“Valentine's Day date night”
Review of Scotch 'n Sirloin

Scotch 'n Sirloin
Ranked #371 of 694 Restaurants in Syracuse
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 16 February 2017

I took my wife to Scotch 'n Sirloin for Valentine's Day dinner. When we dated before marriage, 41 years ago, we often came to this restaurant for cocktails and dinner, so it has always had a close memory for us. The bar area is very cozy with a roaring fire in the center fire pit and peanuts to shell and toss on the floor, just like over 40 years ago.
The dinner was great and expertly prepared by a French chef. We ordered a seafood special that came with a delicious sauce and tapenade. The well supplied and varied salad bar hasn't changed in all these years and the service by multiple wait staff hasn't either. Scotch 'n Sirloin is noted for their excellent steaks but I wouldn't hesitate to try their seafood and other specials. We had a wonderful night and plan on going again soon.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 15 February 2017

Perfect place for that special evening with that special person. The circular fireplace in the bar is a great way to start or end the evening with conversation.

Reviewed 31 December 2016 via mobile

I heard some good things about this place. However, I came away disappointed.

First off, the place from outside looks like a factory. Building an entrance looks very uninviting. Though, once inside it looks much better.

One thing I immediately noticed when walking in, was that the place had some sort of "smog" in the air. I guess, this comes from the meat on the oven. For me this was a turn off, and my throat got all dried up.

Food itself was acceptable. Well, my salad was dry and small. Sea scallops were good. My friends had different experiences with the meat. One was done well, another was to dry and yet another was almost raw. So much so that is was uneatable.

Also, while having a big wine and cocktail list, the cocktails were rather disappointing. I've had two different ones and both were bland.

That said, the biggest turn off was that we got served by seven (!!!) different people. Not only that, but upon sitting down we were asked what we want to drink (mind you we were six people just sitting down). Then after two minutes we got asked again (by another person) and after five minutes again by another person. This went on and on. Even during dinner, we got asked by three different people "how the food is".

Serving people is an art. Unfortunately, most places don't invest in good people. This restaurant is no exception.

Reviewed 27 October 2016

We were two couples that stopped into the Scotch for a late cocktail last Saturday and was really looking for the atmosphere of the lovely wood fire; but it was not lit. Bar was very dark. We will try again another time...

Reviewed 24 September 2016

We've been going here for years. The food has always been pretty good here, but last time we had steak, it wasn't nearly as good as it used to be. The service here is very good and I won't let one mediocre steak deter me from eating here again. The location could be better, but that's syracuse for you.