“Special Occasion Place”
Review of Equus Restaurant

Equus Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Equus Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #10 of 68 Restaurants in Tarrytown
Price range: US$ 36 - US$ 85
Cuisines: American, French
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Description: Situated atop the highest point in Westchester county, New York, housed in ahe Castle overlooking the Hudson River, the award-winning Equus restaurant features contemporary American popular cuisine. Changing with the seasons and the provenance of the Hudson Valley and nearby Atlantic Ocean, every meal is a special occasion! Every diner our "guest of honor!" Here at the Castle, the luxurious new SANKARA Spa is an oasis of peace and tranquility - worlds away from Manhattan; where a holistic treatment approach aims to rediscover inner physical and mental wellness. Only 25 miles north of The City, Castle Hotel & Spa opened as a luxury hotel in 1997; 16 years after being designated a historic landmark.
Reviewed 22 December 2017 via mobile

I went for lunch with friends and enjoyed it very much. The service is definitely five star quality — from valet parking to the host greeting on entering the restaurant. The food is top notch. There is a prefix menu for $32 that includes everything, even dessert, and it is quite good. I had the cauliflower pepper soup and a salad, as did one of my friends. My other friend had a salad, steak and dessert! Two glasses of wine for two of the three of us, great ambience, as well as perfect service added to the experience. It isn’t cheap, but it’s worth it for something special! Lunch for three of us with tip came to $180.

Reviewed 14 December 2017

We haven't been since the new owners came in..so we were interested how
it looked for Christmas. It was always charming and with lights twinkling and lovely decorations. We happened to go for Sat.Brunch while it was snowing and of course,
that makes it look like a winter wonderland...just what I wanted! But..when you drive up
the valet does not open the car door and there is no regular doorman. Not to be too
snooty but a property like this should have that covered. When we walked to the reservation
podium, after a while several people came out looking at us as if we were lost. We had the last reservation for brunch but I still don't understand why we weren't greeted with enthusiasm and warmth...they weren't rude just kind of blah-blank. Thank goodness our server, Douglas was gracious and friendly. The snow and Douglas made the meal really pleasant. It is a beautiful restaurant but not up to snuff as it was before. Also the food was good but not superb-as it was before. The only reason I gave a four-star was because of Douglas!!!

LSNakano, General Manager at Equus Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2017

Seasons Greetings dinnerand,

Thank you for revisiting and more especially for posting your impressions here on Trip Advisor.

In the short five years since new ownership, Equus has undergone at least five iterations; the most recent even now as senior management in both the Front-of-House and in the Kitchen undergo yet another turnover in search of serendipity.

Thankfully, veteran staffs like Douglas most certainly "save the day." They've been there in both good times and more challenging periods. Their dedication, commitment, and skills give us redemption and (often) forgiveness for less-than-perfect product, quality, or service.

I've shared your review with our senior management - overseeing the valet, Front Desk, Front-of-House and Culinary departments. I know that they are all keen on restoring past competencies as well as achieving even better reviews hereafter.

This winter, the Castle Hotel and Spa will be celebrating twenty years as a hotel. The first two owners have each left enduring legacies. Today, having added the Sankara Spa, we're keeping our fingers crossed, "Third time is a charm!"

Reviewed 22 November 2017 via mobile

We went to Equus for our wedding anniversary. Experience was amateurish. I’m very surprised to see so many positive reviews. First, the service was sub-par. While the waiter meant well, he was clearly untrained. First I asked for the wine and cocktail menu and only got the wine menu. Next I was undecided between two dishes. I asked if the venison was lean and was told it is “gamey”. Not quite an answer to my question but after repeating it I received an answer. Then I asked which is better. He responded that the venison was better because “they’re serving double the portion so you get more for your money”. If I wanted more for my money, I’d get a happy meal at McDonalds!!! When I got the meal there was no way I was getting “double” the portion - if it were one small venison chop alone for $46 it would have constituted robbery for which I could have called Tarrytown police :)!! Things didn’t get much better. In placing a sharper knife on the table for the meat the waiter reached over in front of my wife instead of simply walking around her. And she needed the knife because the duck she ordered was way too tough. The spicy pumpkin soup was OK but luke warm. We did receive a plate of sorbet in honor of our anniversary. The plate had “happy 15th anniversary” (I told them it was our 13th in the online reservation!!) written in chocolate around the rim but - and I feel a bit cruel saying this - it honestly looked like a third grader had written it. It was so untidy and towards the letters at the end of anniversary were blobby. My wife was horrified. By 9pm the waiters seemed in a rush to pack up and lay the tables for breakfast tomorrow. Despite this when I asked for the check it took ages to come mainly because the waiter was too busy talking and laying the tables. When I turned to catch his eye he exclaimed “it’s printing”. I asked for a check, not the complete works of Shakespeare!!
At the end we spoke to the maitre d’/manager who was very pleasant. He apologised and admitted that they’re trying to get better but that “every other week” they get issues like this and that he hoped to come back. I’m pleased that for $186 I was able to validate your need to improve but no, until you rip out everything from the management, food and service I won’t be coming anywhere near the place. And that’s really sad given that I was married at the Tarrytown castle and have had, until now, very fond memories of the place.

Reviewed 6 November 2017

Equus restaurant is a fine dining restaurant and a nice place for a romantic date. We were staying at the hotel and the front desk made a mistake and told us that it's business casual, so my party arrived underdressed. Nevertheless, the maitre'd was gracious enough and seated us.

The plating could compete with those of top fine dining restaurants. Most of the food were mouthwatering. I just wish the skin on my duck breast was brown and crispy (it was sallow). The service was a little slow (seemed short-handed), but our server was very nice and pleasant. I will go back to Equus.

Reviewed 5 November 2017

The waiters and staff and our neighboring diners were so friendly.
This is a wonderful place to have brunch!

LSNakano, General Manager at Equus Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 6 November 2017

Hello Rena G!

Thank you very much for sharing your Sunday brunch experience in Equus with us; glad you enjoyed the crisp, beautiful autumn weather with us here at the Castle!

Last week and all of this week is pure craziness with so many diners enjoying the annual Hudson Valley Restaurant Week promotions. Knock-on-wood, it's been a boon for Equus as well. But, we're looking forward to settling back into the discrete, genteel dining that our guests enjoy most.

Looking forward to welcoming you back!