Stayed on an all inclusive basis from July 2nd -11th 2012. This was our first trip to Mauritius and we felt that being on the beach and an easy 20 min stroll into Grande Baie, we'd not feel too isolated. Had heard rumours of some hotels being like "open prisons" - isolated from everything.
The beach with a nearby town - proved to be perfect! Get bored with the beach then you walk into the shops/local bars!
We arrived 3 hours before official check-in but were pretty much shown straight to our room and as we were celebrating a anniversary, were upgraded to a superior room (to No 542). The room was quite large with plenty of storage space, an a/c and roof fan. It had a spacious bathroom and a large shaded balcony from which you could just see the sea. The bed was huge. Overall the room did look a tad tired though. The grounds were well maintained and the beach was just fabulous. There were no problems getting beach umbrellas or loungers.
Breakfast's were very good with a good selection of breads, cereals, fruit and hot buffet. Lunches were either a la carte, snack menu or pizza menu ( surprisingly if you were on all inclusive - you had to pay for pizza!!). Evening meals were either a la carte only or buffet only and this alternated. All in all I enjoyed the food and felt the hotel really did well on its food, presentation and variety.
The restaurant Staff were just BRILLIANT - everyone was helpful. The bar staff were mostly slow.
Entertainment was OK - mainly singing, crooning or just instrumental, with the "odd" cultural show thrown in. Not really my cup of tea but the folks there seemed to enjoy it.
I was totally baffled by the hotel's concept of all inclusive. Most of the drinks were not included as were the pizzas (as I said before). Always ask before ordering " is this all inclusive?". I got stung on some local rum with coconut in it - local rum is free but if a bit of coconut has been marinaded in it - you pay. Unlike any other all inclusive holidays I've been on - you do not get a wrist band - net result is that you are asked for your room number then have to sign a "bill" when you order anything! It is a bit of a pain.
Conclusion - if you want a real laid back holiday in "paradise" this is it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Merville Beach Hotel is situated on the north-west corner of Mauritius in Grand Baie, 20 minutes from the capital , Port Louis.All 221 rooms are in the 2 wings stretching from the main building in a slightly elevated position overlooking the bay. All rooms have a magnificent sea view. Direct dialing telephones, Radio, TV-video, Mini-bar, Safe Deposit box, Hair Dryer and Private Bathroom. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, HotelQuickly, Agoda and Ctrip TA so you can book your Merville Beach Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Merville Beach Grand Baie
- Hotel Merville Beach
- Merville Beach Hotel Mauritius/Grand Baie
- Merville Beach Mauritius