“Excellent Food at a Fair Price”

Maxon's American Grill
Ranked #58 of 326 Restaurants in Schenectady
Reviewed 6 April 2018

This was our first visit to Maxon's. We were warmly greeted and promptly seated. Maxon's has a large select of sandwiches and meals to meet and demand. There always specials for the day. They also have a large selection of craft beers from local breweries. The food was great and the beer was tasty. I strongly recommend a stop in you are in the area

Reviewed 8 February 2018

First time at this Guilderland Ave restaurant. Nice neighborhood watering hole with a comfortable menu.We began with wings, good size and came with some nice dipping sauce. The bacon burger and Turkey BLT were good sized sandwiches.I had the Philly steak which was good, not great. Tater tots were very good. Our server Jess was very attentive and the bar had a nice selection of beers to choose from. Our bill for 5 people including drinks came to $85.On a cold night, don't sit by the windows. We will return again.

Reviewed 8 November 2017

Rotterdam is not typically along our path of travel, so it is not a surprise that I’ve never driven by and seen Maxon’s and then thought about exploring there. It was based upon a suggestion of a friend that we go there to try their burgers. And so, with a final destination of Proctor’s in Schenectady, we decided to have our pre-show dinner at Maxon’s.

Let me say my first surprise was finding the restaurant on the edge of a residential area. It was good that my copilot was alert, otherwise I might have driven past it coming from downtown Schenectady. Luckily, arriving early allowed us to get a spot in the small adjacent parking lot, and to grab a table before what were likely the local regulars began arriving. The bar was actually pretty much full already.

From a reasonable list of draft beers that includes some local craft brews, my wife ordered a pint of Guinness and I, a pint of what our server described as a “brown beer with a coffee flavor from Rushing Duck” ($6 each). Knowing that I like Rushing Duck, but not being aware of a “brown” with a coffee flavor, I was pleased to find out what they were serving was the Beanhead Coffee Porter. Excellent beer.

Our server did such an excellent job of pitching the evening’s specials that we ordered them all. We started with the Irish Tots ($9.99), typical tots mixed with corned beef and a creamy, cheesy topping. Boy, there were a lot of tots! We ended up having to pack some up to go home so we’d have room for the next two specials.

Keeping with the Irish theme, my wife ordered the Irish Tacos ($9.99). Three, six-inch corn tortillas with pieces of corned beef as the protein and the standard lettuce, tomato, grated cheese, and a squirt of one of the creamy sauces that was on the tots. Everything was fresh and they were tasty.

I followed the friend’s recommendation and ordered a burger. This evening’s special was a Double Bacon, Pepper Jack Cheese Burger ($12.99). I ordered it medium-rare and it arrived closer to medium-well. The fresh cut fries were a mix of warm and room temperature with a goodly amount of salt. Nothing special in the flavor of the beef, but the double bacon was a real hit and the spiciness of the pepper jack cheese came across quite well.

This establishment has a pleasant roadhouse type feel, yet it’s not out on a country road. It’s a good value for what is served.

Reviewed 12 October 2017

My wife and I have been there a few times and have not been disappointed.
We have suggested to a lot of people who also love it...
It's small but worth the wait..

Reviewed 26 September 2017 via mobile

Visited a couple of times, food excellent both occasions. Their specials and specialty burgers are incredible, and their sides are very good. The 50-50 burger is amazing (50% ground beef and 50% ground bacon). Surprisingly good selection of craft beers. Great for pub atmosphere and food!