New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“clean room, good company...” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Howard Johnson Inn Suffern

Howard Johnson Inn Suffern
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Suffern
“clean room, good company...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2012

good to see you again my good friend V; even if we barely kissed. nice clean room, played cards and drank a few beers, helpful staff and good morning b'fast selection. would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

I stayed in room 224 for the night with my family and we were very comfortable. We were greeted in the afternoon by a very helpful and friendly clerk and the room was comfortable, maybe a little worn but definitely not "dated" like some other reviews mention. The breakfast was good, juice, coffee, cereal, bagels, muffins, danishes and waffles (yes you have to make them yourself, so what?) Overall for the price we paid ($71.00) this place was perfect for our needs.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Haddon1
Sewell, New Jersey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2012

I am a general go with the flow kind of girl, not to frilly and if it has a bed and a bathroom I am happy. This place had no real redeeming qualities about it. We booked it because of a funeral for a family member. When we walked in the woman who was supposed to be at the front desk was lounging on the chairs in the lobby. Check in was quick. When we got into our room it was so hot. This is April by the way and the room seemed as if no one went in there to turn on the air or any ventilation whatsoever. When I turned on the air and had a strong smell of urine, not sure if someone peed into the air conditioning? Either way it was disgusting. Beds were comfortable but I am pretty sure there were bed bugs because I woke up with bites that I did not have the night before. My Boyfriend's family kept reminding us that there was a continental breakfast. Well that included cereal, muffins, and waffles which you have to make yourself. Than when breakfast was over the woman in charge of the breakfast bagged up all the extras to be reused the next day. Which was gross because it was eggs and nothing seemed to be kept at a sanitary level. Anyway this place wasn't even good for its price, I mean I would expect some place like this to run around the $40 range when it turned out to be about $90. I heard the hotel up the road is so much better, the holiday inn. I would suggest to go there.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Jenmcb13

Travellers are raving about these Suffern hotels

Liberty, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 March 2012

I was surprised by my comfortable stay after reading negative reviews. My husband was a patient at Good Samaritan close by and I needed a couple night stay walking distance.I found the room to be very clean all the ammenities you would need and never worried for a moment about my stay.Hotel staff was courteous and I even used the early morning treadmill. I was very happy.

Room Tip: I chose non smoking and king bed, was perfect
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
Georgia523
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2012

We stayed here for a week over the Holidays. We wanted to leave and stay someplace else but everything in the area was either booked or really expensive. This place is DIRTY, SMELLY and just plain disgusting. All the carpets are dirty and smelly. They sprinkle carpet fresh behind the furniture and in the closets to cover the smell. The County houses welfare people at this hotel and we learned it's called the Crack hotel. We left our expensive wall charger when we left and a hour later I called to say I left it there, but they stole it. Staff won't even acknowledge you when you walk in. AVOID at ALL COSTS.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Creeper523
Also consider these accommodations in or near Suffern
0.4 km away
Quality Inn
#1 of 2 in Spring Valley
4.5 km away
Hampton Inn & Suites Mahwah

Been to Howard Johnson Inn Suffern? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK