InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort
US$ 348
US$ 197
TripAdvisor
Sea View Villas(Balaclava)
The Oberoi, Mauritius(Pointe Aux Piments)
US$ 675
US$ 594
Victoria Beachcomber Resort & Spa(Pointe Aux Piments)
US$ 308
US$ 283
Official Site
Le Meridien Ile Maurice(Pointe Aux Piments)
US$ 205
  • Breakfast included
Villas Mon Plaisir(Pointe Aux Piments)
US$ 81
  • Pool
3,273 results
All reviewsnoble housesenso restaurantharsh manichief conciergejacuzzi roomkevin ritoopresidential suiteindian foodheated poolthe resort managerjean pierreour honeymoonmain restaurantspecial thanksfamily roomocean viewguest relations
Reviewed 15 May 2012

We (2 adults and 1 year old kid) stayed in Intercontinental for 10 day and overall found hotel very average comparing with our previour Intercontinental experience.
What we didn't like in the hotel:
-hotel airport transfer: car came with broken baby chair
-check in: we came in the afternoon and after 26 hours trip with 1 year old baby were sitting for 2h in the lobby waiting for the room. And this having Ambassador level in Intercontinental chain.
-breakfast: very poor, nearly no baby / kids food, be carefull with milk based fresh products as they stay for the couple of hours in the heat, poor fruits selection, no fresh juices
-other dinning experience: Asian and Indian restaurants have absolutely unacceptable booking policy, meaning 'no reservation - no dinner' even if restaurant is absolutely empty. Segala (grill) restaurant is much more flexible and stuff very friendly, food quality is very good. Thanks a lot once again for making vegetable poure for our baby's lunch. Especially thanks for the cooks, managers and Ms.Carishma working there.
-beach: it is not sandy beach, but small stones with corals, so kids can hardly walk without shoes there
-sea: sorry, but it is more sea view, as you can't really swim there, as deapest place we found is 1m deap.
-room: in general was great, if not ...................houndreds of ants there...everywhere...one 1 took out from my nouse in the morning. We were forsed to use cooler as only one safe place to store baby's items (food, dummis, bottles, etc.)
-Location: if you are coming for a 5+ days and ok to drive on the left side, rent a car, since hotel is in the middle of nother and taxi is really expencieve.
Another thing - hotel don't have elevators, so if you are with a baby, ask for the ground floor better.

What we like:
- water sports. Great choice, most are free
- nice and cousy territory made in the way you don't feel that hotel is quit big. Comfortable furniture, trees, small pools.
- Segala restaurant
- locals who were fishing octopuses in the territory :-)

In general hotel is ok, but most of the stuff and lots of minuses makes it 3-4*.

Room Tip: If you have a baby, ask for the ground flour as no elevators are in the hotel.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Nata_Baltics
Arnaud E, Executive Assistant Manager at InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2012

Dear Nata_Baltics,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on Trip Advisor.
We have already received your feedback through our InterContinental online questionnaire and I have shared with you our comments.
I take the liberty to copy below the letter we sent you with my GM last week.

Thank you for having chosen the InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort for your recent visit to Mauritius.

Your comments have been brought to our attention via our HeartBeat online questionnaire and we wish to sincerely thank you for your very constructive feedback. Guest expectations and needs continuously evolve and you sharing your experience with us is the most precious tool allowing us to always adapt and progress. All the elements you mentioned have been raised with our teams.

We sincerely regret to learn about your unsatisfying experience especially regarding cleanliness and staff attitude. We would like to present our apologies should you have felt that our staff had an uncaring attitude.

Our guest rooms are inspected on a daily basis by our Housekeeping management staff. However it appears that the cleaning was not up to standards in your room. Coaching, additional training and spot checking have been increased to avoid such situations to reoccur in the future.
Being in a tropical environment, we have a comprehensive pest control system in place. Unfortunately ants move quickly and unpredictably depending on where they spot food. This problem is not common and can eradicate the issue in a guest room by providing additional pest control treatment. I apologize if we felt short on this occasion by not offering the service.
Being one of our most Loyal customers, we upgraded you to one of our Jacuzzi suites on the top floor of the hotel. The hotel being full during your stay, it would have been difficult to find an alternative Jacuzzi Suite as we only have 20 in the resort.
Further to your comments the hotel has reinforced our Permanent Maintenance Program and Common areas cleaning schedules.
Our Gardeners are cleaning the beach and the gardens on a daily basis. However reading your comments it looks like it did not match your expectations and I deeply regret it.
Your Food and Beverage experience in our Noble House restaurant was not up to standards in terms of service from what I can gather in your feedback. It has been passed on to our Food & Beverage Manager to review his staff attitude, procedures & training.
Having a 22 month old son, I understand that security is a must. I have contacted our partner regarding the broken baby seat as this is clearly unacceptable.

Our guest’s comfort and security, along with the quality of service are our highest priorities. Please accept once again our sincere apologies should you have felt that our staff did not show interest in your experience and did not resolve your issues while you were staying with us.
We hope that the image you have of the InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort has not been completely tarnished and wish to have the opportunity to welcome you soon again to provide you a Unique, Authentic and Enriching experience.

Reviewed 14 May 2012

We are 4th time visitors to Mauritius and have first hand experience of 5 hotels. I Booked this hotel to celebrate my wife's birthday on the 28th April.
On a very late arrival the same day we were sent to dine at 9.45pm on the beach.A cake was offered to be brought to the room, very nice!
Thereafter escorted to our room number 1203. This is were our problems commenced!
The G R opened the door and started singing happy birthday but unfortunately did not get far as the cake was covered with cockroaches!Instead of moving us immediately she tried to wave the insects off the cake and left! my wife tried to convince herself and us that the cockroaches most probably flew in and would disapear!This did not happen they appeared in chips left in our closed suitcase.( My son felt ill upon eating infected food.) they got in our clothes and personal belongings!
On Monday i asked for a solution and discussed this with Adilah at front desk, whom i believe to this day really tried her best to resolve our problem.
They offered us room 1503 which was not ideally situated or a room clean. Now we all know that a move means half a day lost in packing and repacking! the alternative was a in depth room clean on Tuesday morning at 8am, we would vacate and be back at 12.30pm. all spray smell etc ., would therefore be clear by evening! Upon my return at 13.30 the room had not been touched! I confronted cleaning staff and asked WHY. Told that they had to many shifts! By then i was very upset and requested a move to better room at hotel cost! I was phoned a hour later and offered room 1022 with a beautifull view on 3rd floor!
More problems good size room with a big tree blocking the sea view!
Soap dish falling off the wall, main phone not ringing, blurry picture on TV in bathroom. Coach cushions turned over to incorrect side to cover dirty spillage marks!.light in safe cupboard permantly on due to broken switch.All reported to maintenance. Soap dish fixed nothing else! we gave up because worse of all the electrecity power went off 6 times over next 2 days. Maitenance men came at first blamed our phone charges etc., then we unplugged all still the same!
A new cake was delivered at 4pm, but promised food platter for inconvenience never arrived untill i queried!,because i needed to order some food, we then got 3 apples 2 pears 2 bananas
and exactely 2 grapes. The room service apparently did not know about this arrangement!
Furthemore this hotel is not on a bus route you are then forced to order taxis at high cost!
We decided to take the boat shuttle to Port Louis.Departure time 9.10am from hotel -Return board 12.45 Port Louis. I told Pascal the pilot that we would se him at 12.30 he replied no way they depart 12.00 and showed me his time table not the same as hotels .We therefore lost 45 minutes, reported this to manager concerned , he thanked me and would investigate!,bill remained the same!
On Thursday our power was once again off and room was not made up at 15.30pm. Reported came etc., etc., etc.,.
Booked A SPA treatment with lady in SPA in front of SPA manager,whom suggested a junior massage for my son at cost of Rup2800 .My wife was given slip to sign did not check and my son was charged Rup 4800. queried bill on 4th night at 22.30 was rudely told Front Desk Supervisor that bill is correct! There are NO teen massages!I then asked that they get the SPA manager on line, which they eventually did and corrected bill no appology!
Infavour of this resort is the room size, food is of a good standard and service in the Food and Beverages is excellent! i stated the same to Doreen whom tried to make up by giving us a lovely evening meal on the beach on the last night. the reaction time also of the lady on 0 line was also quick and i must say she tried!
Untill this hotel sorts out its house keeping and maintenance problems,it will never be able to compete with other hotels we have visited!

Room Tip: try room on ground floor
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank MR GIOVANNI S

Dear Giovanni s,

Thank you for sharing your comments on Trip Adivsor.
I have read them carefully and shared them with our Management team so that they can all share with our team members and prepare an Action plan to prevent those issues from happening in the future. There is a mix of technical and attitude issues.

We sincerely regret to learn about your unsatisfying experience and would like to present our apologies should you have felt that our staff had an unprofessional attitude.

We have already reinforced our Permanent Maintenance Management Program to avoid rooms with so many technical and cleaning issues.
Being in a tropical environment means that we have implemented a comprehensive Pest control. However it appears that your room was not cleaned, treated properly.
I am reviewing the boat schedule with my Recreation Manager to understand where the miscommunication comes from. Same applies to our Spa Manager.

I have conveyed your nice comments to Dorine and to our Instant Service team.

We are definitely working on Action plans to correct the issues mentioned in your feedback and therefore hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again in the near future.

Reviewed 14 May 2012

We stayed in this property for 7 nights. Though we had requested for early check in , we had to wait for 1 and half hr for the room. We were booked in ocean view room but were given garden view room, even after asking reception for this, they didn't do anything about it. This hotel is not meant for families as their kid's club is badly managed, the beach has very small area where one can swim. We had terrible experience at senso , the buffet food is below average, nothing prepared for kids, for their liking, the waiters are so rude, that you ll hesitate to ask them for any thing. I don't think they even care about hospitality..... As the manager only not bothered about service. Breakfast buffet is over crowded, so better to eat in segala, the staff here is reasonably good. Booking any other restaurant is difficult as even though they have place they refuse booking. The sea facing tables are reserved for honeymooners , if you want those tables you need to pay 1500 rupees extra, thts what we were told. Thts quite unfair. The food in segala is good but can't say same about noble house. In noble house also we had to face rude waitor. They really need to improve their service. The rooms are ok...I wont like to visit this hotel again and won't recommend to any body.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Vinita S

Dear Vinita S,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with our resort. I have shared all your comments with our Management team so that we can improve our level of service and quality.
We sincerely regret to learn about your unsatisfying experience. We would like to present our apologies should you have felt that our staff had an uncaring attitude especially in our outlets.
I have already shared your comments with our Food & Beverage Manager to brief his teams accordingly.
In regards to our guest rooms they are all sea facing from ground floor to 2nd floor (highest floor). The view can be altered by the cocunut trees and the flowers. The hotel is running full occupancy almost everyday which makes it difficult to organize a room move especially with guests staying for a week or more.
Our Recreation Manager and his team are dedicated to deliver a great experience to all our "little" guests. We even have a Very Important Kid program. We have all the services to cater for families: family rooms with 2 bedrooms, kids menu available in all restaurants, Planet Trekkers Kids Club with daily activities for children from the age of 4, including outdoor activities. Our Executive Chef is always pleased to cook something specific for your children should you not be able to find anything to their liking on the Menu or buffet.
Our booking policy is to have 24h advance booking for all our specialty restaurants. However should the restaurant not be full on the day, we are always delighted to take the last minute bookings. You might think the restaurant is not full when you arrive. However we have people booking for different times and sometimes it does not allow us to take an extra booking as there is simply not enough time to have a nice and relaxing dining experience.
The tables on the Segala beach are indeed chargeable as our Honeymooners have paid extra in their Honeymoon package to get this extra service.

I still hope you brought some fond memories of Mauritius.
I sincerely hope to have the pleasure to welcome you again to change your perception and provide you with a Unique, Authentic and Enriching experience.

Reviewed 13 May 2012

We travelled there as Indian honeymooner from 2nd to 9th May and the reason why we chose the hotel is because we read good comments recently on the Indian restaurant. So, first of all, it's a pain to get a reservation at the restaurant. Luckily on our 2nd day, we managed to get through, but the real disaster. The waiter came to our table 15 mins after we were sat down, then the drinks come after the soup even though the manager was standing behind the bar and busy gossiping with the waitress. We were saved because at least food was good quality and unlimited. The same actions happened 2 days later in the same crowdy restaurant.We preferred having our food in senso, noble house and enjoyed very much our romantic beach at Segala with the wonderful service by Tulsi and hospitality by Ashwini. At least they save our honeymoon from being a disaster.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank vinod k

Dear Vinod K,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.
Veda, our Indian restaurant, is extremely popular and always very busy. However this is no excuse for bad service. I have shared your comments with our Food and Beverage Manager. He will share those comments with his managers and Veda service team to make sure it does not happen again.
I am glad to read that you still enjoyed your honeymoon in our other restaurants and I'll make sure your nice comments on Toolsi and Ashvini are conveyed to them.

We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you for your wedding anniversary.

Reviewed 12 May 2012

I have never felt so compelled to write a review as I do now about the Intercontinental Mauritius. Why now you ask, as I was there last in March 2012 and now it’s May, and I didn’t bother before? I was busy and didn't bother.
I recently told a friend who wanted to go to Mauritius about the Intercontinental (among others I’ve stayed at) as I really thought her family would love it. I suggested she speak to my travel agent, which she did and obtained a brilliant package for this hotel. Then her husband didn’t want go because of the ‘negative write-up’s’ on TripAdvisor about the hotel. SO, off I went to read the reviews.
My opinion: People, are you so pathetic that you can’t think for yourselves? READ the stuff that people are complaining about – these things can (and do) happen in ALL hotels. If you think that most people only do write ups in TA when something goes wrong, and you consider the amount of people who stay at this (and others … not just this hotel), it sort of puts things into perspective.

A phone was stolen from someone’s room and these people had ‘never before had anything stolen from their 5 star hotel rooms’- well, the hotel does not steal anything - people do. However, if you employ a large staff compliment, someone is going to have long fingers. The hotel fired the cleaning person who was alleged to have stolen the phone. Moral of the story: Don’t be irresponsible and leave your things lying around.

Another person complained about the bland food. Yet another person complained about the SAME restaurant food and said it was too spicy. You know what, there will always be someone who is not happy, and while they have the right to voice that, do you really base your choice of going to a specific hotel on someone’s view of the food? It’s different if everyone says things like “Argh, the food was badly cooked, tasted bad and was possibly off” – that’s different, but nobody says that. I have read reviews about the Château restaurant at the Maritim Mauritius – good and bad. This is one of the BEST restaurants I’ve ever been to on the island, and yet some people don’t like it. Le 58 Tour Eiffel up the Eiffel is fabulous and even boasts a Michelin star), and we had people in our group of friends who complained non-stop about everything. Moral of the story: When it comes to food, we are all different and two people can eat the same thing and one loves it and the other not. Is this something that you use to choose a hotel? I think not.

There are a number of things people have complained about regarding this hotel and others in Mauritius (I love Mauritius and go there often). I’m not saying people shouldn’t complain or do write-ups, but when reading these things, do keep some perspective.

I have stayed at 47 different hotels in Mauritius, and while the Intercontinental was not the best of the best, it was really very good. This hotels offers value for money (value for money does not mean cheap), it offers a wide variety of restaurants to choose from (some better than others depending on your taste), the rooms are new and well maintained. The rooms are sea facing which does NOT mean sea-view. Sea facing means they face the sea – that’s it.

They have a super little heated pool which is great for chilling out in at night watching the sunset on evenings which might be too chilly to be in a ‘normal’ pool - you don't get many heated pools in Mauritius.
Their kids club (yes I have a 4 year old) is brilliant (like most of the kids clubs in Mauritius).
It would be easier to tell you what is not good about this hotel, as most of it was really, really good.
The Spa, in my opinion, is not great. I felt the décor was too dark and prefer to go to spas where it’s light and airy.
The service is often slow, but I assure you that this is something you experience at most Mauritius hotels – in fact, 'slow' is part of the overall charm of the island.
Our toilet ‘went wrong’ but we reported it and it was fixed up chop-chop. Toilets go wrong in our own homes – it happens. The room next door had a problem with their TV. The chap was furious and told me when we were chatting at the entrance to our respective doors, that it had been broken for 4 days. When I asked him if he’d told anyone, he said he hadn’t. People, the staff are not psychic – how can they fix something if they don’t know it’s broken. Wally award for that chap.

I don’t claim this is the best hotel on the island, but it’s a really nice hotel and while the things complained about on TA are important to those complaining, as the reader, try to keep some perspective. Not just about the Intercontinental, but all hotels.

Lastly, if you think I work for the hotel (as my husband thinks people will feel), I do not. I live in the Cape Winelands. If you message me directy, I would be happy to tell you more about our experiences are many of the hotels in Mauritius. Since Mauritius is a short flight from South Africa, we often go there. We have stayed in some awesome hotels (Four Seasons, Le Saint Géran, Maritim, The Residence) and some really ‘scary’ ones (Ambre, Indian Resort, Coco Beach). I will go back to the Intercontinental any time.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
13  Thank Cathy20

Dear Cathy20,

The whole team at InterContinental Mauritius Resort thank you for your fair comments on our resort.
I have shared it with all our Managers and it made their day!

We hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back with your family in the near future.

Warm regards,