“A hotel in Paradise”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Grand Gaube
Haslemere, United Kingdom
“A hotel in Paradise”
Reviewed 29 January 2012

This hotel is in a wonderful setting with an excellent private beach and beautiful grounds.

All the staff were very friendly and always helpful and smiling. The food and wines within the 'All Inclusive Plan' gave plenty of choice and diversity of cuisine in all of the 5 restaurants.

The rooms were both elegant and luxurious. We stayed in an Ocean Superior Room on the first floor with a stunning view of the lagoon and beach. The cleanliness couldn't be faulted, ample towels for the bathroon and beach changed twice daily.

This was the best holiday that we have ever had and look forward to returning next year but for a longer stay.

It was a wonderfully relaxed, extremely enjoyable, 9 days

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Margaret W
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (726)
  • Arabic first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 23 January 2012

We came with some trepidation, having been informed of recent trouble at this property, and realizing after we arrived at the airport that we'd inadvertently selected a place at the opposite end of Mauritius--a 1.5 hour trip by car, which is not a pleasant thing to discover after a long airplane trip. And then, despite a gracious welcome (with fresh fruit juice and cold washcloths for refreshment), there was the sticker shock associated with the restaurant prices and the realization that we were in one of those full-service resorts in the Club Med style (though far more elegant than Club Med) where one is supposed to stay within the resort grounds, in splendid isolation from the local culture.

This is not at all the kind of holiday we usually take, or the kind of place we usually stay, preferring to explore the local culture and environment. This is all by way of saying that we were skeptical of the place. But after six days, we were fully won over and very sad to leave.
The whole staff, from the general manager Brice to the other executive staff (Sandeep, in particular) to the front desk personnel and the housekeepers, were friendly, helpful and seemed totally genuine in their efforts to make us comfortable and happy. They could not have been kinder or more thoughtful.

Of the many great things about the time we spent there, here's what sticks in my mind:

* the fabulously comfortable beds and lovely big bathtubs

* fantastic toiletries--I've stayed in some of the finest hotels in the world (the Danieli and Gritti Palace in Venice, the Four Seasons in New York and Seattle, etc.) and cannot think of another place where the toiletries would be worth mentioning; these aren't designer shampoos, but items that reflect the products and perfumes of the island; they are divine

* consistently terrific food, from the Asian noodle dishes to the pizzas cooked in a wood-fired oven, all of it was top-notch, and that is not easy to pull off in a remote island location where most of the products have to be imported; the breakfast buffet is theatrical in its extravagance, and even the free in-room coffee service (ground coffee provided with a French press machine) is memorably delicious

* thoughtful touches, like high-quality slippers and burlap bags provided in the bathrooms to tote your stuff to the beach and back

* events, like the welcome cocktail-and-hors-d'oeuvre party for incoming guests, movies in the evenings (in the daytime too when it rains), and the astronomer who will show you the planets and constellations visible from the beach at Grand Gaube

* availability of almost any sporting activity you could want, from sailboats, kayaks and pedalboats right on the beach, at the disposal of guests free of charge, to tennis, waterskiing, kite surfing, ping-pong, and a decent gym; the only exception to the quality of these offerings was the dive shop, which is not run by the hotel, but by a local contractor--the dive operation was poorly managed, wildly overpriced (about double the maximum I've paid per dive anywhere else in the world) with negligent dive masters who repeatedly lost track of divers; I have been diving for over a decade and have never before been scared...until diving with the staff from the dive center associated with this hotel; our divemaster repeatedly "abandoned" us-swam off to a distance of 30m away so that we couldn't see him and he couldn't see us in the choppy, low-visibility conditions; that's an accident waiting to happen. As for actually leading the dive, I got much more value from the observations of my diving partner; the divemaster couldn't be troubled to do anything but hang out at a distance, upright and arms crossed, waiting for us to run out of air.

* food prices: unlike the dives, the meals were actually of very high quality, but the breakfast buffet will run you about 40 Euros per person, and I certainly can't eat enough to justify that kind of expense every day; pro tip; hit one of the many grocery stores you'll pass on the drive up from the airport--you'll have a fridge in your room, maybe a microwave, and you can get pretty far with those

The only downsides worth mentioning

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Aurelia L
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 January 2012

My boyfriend booked this holiday through the BA Executive club as a surprise for my 30th birthday, as they sold it as a 5 star luxury holiday. So we were clearly very excited and he booked the deluxe room with an ocean view, half board, as we wanted to go out and try local cuisine as well as eat in the hotel; he spent thousands as it was meant to be a trip to remember.

When we arrived, and I walked through the entrance I thought it looked clean and modern and so expected that the room would be breath taking! It was anything but, when we walked in, the room did not look like it had on the BA website and looked old and tired, and was not the cleanest! There was a headboard that was made out of glass with sand and shells in it with greasy marks on the glass, totally gross. There were ants crawling around the bath and the sinks, and only some of the lights were working. There was an old CRT TV that looked like something straight out of the 80's,along with a lamp on top that looked like it hadn't seen a duster of any kind since the hotel opened, along with cracked walls, and just dust everywhere. This was not the best start. We arrived on a Monday and so it was 'gala dinner night' which meant that you had to book a table at the main restaurant, which we did. That was very disappointing, as even though we had booked half board, you had to pay extra for anything that looked nice on the menu as well as all of your drinks. Luckily we had, had lunch at the cafe under the Banyan tree, which was really nice, and I would definitely recommend having, as that was really nice and consisted more of local cuisine.
We went to the Mauritian evening the next night and were disappointed as well, as the food wasn't very nice, and the entertainment was poor. Having Mauritians in our family, we expected more and it didn't meet expectations.

In between, we went out on the beach and found that it was nice but that the service on the beach was quite slow on the quiet beach and that the water was quite shallow but the service on the main beach was excellent!

On the third and final night that we ate at the hotel, we went to ‘La Bastide’, which was a terrible experience and cost us £150 for the 2 of us as we had starters and a main course along with a bottle of COLD red wine. The service was terrible and for the price they charge –circa £50 for the cheapest bottle of red wine, the manager was shocked when we complained that we had cold red wine, they didn’t know anything about service and kept giving us the wrong dishes. We left really disappointed and decided that apart from breakfast we were going to eat outside of the hotel from that night onwards.

It was on the third day when it started raining whilst we were on the beach really early in the day before the maids had been in to clean that we went back to our room and I lay on the bed with sand on my feet, thinking that it’s ok, as the sheets will be changed. How wrong was I?!!! When I came back, in the evening after that awful meal, the bedding hadn’t been changed and so we had to sleep with sand on the sheets. Also, if you have a good quality mattress or a memory foam mattress-be warned! You will endure 14 nights of the worst sleep imaginable and no wonder as when we lifted the sheets, the mattresses were disgusting-you are thankful that there is a sheet separating you and that!!!The ones you get at uni are better than that! We were also bitten by ants as we slept!
The food at breakfast was nice but was let down by the fact that the service was really slow and when you asked for milk, you had pretty much finished your breakfast before it arrived.

The concierge was fantastic though he arranged many trips for us and a rental car when we decided that we wanted to explore the island on our own. Some of the best trips he organised for us was horse riding at ‘Le Domain De L’Etoile’ and another really pricey but really nice restaurant that I would recommend where you get Michelin star service is ‘La Langoustine Grisee ‘which is in Grand Bay.
When I complained to the hotel manager about our experience he said that the hotel was undergoing renovations, just a shame that wasn’t made clear from the outset and not reflected in the price of the holiday. I also suggested that they sent their staff to ‘La Langoustine Grisee ‘ to learn about how to serve people in a 5 star hotel and that they send their staff to a 5 star hotel to be able to meet people’s expectations when they pay that kind of money. To be honest, the hotel was full of people on real package holidays, which is not what I expected. I expected to have a relaxing holiday and the only relaxation we got was from exploring the island ourselves, as there are some amazing places to visit. They also have an overpriced ‘Nando’s ‘in Port Louis, or a ‘Debonairs Pizza’ in Grande Bay, if you get desperate.

Animal lovers beware, there are really friendly cats that come to the hotel but the hotel could do with de-fleaing them and maybe taking better care of them as they kept children entertained at breakfast and dinner times, as well as others, myself included☺. It was heart breaking to see the condition of some of them.

I would definitely recommend a trip to Chamarel-most notably the rum distillery, as it’s really beautiful. However, beware that food is only served between 12 and 3pm and the attractions close early too!!! Grand Basin is really amazing too as there is a Hindu temple there, which is worth seeing.

I just don’t want anyone else to spend thousands and end up as disappointed as we were, all we wanted was to relax as we have stressful jobs and are used to nice holidays and this was unfortunately not one of those holidays. Even though we have sent BA photographic evidence twice as they claim to have lost the first batch, we have not had an apology from them.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
19 Thank aggro_kitty
BriceLunot, General Manager at LUX* Grand Gaube, responded to this review, 17 February 2012
I wish to thank you for having take the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor.
First of all I thank you for commenting on some aspect which met your expectations during your stay in July 2011, such as the service on our main beach, and the interaction you had with our concierge Kawol. You have also expressed your appreciation of our restaurant at Banyan. As you noticed it, Mauritius has a tasty and original cuisine, and we are glad to be able to propose it at this very special place which is now called Banyan Island Kitchen. The restaurant has been recently upgraded and Marc, who was during your stay already in charge of it, really shares his passion of the Mauritian culture. I however feel distressed about the rest of your experience especially the dining experience, and clearly we did not met our objective. I would like to present our apologizes for this, and for not having been able to turn your experience around into a positive one. Be certain that all the points raised have been reviewed by myself with my colleagues, especially about cleanliness in the room, and service in restaurants. Your appreciation on the food offer has been reviewed with our chef Stephane, who recently joined us.
It is true that in some outdoor parts of the hotel, we have a few cats. They are very good at keeping smaller and less popular animals away from the resort (even if we do not rely only on them to do so!). We have amongst the team a good number of cats lovers and a few of them have adopted newly born kitten (Elke, our quality manager has now 7 cats and Xavier, our resident manager, 2. Having a dog myself who is not really cat friendly, I could not get one). Your comment on this subject has been however well received and I will make sure to review this situation in detail.
We have since the 1st of December implemented a new concept for our property, and developed a certain amount of unique experiences which are also commented in recent reviews. I realize that we failed to make your stay at Legends an enjoyable one; I would however be delighted to welcome you personnaly at LUX* Grand Gaube and experience a different way of living Mauritius.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 16 January 2012

From the minute we walked into Legends, we felt the warm welcome of the staff who always seemed genuinly happy to bend over backwards for you. No request was too big, they were always happy to help. I am a travel agent so I have been to many hotels in Mauritius and all over the world and the service and staff is by far the best I have ever experienced. It really made our holiday. We spoke to a few couples who have also travelled extensively and agreed on how incredible the service and staff were.

The hotel is built around a lagoon so just about all the rooms have some sort of a sea view. The beach is not the greatest in comparison to other beaches in Mauritius. But there are beautiful views of Coin de Mire is the distance. We had not even put our towels down on out beach chairs before someone had come to offer us a drink, and of course with that warm friendly smile that we became accustomed to at the hotel.

The food was great, a lot of variety. My only gripe is we were booked on a half board package and were told we could eat at any of the restaurant, but they failed to mention that if we did choose to eat at one of the speciality restaurants, we would be limited to a set menu. We tried the Italian and Seafood restaurants (which to be honest the service at the seafood restaurant was terrible) and the food was disappointing. I would have stuck with the buffet restaurant if I had known.

We went on a day trip to Ile des Cocos which was booked through the hotel, which I highly recommend. Beautiful private island and all inclusive for the day.

The spa is also beautiful with a Feng Shui theme, very relaxing.

We had a great time at Legends, if you want to feel like royalty on your holiday, this is the place to come to. Thank you to the staff at Legends, you made our trip amazing!

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank KimmyB84
cheshire
Reviewed 5 January 2012

This is a really lovely hotel, great staff who are both friendly and attentive , good quality food well presented and plentiful with themed evenings. The rooms were very nice with great views(ours faced the lagoon) all the public rooms were beautiful and simply furnished. Two super private beaches, probably insufficent sun loungers in high season but fine in July. My only complaint and it would stop me returning, is that the two swimming pools were not heated and were therefore un-usable, such a pity !

Room Tip: Up grade to lagoon suite