“Best Vegan food I have ever had”
Review of Strong Hearts Cafe

Strong Hearts Cafe
Ranked #33 of 768 Restaurants in Syracuse
Dining options: After-hours
Dining options: After-hours
Reviewed 9 April 2017

Full disclosure - I am neither vegan nor vegetarian. We had some visitors in from out of town and three out of four of them were Vegan, so they wanted to try this place. I figured that I could have some salad and soup at least, so went in with fairly low expectations.

It's in an unusual area downtown - not somewhere usually associated with restaurants and cafes. The building itself is one of the older ones around and has lots of old charm. The inside itself is pretty casual and rustic. We were there for lunch on a Saturday and it was busy. The entire time we were in the place there was a line to be served - it's good to see that this is as popular as it is. The line moved quickly, though.

I had a delicious tomato basil soup and then the "peppersteak po'boy", which was served on stretch bread. The flavors and textures in this sandwich were incredible, and the bread was delicious. I had a green side salad with a really nice sweet/sour dressing.

Their coffee is from Recess Coffee - a local roaster, and they also offer a full range of espresso drinks. For desert I had a coffee and a strawberry shortcake cupcake, which was one of the best I had ever had. The children with us had peach cobbler shakes which were also delicious. We also tried the chocolate chip cookies, which were massive and excellent.

Often I associate vegetarian and vegan food with compromise, but I don't feel that I compromised at all for this lunch. I heartily recommend it to local vegetarians, vegans or just omnivores that are prepared to try something different.

Reviewed 7 April 2017

Strong Hearts serves a variety of vegan dishes in a warm atmosphere. The food is very tasty, which can be difficult to achieve with only vegan ingredients, and the prices are reasonable.

Reviewed 28 March 2017

This is the only truely vegan restaurant in the Syracuse area. We drive an hour to get here. This reveiw is for our last 4 visits. Everything we have had on the menu is excellent with the only exception of the pizza. My son and I went for dinner on a Friday and were told they only serve pizza after 6pm on Friday. I make vegan pizza at home at least once a week which is quite delicious and enjoyable. This pizza was made with a premade pizza crust which was aweful. The toppings were great but the crust ruined the pizza. Only can give 4 stars as the restrautant is frequently out of ingredients for shakes. Our last visit the shake machine was not working and no shakes were available at all. Waited in line 15 minutes to find out we couldn't order a shake. A simple sign would have saved us time. Customers bus their own tables which is fine but the restraunt does not wash tables in between customers'. Customers wiping tables with napkins every visit. Food is awesome but they could improve things. Still worth the hour drive for the delicious vegan menu!

Reviewed 18 February 2017 via mobile

I ordered the spicy tofu scramble. It was served quick. Food was delicious, not as 'healthy' as I was expecting (quite a bit of oil), packed with flavor. Restaurant has an interesting menu, they use organic ingredients. It's a great quick bite vegan option downtown Syracuse. Plus the funky vibe and music selection is quite enjoyable!

Reviewed 14 February 2017 via mobile

Milkshake was pretty good. They have a ton of options certainly good options for food if your trying to eat healthy or are not a meat eater. Small intimate place inside a brick bldg. prob would miss it if you weren't looking for it. Lots of coffee options too