“Pretty good bar & good soup”
Review of City Tavern

City Tavern
Reserve with OpenTable
City Tavern is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #16 of 98 Restaurants in Victor
Reviewed 13 November 2017

Stopped in for beer with friend and all was well. Excellent soup and service was OK. Pizza maker behind bar was busy. Has TV screens galore.

Reviewed 10 November 2017

We went to City Tavern on Halloween this year to see what all the fuss is about. It's usually too busy to get into so we thought Halloween would be a bit quieter. It was, and we got seated right away.

The menu looked pretty good. The prices were a little higher than what we normally spend when we go out to dinner but still worth checking out. In addition to the regular menu, our server presented us with the Daily Specials. My husband ordered the salmon, myself the pork chop (the Tuesday Daily Special). It came with mashed potatoes and brussels sprouts. We didn't think to ask how much the items were, we figured they would be comparable to other entree menu items ($20-$25 range).

Our meals arrived looking delicious. And they were. However I really wanted butter with my mashed potatoes (not unusual right?), so I asked our server for butter. She returned with a generous helping and I put about 1/3 of it on my potatoes. As I said, the meal was quite delicious (as well as plentiful) and we finished up satisfied and satiated.

I stepped away to visit the ladies room and while I was gone, the check arrived. My husband paid it and when I returned to the table, we left.

As we were walking to the car, he asked me "How much do you think that pork chop was?" and I said "I don't know, $25?" Given how much the other menu items were, I figured it probably wasn't a $14 pork chop.

"$29.99" he said. "And your butter was $.50. We paid $30 for a pork chop and were charged for butter." My husband isn't a cheapskate and rarely complains about anything, but the irony of this situation prompted him to speak out. It wasn't that the butter was $.50, it was the fact that we were charged for butter. On a $30 pork chop. That came with mashed potatoes. And mashed potatoes and butter are like PB&J (at least in my world). And it was on the menu anywhere. We wondered how much they charge for ketchup? A1 sauce?

We are no worse for wear because we paid an extra $.50 for butter but just the idea that we were charged at all for is why City Tavern gets only an average rating.

1  Thank poydie
Reviewed 28 October 2017 via mobile

Large indoor and outdoor bars. Many TVs in all the dining rooms. Great pizza and salads. Always enjoy my visit. Sometimes waiting for service is long.

Reviewed 19 October 2017

A friend and I went to City Tavern on a Wednesday evening around 7:30pm. Neither of us had been there before. The place is quite nice inside - clean and modern. The building is essentially divided in half. The left half is traditional dining. The right half is the bar area. While standing in the entrance way waiting to be seated, we noticed how loud it was inside. This was a concern as we wanted to talk. We were seated on the left / traditional dining side and it wasn't as loud in there. We found it easy to talk and hear each other. The walls have MANY televisions on the walls. I often found them distracting and took my attention away from listening to my friend. For dinner I ordered the Montana Burger with the steak fries instead of French fries. The burger was delicious! The steak fries were more like potato wedges than traditional steak fries. My friend ordered the 8" Vegetarian pizza. It was much larger than either of us expected. The down side was one side had a black / burnt edge. And that would have been fine. However, the bottom was black / burnt as well. For her it was not edible. The waitress (Joclyn - hope I spelled that right) was AMAZING. Not just with this but the entire night. She handled the situation with ease and grace. She took back the pizza and my friend ordered Grilled Chicken Sandwich in its place. She said it was delicious. For beverages, I had a soda and my friend had two glasses of wine. She stated that the wine was a little pricey. All in all a pleasant experience, even with the hiccup, and we would go back.

Reviewed 12 October 2017

We have been there 4 times now. We have tried the meatloaf (signature dish) enough for two meals , the stuffed peppers, grilled salmon, pork chops. All of these were VERY GOOD. I highly recommend them. The last meal we had there was the Monday special: chicken Parmesan. This was disappointing. I would not order this again. It just didn’t stand up to their other dishes.