“Comfortable, convenient location”

Fort Place Bed & Breakfast
Fairfax, Virginia
“Comfortable, convenient location”
Reviewed 16 December 2010

Was looking for a reasonably priced place to stay and found this place through Tripadvisor. Was able to get entire floor (2 bedrooms, sitting room and bathroom) to accomodate family of 4. Rooms were comfortable and warm and the location (about a 10 minute walk to Staten Island ferry) was good. Area around the place is not attractive, however, I felt rather safe even when walking home at night. Breakfast was nothing special (bread, butter/jam, coffee/juice and fruit) but it worked. Was a plus that I could park my car in the driveway for free. Also it is not too expensive to park at the ferry if you did not want to walk. About the only con was that the curtains on the windows did not provide a lot of privacy at night.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank Dan L
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Worthing, England
Reviewed 8 October 2010

Myself, my partner and our two grow up kids stayed here the week before Chrismas and it was great!
Paul the owner was very descreet but welcoming.
The B&B itself is a delightful place to stay, very homely and the decor is warm and friendly. The weather when we were there was Freeeezing!!! But the rooms we stayed in ( we had the whole top floor) were very warm and cosy and a welome relief from the cold and the Chrismas madness in Manhatten.
I would not hesitate to recommend this B&B to anyone visiting New York and we will hopefully be staying there again next September.

• Stayed December 2009
3 Thank jackiechan6
Newport, Wales, UK
Reviewed 25 May 2010

I stayed in Fort Place from 13th to 20th May 2010 and it was how I imagined it. A short walk to the Ferry and a real haven outside the hustle and bustle of Manhattan.

I rang Paul in February and booked over the phone, paying one night to reserve, cost about £47 at that time. The remainder was paid the day before I checked out.

I would recommend to you to take the booked taxi option to the B&B, after getting off an 8 hour red-eye, I was glad to get transport there. I would make sure you have a map and the phone number as many cabbies have never been to the island and didn't know how to get there. I had one such cabbie but I gave him the address and he used his sat nav. Took about 40 minutes from the airport and cost me $60 inc tip and tolls. The quoted price at the airport is handy as you don't have to rely on the metered service and get ripped off. If you are really cheap then you could catch a service bus into Manhattan, head for Battery Park and catch the ferry to Staten instead but I think convenience and swiftness when I arrive. Paul will also phone and book a local cab which will collect you and take you to the airport when you require one. (maybe a different cost if you fly to JFK or LaGuardia as I flew into the closest one EWR)

The B&B itself was great, nice room and adjacent room for breakfast which was promptly delivered by 7:30am each morning. Bagel, choice of tea or coffee and fruit to start the day. For those who wish to eat something hot, I would sometimes eat out as hot breakfasts were abundant and cheap. The ferry terminal has plenty to offer as does Manhattan. I had full privacy during my stay and Paul was around when I needed anything but didn't see him otherwise. The bathroom is directly across the corridor and was always clean and tidy. The decor was very olde-worlde and made the trip even more special, was a very well kept clean and tidy establishment and a real home away from home. I can take or leave modern accomodation and would rather something that looks older and easier on the eye. There was more than adequate clothing space and haad room to keep my laptop open and also use the wireless internet service when needed.

There is a deli that stays open until 10pm every night and a few bars and restaurants in the area, plenty of choice or if like me, you spend every waking moment on Manhattan - I spent more or less 14 hours a day out and about so didn't venture out to eat (this time).

Ferry service is easy (every quarter hour in the morning, half hour in the afternoon and every hour in the night) and its free! After a few times, its good to take a book to read as the ferry does take 20 minutes to reach the Manhattan terminal.To get to it, just leave the guesthouse, walk down the road, turn right and then left and walk down to the town hall. There is a walkway on the left side and the ferry terminal is in front of you - that simple. Once you make Manhattan, there are several subway stops outside and to make the most of the city, I would recommend a $27 unlimited METRO card which buys you travel for the entire week. It suited me fine and was great once you work out the lines and how to navigate them. If in doubt, ask a fellow traveller or look at a map, they will both help you out as I found out.

All in all, I found Fort Place to be the diamond in the rough, the ace in the hole, the good guy out there - last time I came to NYC was for my 30th (nearly 7 years ago) and hotel prices have shot right up. This was both an ideal price and a nice base easy within reach of any of the major attractions.

I have recommended this to a few friends as they were impressed by the price, the photos and what I have told them about the whole experience.

Hope this helps you make a decision.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank Timster1973
Pensacola, FL
Reviewed 3 January 2010

My girlfriend and I stayed here from 12/22 - 12/25 on our first ever trip to NYC. Making the reservation and finding the place was painless. The room (first floor King Bed) was even better than we expected. The price is OUTSTANDING for the proximity to Manhattan and for the amenities provided. Paul, the owner, is very nice and helpful, and brings a nice breakfast of bread, fruit, and hot coffee (or tea) to your room every morning without waking you. The Staten Island Ferry is about 3 blocks down the hill, runs day and night, and is free.

Because of all the above I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this B&B to anyone. Our only complaints are very minor. The week we were there it was quite cold and the room offered little respite. I'd guess the room temps stayed around the low 60s. Not horrible, but upper 60s would have been much more comfortable. Along the same lines, the shower never seemed warm enough. This was caused by a combination of a lack of truly hot water and the design of the shower, which seemed to pull in cold air from the surrounding room. Brrrrr! Thankfully, the bed was both comfortable and covered with thick, warm blankets, so we were able to stay warm while sleeping.

Like I said, these are minor concerns and of no importance at all if the weather is warm. Overall, this was a wonderful experience and I will attempt to stay here on any future trip to NYC.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lazlotdog
England
Reviewed 4 December 2009

This has got to be the most unique place I have ever stayed.

Even the photo's on here do not do it justice.

From the moment you enter the welcoming front porch and into the property you just feel "at home".

The Owner, Paul, made us feel welcome and led us to our beautiful room on the first floor.

We were amazed at the size and old fashioned grandeur of the room, which contained the biggest bed I have ever slept it!

It has a fantastic old fashioned fireplace, and all the furniture was very carefully chosen to blend it all together into an Victorian era.

Just off our bedroom was a separate kitchen which led through to the bathroom.
The shower had been fitted into the kitchen area which was a little bizarre, but didn't interfere with us eating a freshly prepared and delivered breakfast each morning at 7.30am.

Paul had thoughtfully laid out leaflets and book on New York by the front door that we found very useful and a nice touch.

We had a fantastic holiday in New York but I cannot stress enough how wonderful it was to escape from the crowds of Manhattan to our retreat 1/2 an hour way each night. The views from the Ferries, and the Harbors at each end are breathtaking.

Fort Place is 5 minutes walk away from the ferry terminal, slightly uphill, but there is a bus up if your feeling lazy! This is free if you show your Metro ticket I believe, but we never caught it.

Around the Hotel was a quiet area, with a Deli across the road selling anything and everything you may need. Very close by are other shops, bars and restaurants.

When the time came to leave Paul, at our request, organized a local Taxi cab for us to get to Newark Airport. This turned out to be a gorgeous Lincoln with a great driver who only charged us $45. (minus a tip). This was fantastic as when we arrived at Newark we had been advised by others to take the train or coach into Manhattan ($15 each), followed by the Metro ($2.25 each|) then finally the Staten Island Ferry (free).

I fully recommend Fort Place as a beautiful, special place to stay while visiting New York.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
4.8 km away
BEST WESTERN Gregory Hotel
BEST WESTERN Gregory Hotel
#29 of 72 in Brooklyn

Been to Fort Place Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK