“If you like food you must try this place!”
Review of vinum cafe

vinum cafe
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: This restaurant is housed in a building at The BRotherhood Winery,Washingtonville,ny 10992
Reviewed 16 November 2017

I am currently working in the area and decided to take my girlfriend someplace special I thought she would enjoy. After taking the tour and tasting the wines at Brotherhood Winery we went to Vinum Cafe which is also on the property. As it is restaurant week we ordered the 3 course special for each of us. I also had to try the Foie Gras. This is a French restaurant and definitely lives up to the standard. We both started with the Acorn squash soup which was very creamy and out of this world. For me they also brought out the Foie Gras appetizer. If you have ever had it then you know how good it can be and then you need to take that expectation and raise it because you will be wishing you could eat a mountain of it once you try Vinum’s . For an entree my girlfriend had a steak and French fries. (On the menu it was French and I don’t recall the exact terminology ). The steak was cooked an exact medium rare and was like butter. The French fries were so crispy that even with some of the sauce from the steak they still crunched. I had duck confit which was amazing. The duck was very tender and tasty with no gaminess taste and cooked perfectly as everything that came out seemed to be. For a vegetable I received sautéed lentils that had just a slight touch of vinegar taste and seasoning that just made you want more. For desert we had fresh mixed berries with homemade whipped cream and a little fresh tarragon on top to add just a hint of licorice flavor. The seasoning on everything was spot on. The waitresses and waiters were outstanding. The prices were way below, even on normal menu items, than you would expect from a place of this caliper. The restaurant is casual though and the atmosphere is fantastic. We cannot wait to find any excuse or no excuse to go back again.

1  Thank Richard C

Reviewed 13 November 2017

This is a small traditional French Bistro offering traditional French food. We had excellent service and the best duck and Fois Gras anywhere. The cocktails were good too!

1  Thank HoustonWonderlust
Reviewed 8 November 2017 via mobile

We were visiting from Texas and wanted a place close to the Caldwell House B&B for our first night in the Hudson Valley. Located on the grounds of the Brotherhood Winery, the Vinum cafe seemed a good place to try. We were concerned about some negative comments made about the service but were pleasantly surprised to the contrary. The food was excellent and our server, Carla, most attentive and prompt. The onion soup and foie Gras were perfect starters and the scallops and duck magret done Asian style rounded off a great meal in informal settings. Would certainly return if the restaurant was open on Mondays.

1  Thank MEKW1
Reviewed 29 October 2017 via mobile

The host was one of the rudest people I’ve ever met. We walked in 15 minutes before our reservation to a half empty restaurant and told we would not be able to be seated, helped, given wine, water or anything else until our reservation time. We were left at the entry and avoided by the host until he deemed it time to seat us. Our party was horrified by the exchange and sorely disappointed by this first impression, which soured an otherwise pleasant experience.

Date of visit: October 2017
Reviewed 25 October 2017 via mobile

My husband and I received a wine tasting gift certificate as a present with money for lunch at Vinum when we were finished. Although I made reservations, the restaurant was only 1/3 full. The tables were extremely close together so I felt as if I was sitting on top of my neighbors ( who may I say were more buzzed then we were after the tasting). It was difficult to carry on a conversation with my husband. The menu selections were not that extensive but the prices were reasonable. I had a grilled chicken salad which I had asked for the dressing to be put on the side and of course it was covered in it. The olive oil was a bit heavy and the salad was served in three separate sections... lettuce, tomato’s, chicken. The rolls were warm, fresh, and delicious.
I wish they would have offered the outside seating since it was a beautiful day, much quieter, and the tables were more spacious. I didn’t see them till the end and I was using the restroom. I can’t even remember what my husband had, unfortunately that’s how unimpressed we were!

Date of visit: October 2017