“Sunday breakfast”

Cuisines: Diner, Gastropub
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed 10 April 2018

We were staying downtown for the weekend and Modern Malt was one of the restaurants I had scoped out online before our trip. We took the chance and headed over for breakfast on Sunday morning and lucked out that around 9:30am, we got seated immediately (by about 10am, there was a wait). I love unique menus and this one was great. Our outstanding waiter, Kevin, explained that they are known for the Fruity Pebbles french toast and also recommended the tater tots instead of the hashbrown-like potatoes that come with most breakfasts. They serve the breakfast items, shareables and sandwiches all the time, with only the dinner type entrees starting at 4pm. I chose the Breakfast Poutine and my husband the Pig Benedict. Mine had enough tater tots to feed a family, large white cheese curds, smothered in vegetarian gravy (not a choice, just noticed in the description), topped with a poached egg, fried onion strings and chopped green onion. It was decadently delicious and even after my husband took a chunk, we didn't eat it all. The egg was poached perfectly, tots crispy and cheese just melty. I did find it a tad on the salty side though. The benedict was a couple of biscuits topped with braised pork belly (that must have been crisped on the griddle too), hollandaise, poached egg, fried onion strings and chives, with little globs of cranberry jam. The pork belly was tender - that's all I got to sample. My husband really enjoyed it with his only comment being that the jam was sweeter rather than tart, like he'd hoped.
The vibe is retro, with eclectic music (that was noticeably loud every now and then when it wasn't busy yet).
Overall, the service was great, prices very good for the quantity/quality and the food delicious. Glad we don't live in Syracuse, or we'd like be there often, which would be bad for our waist lines!

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

Modern Malt is a busy, dinner style restaurant with a very creative menu and great food. We enjoyed the Lobster Eggs Benedict, the General Tso’s Chicken and Waffles, the Salmon Salad, the Bangers and Hash, and the Milkshakes. The service was adequate. The price was on the high side for a dinner, but was appropriate for the creative dishes and the quality of food.

Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

Not sure how to describe this place. The decorating is retro 50s style with booths. The menu is extremely varied. They have a children’s menu which is pretty standard they have a variety of burgers they even have a PBJ Berger. They have whiskey and milkshakes if that’s what you want. I went there for lunch I’m good Friday it was busy with a 15 minute wait for a booth. Service was efficient and pleasant enough. I do not know if I would go back.

Reviewed 22 March 2018

After our planned brunch place was unexpectedly closed, my friends decided that we would try Modern Malt. We arrived on a Sunday at around 11am.

The place has that retro 60s diner-type look, rather than the more typical 50s look that you often get. I thought it looked pretty chic. It has booths and high-top tables. It was very busy, and we had about a 20 minute wait.

Our booth was served by the manager, who did a magnificent job of representing the place. The nice thing about this place is that you have breakfast foods and interesting cocktails! A very nice mix.

Currently they have literary-themed cocktails, like "Tequila Mockingbird" (what I had), "Fifty Shades of Grey Goose", and "Where the wild Bings Are".

The food was really tasty - every dish I tried was well-prepared, significantly large portions, and full of flavor. The timing for the food was very good, too - considering they were so busy the food came out in a reasonable time.

I had the Duck Confit Benedict which was great, but the highlight for me was the Bangers and Hash which we ordered for the table. Seriously excellent tastes in that dish!

Very good coffee, too.

We will definitely be back!

Reviewed 9 March 2018 via mobile

We came to the restaurant for breakfast on a Sunday morning, we arrived a little after 9am, place was 30% full so we didn't have to wait. Our waitress came by to take our order but we immediately noticed he wasn't friendly (it's not that she was in a rush because the place wasn't busy). Drinks came pretty quickly but food took more that 30 min. We ordered a fruit salad that was ridiculously small, (see picture) a few slices of green apple, oranges and blueberries, veggie omelette was really good, home fries were nothing special, toast were awfully burned, sausage was hard and didn't look or tasted fresh. Club sandwich was doused in excessive mayo and it was a mess.

Good: Veggie Omelette
Service: Really bad, the waitress had a bad attitude like she was being bothered, she didn't deserved the tip we gave her.
Bad: Sausage, Club turkey Sandwich and toast (Burned and bad quality)

We talked to some friends about this issue and they told us they have experienced the same bad service before. I don't think we will be back. Place has potential but what makes a good restaurant is obviously good food and a friendly staff.