“Nice stay”

Ranked #9 of 31 Hotels in Syracuse
Ottawa, Canada
“Nice stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 April 2012

Spent one night at the Holiday Inn on Easter weekend. Arrived late in the evening, good thing I had a GPS as the location is a little out of the way. Clean room, comfortable bed and wifi worked great although a little slow. I did notice walls were a little thin but not a major issue.

Breakfast was good, no fruits but the cinnamon buns seemed to be made on site and were excellent!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Ottawa
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 April 2012

Hotel seemed fine, but then we noticed large black ants. Two on the pillows, one in the bathroom, and two on the walls. You just know there are more. Continental breakfast was adequate, nothing more. Hotel is in the middle of nowhere.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Syracuse / Fairgrounds, responded to this review, 10 May 2012
Dear Sarah W,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We take comments such as these very serious and would like to follow up with you. We have sent you a private message in effort to obtain more information. I look forward to hearing back from you very soon.

Katie J
IHGCare
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

It seem Holiday Inn Express has come up with a way to "trick" people into buying rooms that are non-refundable and non-changeable. I guess they are trying to copy the airlines. So here is the deal - when you go on their website to book a room - it will call the room "pay in advance rate" (but this title does not stand out on their website and you might even miss it). This rate is not really much less that the others, so along with their 20 other types of rates (all are about the same) - it is easy to pick that one not really knowing that you are signing up to lose all of your money if you change your mind, get sick - it doesn't matter the reason. THEY DON'T CARE. I ended up getting my money back after 8 phone calls/ faxes to the General Manager of the hotel with a receipt from the hospital. What a sham - this is a totally new idea to me that a hotel chain would try to rip you off that like. Not only that - when I tried to find the prepaid/non-refundable rate again a two days before my reservation (I was getting ready to dispute it with my credit card as a fraudulent charge) - it didn't exist and a lower rate that was totally flexible showed up on the Internet. WATCH OUT! Just out of principle - I will NEVER stay there again. SHAME ON YOU HOLIDAY INN EXPRESS!

Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Syracuse / Fairgrounds, responded to this review, 4 May 2012
Dear LTTBHHIA,

I am deeply sorry for any inconvenience this has caused you, please allow me to explain our advanced purchase rate.

We have recently implemented a new pricing structure that allows us the opportunity to offer deeper discounts to our customers. In order to offer these rates we must attach restrictions such as cancellation fees or full prepayment. Some of our lowest discounted rates carry full prepayment requirements while others carry a cancellation fee.

If rooms are available for your travel date, we will always offer the option of booking either restrictive (with cancellation/prepayment requirements) or non-restrictive (can be changed and cancelled without penalty) rates. This will allow you more flexibility in making your specific travel arrangements. For example: if you are certain about your travel plans, the restricted rate will be a consideration, whereas if your travel plans are less definite the unrestricted rate may better meet your needs.

Katie J
IHGCare
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

I recently stayed here and thoroughly enjoyed the room. The staff was friendly and courteous. The room was very clean. The only thing I did not enjoy was the painfully slow internet. 512kb/s (0.5mb/s) I was there for business and using old style DSL like connection was not great. Surprised for a big hotel they don't have higher connection speeds. I stayed at a motel that had 14.5mb/s connection. I reccomend they upgrade their internet. Other than that its a nice hotel that I recommend.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank tzc5035
Châteauguay, Quebec, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2012

I was away for business trip, my boss booked this hotel. it is in the middle of nowhere, thanks to gps. got there to meet pleasant staff. my room was perfect. they even went the extre mile, as I did not have money on me when I ended up on the thruway and foe 35 cent they did not let me go. they gave me a paper to go pay within the next week, having no intention on taking the thruway again, i asked the front desk if they could take care of it for me. they accepted with pleasure to help me.thanks so much for a great stay

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business