Stayed for 8 days. Resort is lovely, with impressive pool area and quiet beach areas. Sadly, room cleanliness & service was not at 5 star level. The bare minimum of toiletries provided & some bath towels had seen better days. Room was full of bugs on 1st night and room had not been cleaned just tidied to make it look ok. Bed was smelly and surfaces stained. To be fair reported next day and room was cleaned to better standard. My disappointment was that a room had been given in a less than satisfactory state. Cleaning was hit & miss on a daily basis, no consistency of service. Rooms are furnished beautifully & bathroom heavenly, such a shame the servicing of the rooms puts a damper on things. The resort lacks that 5 star feel, no drinks service offered around the pool, towel cabana not located near the main pool, and other little things that make you feel the staff don't go that extra mile. Buffet restaurant not my thing, too canteen-like and I cannot abide the people who maul the food only to place it back in the serving dishes once they have sniffed at it!! The Maurice restaurant was nice & service so much better for breakfast & dinner. Chinese was lovely, a lot of the menu was not available
on the night We went but what we did order was excellent. Taxis booked through the concierge were a total rip off. About £30 to be taken to a supermarket less than 10 minutes away. Staff lack the customer service of other hotels although Kevin, the head concierge was excellent & made every effort to help us on a number of issues. Joanna in kids club also great swell as young girl from reception who was eager to help. Accommodation manager was rude & obnoxious - not at all pleasant to deal with. On the last 2 days of our holiday the pools had not been cleaned due to the pump & filter blocking during the night. No notice put on the pool and only that I noticed it was looking cloudy and asked they would not have told me. My 3 year old was happily playing up until that point and we retreated to the beach. It took 2 days for it to be fixed and lots of guests had no idea they were swimming in pools that were quite frankly disgusting by the 2nd day with tide marks of dirt surrounding the Walls. Some guests took photos of it, me too. To add to my disappointment of how they look after guests, my 3 year old fell down an open grid that was hidden by grass. The lid was faulty and her leg went straight down which could have broken severely had she fallen forwards. The grid had an iron bar protruding in the base which scraped her skin and luckily that was all. The guests who witnessed the fall were shocked as was I to see the reaction from management who put the lid back on the grid and offered my daughter some ointment for the scrape. No apology - nothing! This was my 2nd to last day and by then I had seen enough of the intercontinental. I was happy to be going home. All in all I would not return to this hotel, it is a 3 star hotel rating and I wanted 5 star, it served it's purpose for us as we just wanted to get away from it all, we
hardly ate in the restaurants and drank on our balcony most nights and sat by pool & beach during the day. Choose another hotel if you are looking for 5 star, I stayed in Awali Heritage on my previous trip which WAS 5 star and a 100% definite for revisiting.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort is located on one of the most pristine stretches of beach overlooking Balaclava, Mauritius. Offering 210 well-appointed rooms including 10 presidential suites, 40 family-type, 20 Jacuzzi rooms, 20 Executive rooms with free WiFi and 120 standard rooms. Facilities include: 3 bars, 5 restaurants, 2 swimming pools including one heated pool, 8 massage rooms, a unique private island, Planet Trekkers kids club, recreational activities, tennis court, 4 meeting rooms & 1 ballroom. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Prestigia, Hotels.com and Agoda so you can book your InterContinental Mauritius Resort Balaclava Fort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Intercontinental Mauritius Resort, Balaclava Fort Hotel Balaclava
- Intercontinental Hotel Mauritius
- Intercontinental Hotel Balaclava