“Delightful Stay”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Chapel Hill, NC
“Delightful Stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 April 2012

We stayed at the Gideon Putnam with friends for a long weekend. While it is not a new facility, it still has a great deal of charm. Our room was spacious and clean, with a lovely porch. The shower did have endless hot water. The staff was fantastic: Charles the waiter, Rich the doorman and Amy at the front desk all went out of their way to make us feel right at home. Everything we asked for was addressed immediately (dinner recommendations/reservations, shuttle service to downtown). We arrived early, but had our room within 10 minutes. The Roosevelt Spa is a very short, lovely walk across the park that the hotel is in. The grounds allow for beautiful walks or bicycle rides. The last afternoon we were there a bagpiper was playing out on the quad across from the Spa. The town of Saratoga Springs is lovely with many superb restaurants. We will definitely go back and will recommend the Gideon to our friends and family.

Room Tip: The rooms with the porches on the end of the hotel are the way to go.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
DelawareNorthCos, General Manager at The Gideon Putnam, responded to this review, 26 April 2012
Thank you very much for your kind review. It's great to hear about your positive experience with our staff as customer service is the cornerstone of our business. Thank you for recommending our hotel to your friends and family. We will be sure to provide them with the same great service as you experienced should they come for a visit.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
Boston, Massachusetts
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2012

Stayed here with a girlfriend for a spa weekend. We arrived pretty early on a Saturday and were delighted to be able to check in before noon! Parked our cars out front and unloaded into a creepy old elevator that apparently overheats enough to warrant a warning sign. Yikes. Got to the room and it was lovely - like a little studio apartment. There was a hidden mini fridge, flat screen TV, desk and a huge bathroom. The bathroom was antique, with a tiled floor, floating toilet and big mirror. Robes were also provided. My only complaints were the inability to control the room temperature (which was set at a steamy 76!) and the dim lighting. Even with all of the lights on, it was still pretty dim in the room. Good price in the off-season, though. Skip the ridiculously priced $27/person brunch. Go to town instead where you can eat for two at that price. The person at the desk did give us good suggestions for brunches in town.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank LittleOneNYD
Thank you for your comments. We are glad to hear you had a nice weekend and enjoyed our accommodations and amenities. We apologize for the room temperature and will take your comments back to the team to make sure we are aware of this issue going forward. Thank you again for your review and we hope you come back for another stay.
West Sand Lake
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2012

My husband and I were very excited to be staying at the Gideon Putnam. We figured we would have a nice little getaway from the kids and use the spa. From the moment we walked in we were very disappointed. We had to wait 20 minutes until someone was able to check us in. The staff were to busy chatting with each other to even notice that we were standing there waiting for them to help us. The hallways going to our room were gloomly and cold. Our room was cold, and dirty. It was very dusty and smelled like mold. There was also alot of hair on the sheets as if someone had taking a nap in the bed before we arrived. We asked where the spa was and was told that it was a 10 minute walk....Really!?! We were there for an hour and checked out. I have stayed at Holiday Inn's that were much nicer. Never again!! The only nice thing I have to say is that when we requested our money back, they were very understanding and didnt give us a problem about it.

2 Thank Angie B
DelawareNorthCos, General Manager at The Gideon Putnam, responded to this review, 16 April 2012
Thank you for your feedback. I’m sorry to hear of the problems you encountered during your stay. We will take your comments back to the team as we are always looking to improve our accommodations and give you the best customer service possible. We hope you give us a chance to demonstrate our improvements in the future. Thank you again for your review.
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 April 2012

We went for a long weekend in April. While it's true that this is not a modern hotel, and it is perhaps a little bit down at the heels (the paint on the ceiling of our porch was peeling), it is a really great place that manages to preserve the look and feel of what it might have been like to stay there in the 1930s when it was built. Our room was comfortable with a large closet, a decent sized bathroom, endless hot water, a beautiful view out the front of the hotel, and a large, flat-screen t.v. We will go back.

Room Tip: We had a porch suite. The porch wasn't terribly well heated, so it might be a bad choice in Wint...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you very much for your kind review. We are happy to hear you enjoyed your stay. I’m sorry to hear of the problems you encountered during your stay. We are a historic hotel so our aim is to provide the comforts of modern amenities while still keeping the rich history of the space intact and we are glad you enjoyed our efforts. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope to see you again soon.
emmkab
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2012

I stayed at the Gideon Putnam Hotel this past week for a conference. I was extremely nervous since I read so many poor reviews, so I was expecting the worst. In fact, I almost didn't book a room at the hotel because of all the bad reviews. The only reason I finally did was for convenience sake. I am happy to say that the hotel was very, very, nice. If you are looking for a generic Hilton, you have come to the wrong place. This hotel has character and is much more classy than a typical Hilton or Hyatt. I am an extremely picky guest when it comes to cleanliness, comfort, and service. I probably stay in about 40 hotels per year (most of them 3- 4 star and above), so I feel as though I am a good judge in quality hotels. And I rarely write reviews of hotels, but I feel like some of the previous reviews did not do this hotel justice. The sun rooms and the grounds are spectacular. The room I stayed in was a deluxe King room. Plenty of space in the room. The bed was very comfortable (and I have a bad back and a memory foam (that is hard to live without) bed at home). I called ahead of time because I didn't want to get stuck in a small standard room. I guess being proactive is the key here. The service was good--not over the top--but good. For a town like Saratoga Springs, it was probably the best service around. I sensed many of the workers have/had a tough life. The food was outstanding. It's a grand, beautiful, old hotel and I am so happy I stayed there. I am also thrilled that the management company brought this hotel back to life. We also had a free shuttle service that took us in to town- not sure if that was part of the conference or if it is done all the time. Also, if you stay at the Gideon Putnam, make sure you bring your empty water jugs--there is a spring less than 1/4 mile away from the hotel and you can fill up your jugs with spring and mineral water. I am happy I stayed at the Gideon Putnam rather than one of those boring hotels in town.

Room Tip: Call ahead to make sure you get the type of room you want.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Thank you very much for your kind review of our hotel. I’m so glad to hear you enjoyed our accommodations and especially happy to hear our food was outstanding. Thank you again for taking the time to comment on our historic hotel and we sincerely hope you had a great conference and come visit us again in the future.