“Close-by weekend escape”

GreenLeadersBronze level
New Jersey
“Close-by weekend escape”
Reviewed 30 April 2012

Arriving Friday afternoon for a weekend stay, was welcomed by the front desk and offered assistance with the luggage. The room was large, well furnished, clean, and comfortable with in-room coffee and a refrigerator. The well landscaped property consists of two old mansions with a number of outbuildings located on a hillside with most guest rooms in newer, multi-level connected wings . The mansions are used primarily for corporate events and weddings. The rmanison rooms are decorated very nicely but many are locked or were set-up for the two weddings scheduled for Saturday. There are not many places to relax in either of the restored mansions. The Biddle Mansion has the tavern/restaurant, Cellar 49, located in the basement "open only to guests." Mid-manhattan prices in the suburbs: $19 hamburger (with the works), $30. fish and chips. They did offer two complimentary drink coupons and a 10% discount card at check-in.
After touring Philipsburg Manor up Rt. 9, came back to the hotel on Saturday to swim and enjoy the whirlpool in the below the well-equiped exercise room. That was short lived when four young teenage girls invaded and made relaxation impossible. Speaking with someone else later the same girls were up and down the hallways banging on their door which had a "do not disturb" sign and then running away laughing. The property could use some CCTV for monitoring.
Appreciated the complimentary coffee and tea in the lobby for guests. Being just up the hill from Rt. 9 made getting around in the area very easy.

Room Tip: If mobility is a problem, make sure and ask for an accessible room near the lobby, try to stay away...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
THECC, Guest Relations Manager at Tarrytown House Estate on the Hudson, responded to this review, 4 May 2012
Dear NJ Daveus:

Thank you for taking the time not only to write but take some incredible photos of our Estate during your weekend stay.

Our dedicated team, many who have served the Estate for over 20 years strives to create memorable events.

Apologies for the unsupervised teens; we will be increasing our security as our busy summer season begins and will remind parents that they remain responsible for their children while our guests.

All the best, we hope to soon welcome you back.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (264)
Livingston, New Jersey
Reviewed 30 April 2012

My fiancé’ and I purchased a Sniqueaway deal for this hotel, so that we could literally ‘sneak away’ for a couple of days. The hotel was lacking in a few minor details, but was overall a pretty good place to stay.

We arrived on a Saturday, early afternoon, and it was a beautiful day – the perfect sort of day to spend at this hotel. The grounds are beautiful and well-manicured for the most part. There are flowers, small pools and ponds, and statuary scattered about along the paths. We picnicked on one of the lawns and it was just wonderfully peaceful and relaxing.

The check in process was smooth and painless and fortunately for us, the hotel was able to accommodate an early check-in. There was complementary coffee for guests in the lobby, as well as a computer terminal with internet access down the hall, which is nice if you don’t have a smartphone and don’t feel like digging out your laptop. There is also some kind of ‘electronic concierge’ terminal that I tried to use to find restaurant for dinner. It didn’t list close to all of the options available for dining (I had done some research beforehand, and noted many of the places that I found on my own were not included as options), and it did not always display menus for those that were included. And the menus that were included were limited to one page. Have some ideas before you come, or use the computer terminal down the hall. I can’t speak to how well it works for listing local activities, etc, as I did not use it for anything like that.

The lobby staff was very polite and friendly. I think every time we left the lobby, there was someone there to open the door for us with a smile, which certainly isn’t a necessity, but is a nice little touch. It lends the feeling that the employees care.

The woman working the front desk explained our meal options, should we decide to dine at the hotel (we did not), and provided us with Sniqueaway coupons. One which was good for 10% off dinner and drinks at Cellar 49, the restaurant located in one of the mansions on the grounds, which we decided to forego because the menu appeared to be somewhat limited; and one each for a complementary libation at the same establishment, which we did take advantage of in the evening. There is a room off the main bar with a pool table and shuffleboard which was completely empty when we visited. We hung there for a bit and played and chatted. The room itself was quaint and charming and a nice place to spend an hour or so relaxing. The only real downside was a bit of a musty smell throughout the downstairs bar area.

The hotel grounds are fairly expansive and consist of numerous buildings, four of which are hotel lodgings. One of those also houses the conference center and rooms, as well as the indoor pool and fitness center. There are also two mansions, one of which is used as a bed and breakfast. The other houses the restaurant and ballroom and is used for weddings and such. There is also a carriage house, which may be used for larger parties, I’m not sure. We had a copy of the map that we printed off before we arrived, and it really helped us orient ourselves.

There is some walking involved in getting around, but I did not find it to be overwhelming. On a nice day or evening, it’s actually kind of pleasant. The bellman offered to help with our luggage, which I declined as we didn’t have much. But I would imagine that the service is available to anyone requiring assistance, regardless of where they are staying. And it’s possible assistance might be required, as parking seems to be a bit of an issue. We parked in lot #9 when we arrived, and when we returned from going out for dinner, the lot was full. There was a wedding going on, which explained all the cars, and we found another lot that was actually closer to our room, so it worked out okay for us. But I could see where it might be a problem if things didn’t break right. The lots are kind of small and are scattered around the grounds. Again, be prepared to possibly do some walking.

We went looking for the fitness center, and thank goodness we had our map. There is very little signage. We wound up walking through the conference center in the Fairfield building and found it. But it could have been easier. The gym itself was somewhat small, but had a good selection of equipment. The pool water looked clean, but the bottom was becoming stained with what I assume was small amounts of rust or mineral deposits. There was also a sauna and hot tub which we did not partake in.

Our room was in the Westchester building, which is connected to the main lobby. The interior is nicely decorated but could use a few more touches and some sprucing up here and there. Nothing major. Also the hallways and half-stairwells kind of wind sometimes, and more than once I found myself having to stop and figure out exactly where I was. Then again, I could just be directionally challenged. And the only way to get to another floor is via the stairs. There are no elevators.

When we arrived at our room, a deluxe king, was clean and more or less your basic hotel room. There was only one light switch on the wall, which lit a small ceiling light in the entry way. All of the other light switches are on the lamps or lamp power cords. Kind of a hassle in a dark, unfamiliar place imho.

The bed was comfortable, and the A/C worked well – we both dropped off to sleep pretty quickly. At least until the refrigerator decided that it was time to make itself known. I would have preferred the refrigerator not even be there. It didn’t come close to keeping anything cold, and made a huge racket. I woke up in the middle of the night, wondering what the heck the sound was.

Other reviews have made mention of the thin walls, and I’ll have to concur. On Saturday, things were as quiet as a tomb, but I guess no one was around. We didn’t experience any problems until early in the morning on Sunday. My fiancé told me she was awakened by the sound of someone urinating, and we could hear voices clearly from other rooms and in the hallway. And I don’t think anyone was being overly loud or obnoxious – just normal conversational tones.

So, as long as we were up, we decided to shower and start our day. Not a good idea. The water in the shower ran for as long as 20-25 minutes, and neither one of us got a hot, or even lukewarm, shower. We both played with the handle, and did not notice any change, but when I complained to the gentleman at the front desk, he told me that if the handle is turned all the way to the right, to get hot water it must be turned slightly back to the left. Didn’t work for us, though, although there was hot water in the sink, so there was hot water to be had. We just didn’t know how to coax it out of the shower – maybe a little sign in the shower, telling guests how to operate the showers would be in order. Also the shower head leaked, spraying a fine mist onto the floor, since the curtain would not close all the way to the wall.

These are all very fixable problems, though. The grounds and the staff made up for any shortcomings in the room, and for the price we got, it was a bargain. Even at normal prices, the hotel is a good deal.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ILikeToBeAway
Dear I like to be away:

Thank you so much for your kind and detailed review. We appreciate your taking the time to share your weekend escape with our Trip Advisor community.

We are glad you enjoyed the vast array amenities as well as gardens and walking paths. For any guests with mobility challenges we have specially equipped rooms just off the lobby.

Our apologies for the shower issue, it appears our anti-scald device which prevents a guest from getting scalded in the shower tripped in error. We have had our engineering department replace the unit.

I hope we may soon welcome you and your fiancé back as our new outdoor pool pavilion will open for Memorial Day weekend.
New York City, New York
Reviewed 29 April 2012

GREAT HOTEL. If you live in the city it is a good place to relax on the weekend.Nice, clean and quite room. Only thing I didn't like was the pillow..,very hard! they took too long at checkout to give me my bill since I ate breakfast right before check out.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Liliana C:

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent escape weekend with our fans on Trip Advisor. Our staff strives to create memorable stays and I am glad we succeeded by your measure.

Apologies for the pillow, when you do return kindly let us know which type you prefer and we will be sure to accommodate you.

We hope to welcome you back soon!
Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed 28 April 2012 via mobile

I stayed here for a two day business meeting. The hotel layout is a little unusual and the decor could stand to be updated (especially the carpeting!). But the rooms have every amenity, free wifi and breakfast too. The fitness center was quite extensive and the equipment was up-to-date. The conference center was a super spot for a meeting. Service and support were very attentive and excellent. The food, especially the lunches, was excellent! There is an outdoor fire pit surrounded by Adirondack chairs overlooking a bit of the Hudson River - it was a super spot to unwind after a long work day!

Stayed April 2012
Dear Marybeth58:

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your thoughts on your recent conference with us. As the Nation's first executive conference center we pride ourselves on creating productive and memorable conferences due to our vast array of learning tools, technology and outdoor gardens.

I am so glad you enjoyed our new Hudson Terrace with the fire-pit and seating areas; soon our new outdoor pool pavilion will be open which will offer even more areas to unwind.

We hope to soon welcome you back!
New York City, New York
Reviewed 25 April 2012

I stayed at Tarrytown House for 2 nights in October, 2011 for a work training conference. The resort appeared to be very organized and handled nearly 100 of us very well. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of the cuisine, which I found quite delightful. I was particularly impressed with the vegetarian options as I was having a vegetarian moment at around this time. I understand that cuisine has much improved in recent years.

The rooms were spacious and traditional and the grounds were lovely. The area was significantly cooler than nyc, so be prepared if you're staying here any time other than during the summer.

I definitely recommend this resort for a multiple day work conference/retreat!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
Dear Neemz1:

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about your company's conference last October. The Fall is truly one of our most beautiful seasons as the Estate has literally thousands of trees in fall colors.

As the Nation's first Executive Conference Center our team is dedicated to creating productive and memorable meetings. As you noted we continue to expand our menu offerings as so many more business guests are requesting more vegetarian and gluten free options.

We hope we may soon welcome you and your organization back!