“Not really what I was expecting”
Review of Scotch 'n Sirloin

Scotch 'n Sirloin
Ranked #367 of 693 Restaurants in Syracuse
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 31 December 2016 via mobile

I heard some good things about this place. However, I came away disappointed.

First off, the place from outside looks like a factory. Building an entrance looks very uninviting. Though, once inside it looks much better.

One thing I immediately noticed when walking in, was that the place had some sort of "smog" in the air. I guess, this comes from the meat on the oven. For me this was a turn off, and my throat got all dried up.

Food itself was acceptable. Well, my salad was dry and small. Sea scallops were good. My friends had different experiences with the meat. One was done well, another was to dry and yet another was almost raw. So much so that is was uneatable.

Also, while having a big wine and cocktail list, the cocktails were rather disappointing. I've had two different ones and both were bland.

That said, the biggest turn off was that we got served by seven (!!!) different people. Not only that, but upon sitting down we were asked what we want to drink (mind you we were six people just sitting down). Then after two minutes we got asked again (by another person) and after five minutes again by another person. This went on and on. Even during dinner, we got asked by three different people "how the food is".

Serving people is an art. Unfortunately, most places don't invest in good people. This restaurant is no exception.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 27 October 2016

We were two couples that stopped into the Scotch for a late cocktail last Saturday and was really looking for the atmosphere of the lovely wood fire; but it was not lit. Bar was very dark. We will try again another time...

Reviewed 24 September 2016

We've been going here for years. The food has always been pretty good here, but last time we had steak, it wasn't nearly as good as it used to be. The service here is very good and I won't let one mediocre steak deter me from eating here again. The location could be better, but that's syracuse for you.

Reviewed 22 September 2016

My wife and I are a bit picky when it comes to dining out. Usually avoid chains or dives. We were there from out of town, staying at a nearby hotel. We were in the mood for steak, and this appeared our only real option. Despite a couple naysayers, most reviews seemed positive, and many were loyal customers who dined there whenever in town (now us included). We decided to give it a try. As we pulled into the parking lot, my wife groaned. The building is a bit unwelcoming. Do not let this dissuade you from eating there! I quickly pointed out the parking lot was completely full, and many cars were luxury. She conceded my point. We were both very glad we stayed. The inside is a bit rustic and dark, but it was crowded and a great upbeat atmosphere. They use a very interesting concept of multiple servers attending to you throughout the meal. But it works! Everyone showed up on cue, and we were never without service. One young man, Nathan was especially friendly, and chatted with us for several minutes about the restaurant and Syracuse. Food was great. Steaks were cooked medium rare, just as we ordered, hers a filet mignon and mine a NY Strip. Veggies of the day were flavorful! Great wine special going on and the wine server was very professional when he delivered the bottle. The pecan pie was amazing. We will return for sure!

1  Thank Bill B
Reviewed 18 September 2016 via mobile

First of all I knew the waiter and he was excellent. We all proceeded to the salad bar after ordering 4 filets withe sides. The salad bar was empty. We had to go to the other room which was sparse. It was only around 8 pm. My filet and 2 others were the same medium rare she orders it different medium Hers came out like it was microwaved. The color was off and gray. Disappointed.