Lovely hotel, wonderful attentive and friendly staff who speak really good English. We stayed for 13nights on an All Inclusive Basis.
Room- our room was large, clean, with a huge bed and a great bath and separate walk in shower, large tv with a few english speaking channels. Good size toiletries and the towels and mini bar are re-stocked every day, the room was as per the brochure so no disappointments, the only criticism was some noise/music which was coming from the hotel next door which went on until 11pm every night.
Pool area- we were pleasantly surprised that the pool is much larger than it appeared in the brochure and getting a lounger was never a problem although not all loungers have full exposure to the sun, some are in the shade all day. We wandered down at 9.30/10am most days and there were still loads of loungers free, but we were there off peak season. The beach service team will serve you drinks at your lounger but if you're on the periphery be prepared to be overlooked and be prepared as the pool is very cold, but wonderful once you're in there.
Meals- Breakfast, lunch and dinner were very good, they tried really hard to vary the dishes to keep it interesting with themed nights in the main buffet restaurant, there's also the option to eat a la carte in the beach front restaurant (included for AI guests) and a fine dining restaurant (costs extra). A fairly good selection for Vegetarians, always a made to order pasta option for those that may not like the themed cuisine nights, and table service drinks. The only criticism are the birds which are brave enough to fly in to the open plan dining area and peck at the cakes and rolls which i feel should be covered, but aren't. Long trousers (jeans seemed to be fine) for men have to be worn at dinner.
Activities- plenty of free and some pay extra water sports activities plus tennis courts, croquet, football, horse riding, bike riding, boat trips etc and a Spa. All activities discreetly advertised and no-one comes round to try and rope you in to doing them which we found refreshing.
Weather- we had mixed weather, when it rained it rained continuously and we had a fair amount of cloud, out of 14 days we probably had around 9 days of full sunshine and a couple that were cloudy, the remainder were rainy days, on those days we kept ourselves busy with a trip to Port Louis for some shopping and a walk up to the Balaclava ruins which are in the grounds.
Evenings were spent at the Quarter Deck Bar playing chess, backgammon and card games whilst drinking cocktails, very nice indeed.
Weddings- we saw lots! but this never interfered with our stay and it's a really lovely location for people getting married.
Guests- it was mainly couples and honeymooners during our stay, mainly English, French and South Africans, there were hardly any children so it was really peaceful, as soon as half term hit towards the end of our stay there were a few more families.
All in all a great hotel, you won't be wowed by the beach but the grounds and seafront/lagoon area are really pretty so if relaxation, warm hospitality, and a good pool is what you're after then this is a great hotel. I wouldn't recommend this hotel if members of your party are elderly or with mobility problems as the only way to enter the restaurant is via steps.
Tips/Service- they don't encourage tips to individual members of staff, at the end of your stay there is a discreet tip box in which to tip for your entire stay, these get divided amongst all members of staff so be sure not to forget to put something in as the service is really good.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sparkling sandy beach, tropical gardens and the crystal clear turquoise waters of the Indian Ocean... Live the essence of a great island escape!Immerse yourself in this luxurious five-star beach and spa resort gently nestled within a picturesque private estate along the protected marine park of Turtle Bay.Enjoy a prime location on the sunniest and sheltered Northwest coast of the island between the capital Port - Louis and the lively village of Grand Bay and indulge in the pure nature of the historical estate of 25 hectares awarded 'Most Beautiful Garden of Mauritius'. Be spoilt by world-class accommodation with 215 luxurious rooms and suites as well as an exclusive villa, all sea facing and elegantly designed ...ideal to embrace the tropical ambiance of the island. Savour endless culinary delights during your journey with an exceptional selection of five exquisite restaurants and three bars ranging from 'feet in the sand' beach restaurants to Asian fusion and the exclusive fine dining restaurant 'Chateau Mon Desir'.Pamper yourself in its 'Maritim Tropical Flower Spa', an oasis of wellbeing offering exclusive treatments and stunning facilities to relax and unwind.Those seeking for active holidays will benefit from an infinite range of land and water sports offered such as horse riding, golf, archery, water ski, diving and many more!Whenever you are looking for relaxing or active holidays, this 5-star luxury hotel, part of Maritim Hotels, will offer you an exceptional array of facilities and experiences combined with the highest standards of service delivered with genuine Mauritian hospitality. Maritim Resort & Spa Mauritius ...your holidays... beyond paradise ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Agoda and Expedia so you can book your Maritim Resort & Spa Mauritius reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Maritim Mauritius Balaclava
- Hotel Maritim Mauritius
- Maritim Hotel Mauritius
- Maritim Resort & Spa Mauritius Balaclava