“What a Dump, and What a Shady Operation” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Birds Nest Motel

Birds Nest Motel
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Skaneateles
Vermont
“What a Dump, and What a Shady Operation”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2012

I don't know where to begin. I reserved 3 rooms and specifically gave the dates, and asked for an email confirmation, which I never received. When my daughter called to add a day to her reservation, she found out that the rooms had been reserved a month LATER than we had reserved them for. Then, when I called the manager to tell him that someone else was picking up the tab on my son's reservation, and that my son had reserved his own room he said fine, no problem - he would deduct the room charge from my credit card deposit and cancel the third room. Again I asked for written confirmation, but received none. When we got to the motel, the room we had was musty and smelled awful. (We had to take all our clothes that were in a plastic wardrobe bag and further encased in clear plastic to the dry cleaners for an additional charge of $85.00.) We paid for two rooms for 2 days up front. Period. The second morning of our stay, the assistant manager called and told me we were being charged extra because our daughter never checked into her room. WE SAW OUR DAUGHTER TAKE HER ROOM KEY AND WALK IN THE ROOM. The assistant manager said I would have to take that up with the manager, Bob Evans. When we checked out, Bob told us we were docked $110.00 for the third room we booked. This after I had cancelled the third room well in advance of the cancellation date. He said he would have to "eat" the cancellation. I pointed out to him that I never received any written confirmation, and he said that they "always" send confirmation. LIE.
Then, I pointed out that he did not have the reservation date correct the first time, and he said in a menacing tone - "Don't even go there with me because that was rectified." He told me he would credit my account from the money he tried to dock, but to be on the safe side I called my credit card company and disputed any charge coming from the motel. If after this review you STILL decide to stay at this dump, make SURE you get written confirmation. Also, pay up front and do not accept any false charges. And bring your own shampoo, since the packets that are provided are impossible to open. If I have any problems with the disputed charge, this establishment is going to get reported to the Better Business Bureau.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
10 Thank Bevi525
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Needham, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2012

I made reservations five months in advance for five rooms from Friday to Monday to attend a family wedding. I was never sent a confirmation, but my credit card was charged $709 to hold the rooms, I suppose, but no one informed me of this! A few days before the event, two of the folks I reserved rooms for needed to arrive a day later, so they called the owner directly. Long story short, the owner said that the reservations were for Friday through Tuesday and he was not reimbursing us for the $709 charge. Even though he was able to rent out the rooms, I was out my money. Skanaeteles is a great little town, but I recommend that you stay anywhere but here. Bob Evans, the owner, is a crooked businessman who took my money and then did this same thing to other folks who were also in town for the same wedding.

Room Tip: Book a room at one of the inns in the center of town.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
10 Thank Kim G

Travellers are raving about these Skaneateles hotels

Abingdon, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2012

Stayed here at last minute on way through finger lake region. Stayed in a room with a jacuzzi at the back. Staff very helpful and friendly with loads of tips for dinner in town. Breakfast was ok - bagels and muffins really.

Room was quite clean though dont look too hard behind the beds... Rooms could probably do with a deep clean. Coffee machine in room hadnt been emptied between uses.

Quite good value for the money.

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank tungstenthedog
Burlington, Vermont
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 September 2011

Wasn't horrible, definitely seen better. Close to town, but smelled a little musty. The front desk staff was very friendly.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank 6Cal6
Osterville
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2011

Excellent place and very friendly staff. Spacious and very clean rooms with air conditioning and very cozy. Not noisy at all as last year when we stayed at the holiday inn at Auburn it was very noisy and this was a nice change. They have a nice pool here too and the doggy at the bird's nest is very friendly and likes to play ball. They have a food and ice cream place right next door which is convenient. Definitely coming back next year.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
3 Thank Michaelp92
Also consider these accommodations in or near Skaneateles
4.1 km away
5.4 km away
Skaneateles Inn on 20
Skaneateles Inn on 20
#2 of 7 in Auburn

Been to Birds Nest Motel? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK