“Try to drive further...”
Review of Super 8 Sidney NY

Super 8 Sidney NY
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Sidney
Lincoln, Nebraska
“Try to drive further...”
Reviewed 8 September 2011

I often stay at Super 8s when in a place not covered by Hotwire. Like any chain, I realize properties can vary widely. This was a last-minute booking made by phone earlier that day and I appreciated the staff's helpfulness on the phone that morning. The hotel is located just off I-88 and surrounded by a Mickey D's, a Pizza Hut, and a K-Mart. Trying to figure out just how to enter or leave the property can be a bit tricky. The check-in was effortless and I was given good directions for convenient parking and accessibility to my room. I was also close to the ice machine - a big help when chilling insulin.

The room was spare, to say the least. The one "easy chair" from which to watch TV was a hard, uncomfortable, "sit-up-straight" desk or table chair. The bathroom lacked a shower curtain. A call to the front desk elicited a chuckle from the clerk but no offer of a shower curtain -- not even a "If you can come to the desk, I'll give you one." Needless to say, no staff member came to my room to provide one. When I mentioned this to the cheerful check-out clerk the next morning (OK, I didn't want them to think I'd stolen their shower curtain), I was told that on busy nights the housekeeping staff can become overwhelmed and "forget things." Uh, I've never stayed ANYWHERE with a missing shower curtain in my decades of travel! I guess I should have been grateful for the teeny bottle of shampoo (forget conditioner and/or lotion).

What irked me most was the price - $72 for an AAA rate (no senior rate offered) which, with taxes, came to over $80. To put this in perspective, two weeks earlier I'd stayed 3 nights at the Westin at Horton Plaza in San Diego and 4 nights at the LAX Westin at $74/night and $73/night respectively. Yes, these were booked on Hotwire. But $80 for a below-grade Super 8 in rural New York State was ridiculous.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank Jim H
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Reviewed 13 April 2011

Absolutly terrible. My job takes me all over n.y and I've been in and out of hotels my whole life. This was one of the worst. I waited at the front desk for at least 15 minutes while the woman talked on her cellphone in the back. She seemed apologetic about the wait but not really interested. My room was tiny as to be expected but the bed was the hardest thing I've slept on and I've camped on the ground before. The sheets were unbearable because of how scratchy they were and the ac/heating unit although digital didn't work at all. I bailed on the room after the woman at the front desk had the helpful insight to say unplug it and plug it back in. Other than that there's nothing I can do there are no maintenance people on shift.

• Stayed April 2011
2 Thank Joshua S

Travellers are raving about these Sidney hotels

Wisconsin
Reviewed 21 June 2010

Run down and tired looking place, but I can deal with that.

The lock on my first room didn't work, but the front desk staff switched me with no hassle. I can deal with that.

Second room had mold in the sink and toilet, but I can deal with that (esp. because it was very late and I was very tired).

Got ready for bed and pulled back the sheets to find that the bed sheets were FILLED with someone else's filth - hair, crumbs, and a few things I couldn't figure out. I can't deal with that and left.

The front desk staff was friendly and apologetic, but did not seem particularly surprised.

This was the first time in over a thousand nights of hotel stay that I bailed on a place in the middle of the night. My strong suggestion: AVOID.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank SvenSconnie
Dallas/Ft. Worth
Reviewed 20 August 2009

The extended family booked 5 rooms here. Most were okay--Super 8's usual room MINUS refrigerators and microwaves (which we needed). We had 3 rooms on one side of the 2nd floor hall--all together--and 2 rooms opposite--also together. Unfortunately one of the rooms seemed to be infested with bed bugs. Although the hotel was overbooked that night (according to the front desk people), they were able to find a vacant room to move the family members out of the bed-bug room. The rest of us were worried about getting bitten and contaminating our clothing and luggage. It was a creepy situation but since this is the only hotel in the town, we were stuck for the 2nd night. Doubt seriously I would ever stay here again.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank traveler6245
Vancouver, Washington
Reviewed 23 October 2008

This place is well above average for a budget motel. We walked up late and received a very reasonable rate on our room. Breakfast was what one would expect at a budget place, but we got a few semi-healthy calories from some cold cereal, juice, milk, and a bran muffin before hitting the road.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
2 Thank hikeandread
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sidney
31.0 km away
29.1 km away
Super 8 Norwich
Super 8 Norwich
#1 of 2 in Norwich

Been to Super 8 Sidney NY? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK