“Stately Victorian Mansion in Delightful Town”

Batcheller Mansion Inn
Adelaide, Australia
“Stately Victorian Mansion in Delightful Town”
Reviewed 28 May 2012

It is impossible to write a less than excellent review of this bed & breakfast: no item or aspect is anything but that. Read the other reviews! We were also struck by the friendliness of the townspeople – miles of smiles! Horsey people will know Saratoga Springs; non-horsey people are best to avoid the racing season and be enchanted by a delightful, charming town.
And to stay at the Batcheller, as you must do, will guarantee you a marvellous break.
We were only able to stay one night – make sure you stay longer!

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Skaneateles, New York
Reviewed 21 May 2012

A must stay place in Saratoga Springs. From the moment you push open the 12' doors to enter-you are transport back to the Victorian Age replete with original period furniture and decor.
We came to celebrate our 12th wedding anniversary-a more memorable time I doubt we will experience for many a year.

Room Tip: These are Victorian flights of stairs-unless you are ready for a strong cardio workout-stay on the s...
1 Thank stever401
Cazenovia, New York, United States
Reviewed 7 May 2012

This was our first time to Saratoga Springs. The Batcheller Mansion Inn was stunning in its architecture and its history. Chelsea welcomed us warmly upon our arrival and gave us a brief tour of the Inn. Dan made fabulous cooked to order breakfasts each morning for us and had cookies in the library during the day. I definitely recommend spending time in the library looking at the scrapbooks. The history of the house and the Batcheller family is very interesting and Dan is extremely knowledgeable also. I would absolutely return to the Inn on our next visit to Saratoga Springs!!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Greenville, South Carolina
Reviewed 24 April 2012

Having visited the inn on a prior tour, I was eager to return as a guest. Chelsea took the reservation in a very business-like manner, and greeted us upon our arrival. The inn is somewhat intimidating from the outside, but once inside, the house is beautifully appointed. It has been lovingly restored to close to its original magnificence and each room is unique and interesting. The library (our favorite) is comfortable and one can spend quite a bit of time exploring the intricate details of the woodwork, furniture and artifacts found there. Dave, (the manager/cook?) was wonderful -- serving an unbelievably delicious breakfast (entrees of which there were many to choose from) -- and he also was generous with his time as he explained elements of the property. We did capture some ghostly orbs in the upstairs hallway, and found the feel of the place to be comforting and homey. The rooms are graciously appointed and one can easily feel as if they have stepped back in time. It is also within walking distance to downtown and many wonderful restaurants -- and sits right on the main park grounds, so it is somewhat quieter than most places downtown. I would highly recommend a stay at this beautiful property.

Room Tip: The larger "suite" rooms on the second floor are magnificent; the billiard room on the thi...
1 Thank MRL217
Skaneateles, New York
Reviewed 23 April 2012

I have to start by saying that the Victorian corsets and tea parties on the lawn vibe is usually not my thing so keep that in mind as you read. That being said, this place really impressed me. My wife picked it out as a little getaway for a weekend. We like to see what's happening in galleries and the art scene so we look for excursions like this that put us near clusters of art dealers and art studios. Saratoga Springs has that.

The first thing that hits you as you drive up is the shear scale of the thing. It's big. It's also maintained meticulously (outside AND in) so it doesn't have that oh so bothersome "oh look, someone opened a B & B in a mansion again without enough capital or experience" thought. The gardens are nice but the real show stopper is the architecture. Classic Victorian with porches, spires, "throw it all in the pot" color combinations, nooks, crannys and adornments.

The interior is equally as impressive. You'll be greeted with 10' (total guess) tall double doors that weigh about 200-300 pounds (again a guess but not far off) each. Into the foyer of dark heavily carved paneling and then into the main house. All I can say is "wow". Too much to talk about in any detail without boring the reader so let it suffice to throw out some words: Dark woods, beautiful carvings, elegant, crystal, grand, big, plush, larger than life, spotless, warm, original artwork, history maintained, period style but not "costumey" or corny, stately...you're getting the picture I'm sure. I had heard it was all those things but it still surprised me.

Important Note to husbands and boyfriends: I hear what you're saying in my head as I write this because I was saying the same thing. "It sounds a little froo-froo, frilly and uptight. Not thinking I'm going to be too into this but I can put my game face on and persevere for the points." Well it's really not that bad. No, it's not Five Guys but they do what they do in a way that's not going to leave you craving the nearest sports bar. If you erase the vision of tea parties and flower arrangements and plug in the vision of a dark paneled study while smoking cigars (although of course you can't smoke in the Inn but stick with my here) with friends on leather couches in front of a fireplace with scotch or brandy talking about the new coach at Rutgers, you can get into the vibe without too much compromise. You won't be slamming beers and fist pumping. However you also won't be wondering what to do with yet another seemingly extraneous fork at dinner or that weird little knife, paddle, spreader thingee that showed up in a place setting at one of your more pretentious friends dinner parties.

They offer any number of rooms to relax in without feeling like you're in someone else's house. B & B's have a way of feeling like that to me and I can't ever really get comfortable. This place is big enough to wander and find a room, nook or porch somewhere to sit and decompress with your partner. You'll notice I'm talking about your partner a lot. This place is romantic. Nuff said? They do offer their Inn for business events, occasions and the like and I'm sure they do a fine job but it seems finely tuned to romance even still.

We stayed in the Roosevelt room on the third floor. Here's one of the two less than perfect moments we had. Partly due to us not doing our research and partly due to over zealous housekeeping. We had a chance to catch a peek at another room complete with the same rich vibe as the main floor but our room was less expensive and the only one available at short notice. It was small and rather austere in comparison. Next time we come, we'll want something a little more posh and with more space. The only other item was something we hadn't anticipated but perhaps should have. I hate (and I do mean HATE) the smell of bleach. It gives me headaches and makes me feel sick. The bedding, though pristine as the entire room was, had a heavy smell of bleach and on walking into the room, I knew I wouldn't be able to sleep in there. The manager on call turned this into a win though. I called and mentioned my dilemma and she offered to send someone up to strip the bed and wash everything in clear water. That was handled quickly professionally and didn't leave me feeling like "that guy". Not a single eye roll or patronizing attitude (all too common in these kinds of places). Many thanks for that. Had a great nights sleep. The room was silent and almost tomb like (in a good way if you get my meaning).

Now the breakfast portion of Bed and Breakfast. Yummmmm....like I'm not even kidding. Yum and more please and who came up with the idea to stuff homemade french toast with fresh blueberries and cream cheese!!?? That would be Dan, the Inn Keeper. Why have I lived 48 years and missed this heaven like culinary invention? dan cooks also and I learned that he also participated in the furnishing and renovations of the mansion. Interesting guy and I wish I had more time to talk him up. As it was, he was genuine, gracious and welcoming. We came down to breakfast and there was an awesome selection of fresh homemade scones, juices, coffee, tea, fruit and then when we thought that was it, there's Dan at our table asking us what more we wanted? He suggested the stuffed french toast and I was sold but he would have made eggs, hash browns, sausage etc. Everything was delicious without even the slightest hint that any bit of it came off the back of a food service semi-truck a week ago (I hate that).

It rained almost the whole time we were there so we weren't able to get out too much but we did hang out on one of the porches for a while after breakfast with our coffees and talked about oh...what-ever. Very nice. The Inn is very close to the downtown area with all the restaurants, bars, shops galleries, art district, etc. We did spend some time walking around town the next day when the rain let up. Many of the galleries were closed on Sunday which was a little disappointing but not genuinely frustrating.

All in all, a really nice stay and we will come back in the summer.

Room Tip: Unless your on a business trip and aren't looking for extra's, don't do the Roosevelt ro...