“Oh pardon me I didnt mean to interupt your movie time”
Review of Parkview Hotel

Ranked #4 of 31 Hotels in Syracuse
Reviewed 29 January 2012

First of let me state for the record, yes, I did purchase the rooms for this hotel on Hotwire. That does not make me cheap,it doesn't make me "less" of a guest and it certainly doesn't mean you can give me attitude for booking with them instead of you direct.

I pulled up to the front to check and and an extremely nice man who was cleaning the doors at almost 11pm greeted me. I got to the front door and had to buzz to be let in. The desk clerk didn't see me or answer the buzzer so I had to knock on the door. He let me in and I began the check in process.

Now, for the past 48+ hours I been at a local hospital with a family member who has have MAJOR surgery so I needed a hotel under $100 a night and close to the area hospitals - hence my use of Hotwire. I booked 1 room, 3 night, 3 people.

The clerk went through the motions of checking me in but the entire time he was looking OVER me, not at me, but over me. I turned around - oh i get it, Lord of the Rings is on the tv behind me, so sorry to have interrupted your viewing. I get my keys, park the car and head up to the room. All my fellow family members and I want to do is crash and sleep but when we get to the room we find only 1 king size bed. Clearly not going to work.

I head back downstairs to talk to Frodo who very loudly and very rudely tells me it is my fault there is only king bed, because I booked through hotwire. Now I know hotwire works, I've used it plenty of times in plenty of cities. I know they don't guarantee bed count but they do guarantee that the room will fit as man people as you reserve - meaning we would have been ok with a king bed and a cot.

I'm so exhausted and upset, that I walk away to call Hotwire to see if we can remedy this. My husband continues talking to Frodo who then calls around as tells us he can graciously put us in a sister property - all the while acting like WE are inconveniencing HIM. Sorry buddy but its almost midnight, we're exhausted, spent over 2 days in an ICU waiting room so last thing I want to deal with is your attitude problem.

We are told to head over to the Hotel Skylar where we will get a 2 bed room for the same hotwire price. I thank Frodo and am on my way to a great hotel with very nice staff (see review)

Now I understand that Frodo didn't have to transfer me,and I get that hotwire isn't a sure be. Lesson learned if I want specifically 2 bed, I'll book directly. What I don't get is Frodo's attitude problem. You work the hospitality industry - at least pretend to be hospitable.

The hotel itself is nice, the rooms clean. The security guard for SU and the gentleman cleaning the doors were very kind. If you're going to stay here book direct and not through hotwire, apparently that is frowned upon.

Room Tip: Prepare for rude service if you got this hotel through hotwire.
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
ParkviewManagement, Manager at Parkview Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 February 2012

Dear Spsweet311,

Thank you for your contributions on TripAdvisor. We are extremely sorry to hear about the dissatisfactory service you received during check-in process. Please know we have reviewed the incident with our staff to reinforce guest satisfaction comes first. We are pleased to hear that we were able to provide you the service we strive for at our sister property.

Once again thank you for your review as it helps to improve the overall quality of the Parkview Hotel.

Staff & Management

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 7 January 2012

My husband and I recently traveled to Syracuse to visit our daughter and go to a performance at the Archbold Theater. We wanted to stay near both the University and the theater, but many hotels close to both of these destinations were on the expensive side.

On our past 2 trips to Syracuse (October and December 2011), we tried the Parkview Hotel because it was within easy walking distance to the theater and it was very reasonably priced. We were overall very pleased with our stay. As mentioned in other reviews, it is not a "new" hotel and is a bit dated, but it has a nice charm about it that can make you feel welcome. We were quite pleased with the friendliness of the staff and the quality of the flat screen television in the room. The room also had a small refrigerator to store drinks or leftovers from meals. The hotel and the rooms that we stayed in were very clean and were kept up nicely. My only complaint would be the air/heating unit which did make a bit of noise; it was also difficult at times to keep the room at a constant temperature. The unit did work well, however, and I can honestly say we were nice and warm for our stay in December.

The small cafe in the hotel serves great breakfast sandwiches and coffee, and also has fruit cups and yogurt parfaits for those looking for a lighter breakfast. It is open most of the day (except on Sunday when it closed at 1pm) and is a great place for a quick breakfast or a light snack. There are several places to eat within walking distance - both sit down restaurants and take out food - and Francos Pizza is open until the wee hours of the morning in case you really need a midnight snack!

The Parkview is used by Syracuse University as student housing. Although we were initially concerned when we learned about this, there was no need to worry. Our room was very quiet, and we did not experience a noise problem at any time during our stay. If you are concerned, request a room on floors 5 or 6 when you book your reservation as students are assigned to rooms on the lower levels (according to the information we received).

Overall, this is a very nice place to stay in Syracuse, NY, and we will probably stay there again on our next visit.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
ParkviewManagement, Manager at Parkview Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2012

Dear relaxabit,

Thank you for choosing the Parkview Hotel while visiting your daughter. Your wonderful comments will be shared with staff to enjoy. We look forward to your next visit to the area.

Reviewed 27 December 2011

We stayed overnight at this hotel. The room was a little dated, but vert clean. When we travel this is the most important feature. The heat which is a combo AC unit in noisey and would have been an issue if I didn't use earplugs. I was winter break so the hotel was very quiet. We did notice the facility is used as alternatve housing for Syracuse University, but this was not an issue when we stayed. Our sleeping arrangement changed at the last minute and the manager on duty quicky and pleasantly made the change for us. I would stay again.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
ParkviewManagement, Manager at Parkview Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2012

Dear tetrisz54,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor regarding your stay at the Parkview Hotel. We are happy to hear that cleanliness of the room exceeded your expectations and our staff was attentive to accomodate you with your requests. We look forward to being your hotel of choice next time you are in the area.

Reviewed 28 November 2011

My wife and I went to Syracuse to see a show at the Oncenter. We wanted to stay close without breaking the bank. We had seen the reviews of this hotel and decided to give it a try. We were very happy with our stay. The price, location, cleanliness and parking out back, etc. There are some major restaurants not to far to grab something to eat. You can tell from the outside that the building is a little old, but that is just part of it's charm I guess. Would definetly do it again if and when we go to Syracuse to see another show.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RetailGuy

Dear RetailGuy,

Thank you for the great feedback about the hotel and the area. We are thrilled to hear you and your wife enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to accommodating you for any future shows in the area.

Reviewed 28 November 2011

Parkview Hotel is a very pleasant, clean, tastefully decorated, smaller hotel.

Although the regular price on Trip Advisor shows as $125, we paid $109 ($123 with tax) per night on an October weekend.

It is equidistant from Syracuse University and downtown Syracuse (about a mile from each). It is the best reasonably-priced choice in the downtown/Syracuse U. area. (The Holiday Inn Express and Hampton Inn are further out.)

The Parkside is an older hotel which has preserved its charm. Examples: the stairs (often unpleasant concrete affairs) are nicely carpeted, with a black wrought-iron railing. There is solid wood and wrought-iron throughout. The elevator is a venerable Westinghouse device, with original buttons, which works very nicely.

There is convenient free parking.

I would say that the students who get to stay here (because the dorms are filled up) are getting a great deal!

Possible downsides for some: There is no pool or exercise room. There is no free breakfast, but there's a reasonably-priced cafe on the first floor and a "Strong Hearts Cafe" (vegan) a door or two to the west.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family

Dear specht3,

Thank you for your review and the details of our beautiful boutique hotel. We are happy you enjoyed your stay with us and excited to see you on your next visit to the area. Please know for your future stays, we do have an exercise facility located on the lowest floor of the hotel and it is open 24 hours.