New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Love It” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Total Tennis

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Saugerties
Total Tennis
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Saugerties
Miami, Florida
“Love It”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 April 2011

just finished a 3-day weekend - Amazing!!!

instructor was great - Guillermo. s nice, engaged and funny.

chef was friendly, food was good - though hard to really enjoy because i was afraid of overeating!!

room was very clean amd i never needed anything, but very camp-like and basic.

i will go back within the next 2 months for sure. love it!

• Stayed April 2011
1 Thank Robert C
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Binghamton, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2010

The overnight accomodations at Total Tennis were average, the food was excellent, the tennis instructors were helpful, and the cost was too expensive. The only eyebrow raiser was what I would call an unsanitary hot tub. Overall I'd rate this adult Tennis Camp a "C", but I wish I could find some other adult tennis camp that was more upscale for a more reasonable price.

It would also be great if they offered single rooms for single guests without charging them extra!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank JoeOnTheGo2010
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 September 2010

The tennis was not good. A weak player was left in our group and another player flirted with our tennis pro the whole time --it was like get a room already for chrissakes. lol
The tennis is the luck of the draw and the owner won't switch it up. He doesn't seem to give a damn about that. He does care about money though and at every turn you'll be asked to buy something, from massages to tomatoes. The drills were no different than what you get at your local club at home.

However, the food was excellent and hanging out with other tennis junkies was a blast. Even though the tennis was bad it was a weekend in fresh air and nature. My room was fine and the bathroom was simple & clean.

Everyone will tell you it's cheap or a great deal. I don't know. Maybe I'm poo' or cheap. Seems like a fair price. I could get 12 private lessons for same price.

I would go again and hope to land in a more even tennis group. Just know it's more of a social thing than a game improvement weekend.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank zonazona
Jersey City, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2010

Total Tennis is camp for adults who play tennis. 10 hours of tennis over Saturday and Sunday. It's a full schedule with lots of time to practice. The pros were good, the courts were in good shape and the balls were brand new (though, I heard they've been playing on dead balls for quite awhile before this weekend). You declare your skill level (beginner, 3.0, 4.0, etc and you are assigned into a group of four with one pro. The cabins are very basic. It was fine for a place to sleep and shower. The shower wasn't great - cold then hot, hard to manage the temperature. The food is cafeteria style and it was ok. Nothing fancy, but nourishing with lots of options for fresh salad and fruit. For those who want to drink at the end of the day, there is a bar and plenty of opportunity to have cocktails. I wouldn't recommend the cocktails if you came to play, though - most of the pros work the players to their max and everyone looked tired. Overall great experience and a great place to receive instruction with a small group. There is a pool and a hot tub. Pool looked nice and I didn't see the hot tub. There is a spa on site and my $80 one hour massage was outstanding. I'm definitely going back this summer and would recommend it to any tennis player looking to improve their game.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
2 Thank sabell
Long Island, NY
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2010

Total Tennis is just what the name says… they offer midweek and week-end stays. I went up here Fri-Sun, 4/30-5/2, the first ‘summer’ w/e where the outdoor courts are open. with 3 friends, all in our 50’s. It was a full house with 65 people. I would say 90% were female, age range 30’s – 60’s, all from the tri-state area, with ‘many’ repeat guests. We did find it odd that one couple brought their 7-week baby with them. They also offer single week-ends (although my friend that went to one in Nov. said many were not single) and kid week-ends.

We got up to Saugerties on Friday afternoon and stopped in the town, which was rated by travel guru Arthur Frommer as “one of the 10 coolest smallest towns in the U.S.” It was very quaint, with LOTS of restaurants and antique stops. We had a fabulous lunch at Miss Lucy’s but Love Bites across the street looked equally appealing as well.

We arrived at Total Tennis around 4:00pm. When we made our reservations, the only rooms left were in the ‘cabins’ as opposed to the main lodge. All rooms are very basic, no-frills, 2 beds, 2 nightstands, a dresser, a closet, and a bathroom. We also had an electric heater which we used one morning (before it became 88 degrees outside) and a room air conditioner. I did hear that some rooms are bigger than others (ours was small) and one group of 3 we met had a triple room, but all are basic. Some of the reviewers here talk about the amazing room views or room dividers. Ours had neither – no room divider and the view was of grass and cabins. But being in a cabin, we had a porch and we liked our location, next to the hot tub.. .

There are 20 outdoor courts, 2 astro-turf, 11 clay, and 7 hard court, surrounded by the Catskills mountains. There are indoor courts as well, used when it rains and in the winter. The food as noted is delicious, included lots of vegetarian dishes, and the chef Dan I believe is from The Culinary Institute in Hyde Park. I also heard for a short time he had to leave, but he is back, so that could account for some of the people here rating the food as just adequate previously. It is buffet style and except for dinner, you bring your dirty plates back to the kitchen. One negative about the dining room is the very noticeable LOUD noise level. You can tell by the sound buffers installed on the sloped ceiling they tried to remedy this, but to no avail. Since on our w/e when the room was filled, it was difficult to carry on a conversation with a person sitting diagonal from you.

Some of what was offered and as my friend noted, mostly the same each week:

Friday night dinner: salad bar, lentil soup, roasted chicken, pasta stuffed with cheese, veggie dishes, homemade breads, chocolate cake

Sat breakfast: French toast, bacon, eggs, cereals, blueberry muffins, fruit

Sat lunch: salad bar, meat and veggie fajitas, Spanish rice, guacamole, chicken, tuna, and egg salad, oatmeal raisin cookies

Sat dinner: salad bar, roast beef, salmon , mashed potatoes, pasta with porcini mushrooms, brussel sprouts, ice cream sundaes

Sun breakfast: pancakes, eggs, bacon, sausage, cereals, fruit, scones,

Sun lunch: pizza, swedish meatballs, roasted squash and beets, veggie dishes, chicken, tuna, and egg salad, brownies

24/7 you can get coffee and ice tea, cranberry juice, lemonade, and ice.

Saturday night there is a wine and cheese party in the main lodge which has a nice lounge, small bar, 1 computer with internet (wi-fi in the lodge), a piano, a library with games, and a small pro-shop.

Sat night was a DJ in the barn, along with foosball, ping pong and a pool table.

The indoor hot tub is small but then again, I suppose adequate size because it was never crowded. There is a BIG outdoor pool for the summer months.

Massages are $40 for 30 minutes (I think) and they book up early. If you want a massage, I suggest reserving it before you arrive. We were one of the first to arrive and most slots were already taken.

The tennis w/e program starts on Sat. morning at 8:45am. After a demo and announcements, you are grouped by ranking (2.5-4.0+) or if you come up with your own group. Many come up in groups but there are also a good number that come by themselves. Everyone seemed happy with their tennis pro (there were about 20 since our w/e was full) and from what I could see the format is similar….warm-up with min-tennis, drills, games, mental strategy. Everyone also gets a 30 min. private lesson. We ‘reserved’ Vic – he is VERY nice ! On Saturday afternoon there is an optional round robin if you want to participate. Other posts mention being videotaped and strokes analyzed and one of my friends had this done on a previous midweek trip, but this was not done this w/e. (maybe because it as a full week-end?) I would have liked some time to play tennis with other guests and more than 1 round robin opportunity.

The w/e we went it was 88 degrees. You walk down a hill to get to the courts and you are on the courts a couple of hours each session so you should be in decent physical shape.

Things to bring:

1. something insulated if you want to have ice on the court with you. At check-in everyone gets a cup and there is water and Gatorade on the courts and you can get ice in the kitchen. But the ice in my cup melted very quickly in the hot weather.

2. sun tan lotion

3. hat and sunglasses

4. bug spray

5. shampoo (they have blue liquid they call soap and shampoo) and hair dryer

6. casual clothes – even on Fri and Sat night, dress is very casual

7. bathing suit for hot tub and or pool

My group had a great time and we all want to go back and 2 have been there before. It was announced that we save $100 if we return in the summer session which is a nice incentive since the w/e did cost over $500 each. Going mid-week is a better deal and less crowded. Some previous posts made comments about Ed, the owner. We found him to be pleasant but had no direct dealings with him. Ellen who runs the front desk and managers the place is friendly and efficient.

If you want an intensive tennis get-away with great food, then go and have fun !!

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with friends
7 Thank RhonaP
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saugerties
5.8 km away
19.0 km away
Hotel Dylan
Hotel Dylan
#2 of 3 in Woodstock

Been to Total Tennis? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK