at the end of our holiday with another very personable driver.

The hotel was exceptional. Nothing was too much trouble. Nothing. Other reviewers will tell you about the gorgeous setting, the fabulous chalets, the trips on the catamaran to see the dolphins, the Isle de Deux Cocos, etc. I will mention only skills of the people who made the holiday so marvellous. The staff at the Lux, then called Les Pavillons, were wonderful, always helpful, ever attentive, but two instances stand out. One involved a chance encounter with one of the guys whose job was to keep a general eye on the surroundings in the event people who were not guests wandering along the beach front and potentially disturbing the guests. He was not an Olympic athlete but rather a middle aged man in a white uniform who would have used quiet persuasion to deal with anyone straying into the hotel grounds - and they would done what he'd asked them to. As I left the beach area to return to the chalet, I bade him a good afternoon, as you do. He replied in kind and then asked, "How is your holiday?" I replied that I was delighted with it and he asked, "Is there anything else that we could do to make it better?" This was the guy whose job was to walk around and look passably smart so that we felt better for his presence, and he was doing a quality check on our holiday, and he was totally sincere. He meant it. He wanted to know.

The second instance concerned food. The food was brilliant. We even had a honeycomb at breakfast that gently dripped liquid honey into a try below it so that we could help ourselves to honey at its best. The fruit selection would have filled a greengrocer's shop. However, my comment is about one of our evening meals. These meals were a mixture of themed evenings (Italian, French, Mauritian, etc), using buffet style and meals served to order at the table using a limited but high quality menu. On one of the themed evenings was North African and my wife asked me to take a look at what was on offer while she studied the wine list. I came back impressed by the selection but carrying nothing. From nowhere, the head waiter appeared and asked me by name - he knew our names - what was wrong and why I had returned with nothing. I said that there wasn't a problem and that we were about to make our selection. He insisted that if there was nothing there that we liked then he would provide us with an alternative. Did we want fillet steak instead or would we state what we wanted him to get as an alternative? We insisted that all was well. My wife found a chicken dish that she had not tried before and was just telling me how much she liked it when the head waiter returned to see how we were getting on. She repeated to him her pleasure at finding the chicken dish so nice. He too was pleased and told us that he would return shortly. Less that five minutes later he returned with a print-out of the recipe! The evening meal, like every other meal, was top notch as, of course, was the support from the staff.

The island is quite wonderful. Combine that with people who serve you who are genuinely committed to making your holiday truly memorable, and you really will blow the trumpet for this place. One of my mates has recently gone there, solely on the strength of my telling about my holiday experience.

With all these 5 star reviews, this hotel is getting it right. Go there and you won't regret it.

Room Tip: Take a first floor room rather than the ground floor.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DannyCunningham
Reviewed 2 April 2012

My husband and I have just returned from a 10 night stay at Lux Le Morne. From the moment we arrived we were well looked after and immediately felt relaxed. It's a beautiful hotel in a stunning location and the home from home atmosphere they have created is exactly what we were after. It was the perfect break from busy London and we will return as soon as we can!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
56.9 km away
Constance Prince Maurice
Constance Prince Maurice
#1 of 2 in Pointe de Flacq

Been to LUX Le Morne? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK