“Maybe it was just my experience, but marginal at best”

Best Western Syracuse Airport Inn
Ranked #20 of 32 Hotels in Syracuse
Ottawa, Canada
“Maybe it was just my experience, but marginal at best”
Reviewed 5 February 2012

My wife, our 2 year old, and our 10 month old were flying out of Syracuse and chose this hotel based on it's proximity to the airport, and because they offered on-site parking at the hotel.

I had booked a King Suite for the amenities. With two small children I needed a fridge and microwave. When I checked in I was given a double room and informed there were no King Suites available. I wound up keeping all the bottles of formula on ice and heating them up in the sink.

Upon check-in I had asked about the airport shuttle in the morning and that I had a 7am flight. I was informed by the Customer Service Manager that the 5:30am shuttle was already booked and I would have to be ready for the 5:10am shuttle. It's a very good thing I was early for the 5:10am shuttle because it filled up and people were turned away. We wound up waiting for quite a long time in the terminal, and in the airport terminal in Syracuse, there is nothing.

The hotel itself is not a bad property and appears reasonably maintained, but it is showing it's age. Not much more to be said about that.

Although the hotel did attempt to correct some of the shortcomings in the reservation I had made, I would rather they had just honored the one I had made. Also, the airport shuttle was sketchy getting out, because I barely made the early-early one.

I don't want to slam this hotel and say it's a bad place, because this establishment may be fine for most of the people who stay here. I just want to say that I stayed here and this was my experience.

I would be happy to answer any questions readers of this review may have.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank sneaky291
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 28 January 2012

We have stayed at the Best Western Syracuse on many occasions prior to taking early morning flights. You cannot beat the location of this property - within walking distance of the airport - although I wouldn't recommend it in the winter. The rooms are clean and well appointed. The bathroom has a separate vanity/sink area that is shared with the closet and is a little tight. They do have accessible rooms but I have never seen them. It is a one floor property in the shape of a octagon with a pool in the middle. The breakfast has been getting worse over our last two visits - no one seems to replenish the items and we were left with only a choice of yoghurt...no eggs, etc. and even when you self-clear your table - the garbage is full. There is a convenient shuttle to the airport and they will pick you up on your return. They are now charging for you to leave your car...so this time we parked at the airport in the covered area for $2 more per night...it was well worth it!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
NY
Reviewed 17 December 2011

Normally I have no problems with this hotel when I have stayed there in the past. However, my husband and I stayed there 12/3/2011 and when I turned the light on and looked down there were bugs all over the place, nasty!!!! We were on the first floor. Some were dead, some were alive... I immediately called the front desk, the worker came right over and said, "no they are not bed bugs, they are potato bugs!" I don't care what kind of bugs, get me the heck outta there!... He said because they don't have a basement these bugs are often found on their first floor. He moved us to the second floor and gave us a discount. No sleep that night, all I could think about was bugs... Did I say nasty????? Must say, the worker was empathetic and responsive to my concern as well as apologetic, I do hope they read this and get the problem under control. I won't be staying there anytime soon. Be careful if you stay there you might have visitors..... (=):

Room Tip: Don't stay on 1st floor
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank I-ING_SUN4FUN
Ottawa, ON
Reviewed 17 October 2011

We had stayed at the SYR airpot BW a few years back and were plesantly suprised when the breakfast they offer begins at 4AM. Why don't other airport hotels do this? Even if your flight is at 6:30AM you can still grab a quick bit. I think they also updated the beds and decor frm what i remember from staying here previously. Although the hotel is right next to the airport, i did not notice any noise from arriving or take off traffic. The beds were very comfortable. I rarely sleep the night before an early flight. Not the case here. I slept well and enjoyed a great breakfast. As a result my morning flight was all that much less stressful. Thank you and we'll be back.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank StinkyandStinkpretty
Utica, New York
Reviewed 5 October 2011

I usually stay there when I have an early flight out. The place is not very nice, nor does it smell nice. The decor is old, the tv's are the old tubes. For the amount of business this hotel does, I would love to see them put a little money into the place. But like the title, it's good enough for the purpose of staying there.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple