“Best lobster roll in my life.”
Review of The Fish Friar

The Fish Friar
Ranked #32 of 780 Restaurants in Syracuse
Price range: US$ 9 - US$ 22
Description: Our mission is to bring super-fresh, wild-caught seafood from the coast of Maine to Syracuse, combining culinary flair with thoughtfully curated wines, exclusive craft beer and an inviting New York City-style atmosphere.
Reviewed 28 February 2018

Mark Bittman of the NYT argues the best lobster roll consists of one using a toasted sweet bun, knuckle and claw meat and a lot of it, salt and pepper and a drizzle of butter on top. Thats it; no mayo, celery, paprika and lettuce etc.. Simple.

Fish Friar serves this lobster roll and it's just about the best thing I have had with seafood. The only other thing that comes close to it are the bbq oysters in the Acme Oyster Bar in New Orleans.

Reviewed 26 February 2018

I grew up in Maine, and am very particular about my seafood. The new Fish Friar casual restaurant in downtown Syracuse does not disappoint. The dozen heavy wooden tables in a small space with exposed brick and an open bar were all occupied, even early in the evening. Service, including Derek, who identified himself as "management," was top-notch. There are four unusual craft beers on tap, and the outgoing bartender volunteered a sample before placing our orders. Our very fresh haddock fillets extended off the dinner plates. They were lightly coated with a crunchy breading that was never gummy inside. It is easy to overcook thin fillets, but ours were perfectly cooked. Housemade tartar sauce was simply outstanding: thinner than the usual mayonnaise-based condiment, and loaded with flavorful dill and a few small pieces of dill pickle. Sides included coated french fries, very fresh coleslaw which was not drenched in dressing, and a yummy potato salad, scooped out like ice cream, with fresh chopped celery and red onion, and, again, not dripping with mayonnaise. Two desserts were offered, from a craft bakery down the street. We look forward to our next trip!

1  Thank OtterDaughter
Reviewed 21 February 2018

Like many other Lenten warriors, last Wednesday I was looking for some good fish fry. I randomly came across the Fish Friar, which is somewhat new to Syracuse, and I am so glad that I did! I knew it would be busy, but took a chance with take out. The location is downtown, the space is a gem. Small, intimate, with a steel bar lots of table for two, long and narrow. Not unlike some of my favorite eating destination in Europe. I ordered the standard, fried haddock ( we are in the Haddock belt!) with coleslaw and tartar sauce. There is a separate area for take out, had to wait a bit as they were slammed, but it gave me a chance to watch the team in the kitchen and see the guts of the operation. The kitchen is extremely well run, open to the eyes of the diner. Everything and I mean everything is home made and the difference is obvious. I got my fish, planned to eat it at home but could not wait and devoured it on the spot. The haddock was crispy and the freshness was unparalelled. Not a drop of grease. The coleslaw was crisp and fresh, and the tartar sauce was herby and full of zest obviously home made. I ate the entire thing and felt great. I went back tonight and sat at the bar, and had four of the most luscious, perfectly fried shimp with that addictive tartar sauce and am still blown away. Had a chance to chat with the charming and attentive bar tender over some Rose, and watched as not a single plate came back with any leftovers. This place is to die for, a new favorite for sure. Be prepared to wait, not ideal for a big group, great for solo dining.

Reviewed 18 January 2018

I absolutely love this place. The atmosphere is really great and the staff is very friendly. The fish and seafood is very fresh and tastes amazing and they have a great selection of beers from smaller breweries that you can't get at other places in the city and they rotate regularly. Highly recommend.

Date of visit: January 2018
1  Thank cusegal17
Reviewed 3 January 2018 via mobile

My Wife and I visited this small but delightful restaurant for lunch and had a fabulous meal. Being from England I know my fish and chips and it is hard to find a good “chippy’ but this one had it all. Fresh fried haddock with chips and mushy peas. The mushy peas while not quite authentic were very good and a nice twist on the original. Definitely 2 thumbs up. My wife had the fried Haddock with coleslaw and Mac and cheese and was delighted. We had a pint each of some of their really good brew to wash it down. You don’t get much better than that. Wish I had taken a picture to post. If you are in the mood for a good beer great fish and chips and mushy peas then this is the place to go!! Really good service as well.

Date of visit: December 2017