“Casual family friendly spot with sweet and savory”
Review of Funk 'n Waffles

Funk 'n Waffles
Ranked #61 of 779 Restaurants in Syracuse
Reviewed 5 November 2018 via mobile

Plenty of seating as they have an attached side dinning room. Old college friends in for a wedding so this place had the perfect vibe. I recommend the hot cider and getting someome to share waffle with you so you can have a sweet and savory!

Date of visit: November 2018

Reviewed 14 October 2018 via mobile

I really don’t understand the incredible ratings for this place. The place is filthy, we had to clean someone else’s mess just to sit down, and then had almost an hour long wait for drinks and food. If the food was awesome, we would’ve dealt with all this, but the food was completely mediocre and not at all worth any of the issues. The coffee wasn’t even good and had some weird oily film floating on top. Very, very meh.

Date of visit: October 2018
Reviewed 27 September 2018

I travel all over the country but I rarely see waffles made with anything but regular waffle batter. But here you can get buckwheat waffles and several others! Great choices. But don't think it's strictly a breakfast place because it isn't - they don't open until 9:00 AM weekdays so don't come early. I'd come back here again.

Date of visit: September 2018
Reviewed 6 September 2018

Concept - 5, Service - 4, Food -3, I was in Syracuse a year or so ago and had heard about this place but we didn't have the time to visit. This year, we were in town for the NYS Fair and wanted to try it out. We tried going on Sunday (of Labor Day Weekend) night at the wait for food was about an hour so we passed on it. We decided that we would try the following morning. So we got there at about 11:30 AM on Labor Day (Monday). Parking was fairly easy with lots of metered street parking around. We didn't have to pay since it was a holiday, but on average I am guessing the meters are about $1 per hour. As soon as you enter, there are a few bench style tables and chairs (about 3-4 on each side). You can sit there or go past the counter into the dining area where there is a larger dining area with lots of tables. There was a small line of people waiting to order. Feel free to grab a menu and browse while you wait on line, since when you get up there, its kinda rushed. I looked at the menu before coming so I had a good idea of what we were going to order but I would imagine for a first timer it may feel like they are kind of rushed with a line of people behind them and the fast-paced attitude (not rude though) of the staff. We ordered the chicken (wingettes/drumettes) and waffle, strawberry waffle and the Brek, which is a breakfast platter with waffle, eggs, hash browns and bacon (or sausage). They had a decent selection of beverages too including juices, smoothies and shakes. After ordering we were given our drinks and a number and then we went to find some seats. The place was about 70% full, but there we were able to find a corner table with 3 chairs. We then waited... I mean I get that food takes time, but they wait was tough...about 45 minutes at least. They called our number and we went up to get our food. There is also a little table near the counter that has utensils, straws and napkins. The food was very average. I don't think you can expect to be blown away by anything. The waffles were very plain, and varied, as mine was very sift which my fiancee's was crispy (well done?!). The eggs, sausage, bacon and home fries were also average. I must say that the wings were seasoned well and fried to perfection. The prices are very fair with a full waffle being $6-7ish and the breakfast meal being $10ish. Bathrooms were clean. Overall we had a decent experience here...I'm glad I tried it, but I doubt we will be return again. The decor and concept is really cool, but the food just wasn't worth the wait. (Maybe on an off-peak time?!) The staff was generally good. Though it is a busy atmosphere, you can tell that everyone there busts their butt to get stuff done. Someone was constantly running over to get the dirty dishes and check the garbage...so the faced paced (maybe curt) attitude is understandable...I am from NYC, so I am used to it :) There is also a stage there as well as a big bar. Also this place is opened pretty late so I'm sure the after hours vibe may be different.

Date of visit: September 2018
1  Thank Jemlnlx
Reviewed 27 August 2018

It doesn't matter if you want savory or sweet, Funk N has what you want. Everything is fresh and delicious.

Date of visit: August 2018